RIP "Blud"

Another One Gone
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zinzola bumperless
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:25 pm 

This is 1 of the 2 cues I got in dealings with previous owner.
Previous owner offered this cue up in a trade to another seller. Seller of cue he wanted was not interested.
Fired off a PM asap. He told me that was the only way anyone could have know he was considering selling.

Chad<--- Lucky others didn't know this cue was about to be listed FS.

Elephant ear wrap & all white is Ivory.
After seeing this cue for the first time. I started checking Tony Z's site. I was lucky enough to get one of his few spots for a new cue build.
Working on my pics, enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Zinzola bumperless
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:07 pm 

Tony is doing some amazing work, no doubt.

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 pm 

Have you seen his recent ring work? Wow stuff
This http://www.zinzola.com/pics/cues/2010/06-02-10-002.jpg
or this one? http://www.zinzola.com/pics/cues/2010/05-31-10-002.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:50 am 

WOW, great pick up. Tony is doing some great stuff, he's one of the new guys out there to keep an eye on, although that last cue you linked looks a bit to much like a Haley for my tastes. I would like to see someone with so much promise create his own look.

Jim <--- Would love to see some of Tony's other work

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 pm 

Nice pick up, Tony keeps pushing the envelope, His inlay work alone, is as tight as anyone's and probably tighter than most. Tony's policy is, If you send a picture of someone else's cue, Be prepared to make some changes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm 

JimBo wrote:
WOW, great pick up. Tony is doing some great stuff, he's one of the new guys out there to keep an eye on, although that last cue you linked looks a bit to much like a Haley for my tastes. I would like to see someone with so much promise create his own look.

I believe that ring work was requested by the customer.
I have not seen enough Haleys to compare it to.
Either way Tony is making beautiful cues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 am 

JimBo wrote:

Do you really think someone would confuse the cue you referenced with a Haley? The ringwork and inlays are unique to Tony... I have never seen any other cuemaker use those inlays or rings. I believe Tony has done a great job creating his own look.

I suppose you are referring to the Ivory area between the points. Haley has certainly done that, but not sure if he was the first. When Ron puts that design element in a cue he uses it for engraving.. obviously, there is no engraving in this cue.

I talk to Tony a lot, and the cue cue you referenced is coming to me. I can tell you we talk a lot about design and how Tony can separate himself from other makers. I believe he is doing that. He is always willing to think outside the box when it comes to designs.

ratcues wrote:
There are so many things in the world that inspire cue art. Another cue doesn't need to be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:07 pm 

Worminator wrote:

Do you really think someone would confuse the cue you referenced with a Haley? The ringwork and inlays are unique to Tony... I have never seen any other cuemaker use those inlays or rings. I believe Tony has done a great job creating his own look.

I agree those are his inlays, and those rings are diffrent, but I'm looking at the cue as a whole, the veneers (use of paper & overall look) The ivory pieces between the points with the work in it. Now I agree the cue has diffrent elements then a Haley, but if you don't see it Jamie you my be a bit too close to the situation to see it. And trust me Ron's work is the best as I am sure you know trying to emulate him is a good idea.

I suppose you are referring to the Ivory area between the points. Haley has certainly done that, but not sure if he was the first. When Ron puts that design element in a cue he uses it for engraving.. obviously, there is no engraving in this cue.
Not engraving, but he did put similar type design in there with the silver, again I am in no way calling it a copy, just saying it gives me a Haley feel

I talk to Tony a lot, and the cue cue you referenced is coming to me. I can tell you we talk a lot about design and how Tony can separate himself from other makers. I believe he is doing that. He is always willing to think outside the box when it comes to designs.
It sounds like Tony has the right idea and he's on the right track I don't want this to be an attack or a negative post. As a matter of fact I think you know that I feel Ron makes some of the best stuff out there today, I don't know about Tony but only because I haven't worked with him or held one of his cues, but from the pictures it looks like he's doing great work. If I had any money I'd call the guy and order one, it seems in a short time he's advanced his skill set and he's pumping out some great work.

Jim <----Broke azz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 pm 

JimBo wrote:
I don't know about Tony but only because I haven't worked with him or held one of his cues, but from the pictures it looks like he's doing great work. If I had any money I'd call the guy and order one, it seems in a short time he's advanced his skill set and he's pumping out some great work.

I hear he claims he knows 95% of what there is to know about cue making already... :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm 

The Hamster wrote:
JimBo wrote:
I don't know about Tony but only because I haven't worked with him or held one of his cues, but from the pictures it looks like he's doing great work. If I had any money I'd call the guy and order one, it seems in a short time he's advanced his skill set and he's pumping out some great work.

I hear he claims he knows 95% of what there is to know about cue making already... :-)

I didn't think you were one of those guys who just goes by what he hears from others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:
I didn't think you were one of those guys who just goes by what he hears from others.

It's a private joke for Jimbo, Mike. Ever hear of William Lee from Texas?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:47 pm 

The Hamster wrote:
Michael Webb wrote:

It's a private joke for Jimbo, Mike. Ever hear of William Lee from Texas?

Yes Sir,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm 

The Hamster wrote:

Jesus Christ. Asshole comments like this is why I don't post much on the boards. You don't know a thing about me, so don't make assumptions. Have you ever heard me say I know 95% of anything? I seriously doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:53 am 

Tony Zinzola wrote:
Jesus Christ. Asshole comments like this is why I don't post much on the boards. You don't know a thing about me, so don't make assumptions. Have you ever heard me say I know 95% of anything? I seriously doubt it.

Tony, my sincere apologies... it was a little joke for Jimbo's benefit and nothing at all to do with your beautiful cues (which I think are truly astonishing and I'd love to own one).

You know what they say - they're not funny if you have to explain them but I was referring back to a discussion on RSB between Jimbo and a new cue maker by the name of William Lee from Texas. YCLIU.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 am 

No problem. I also apologize for my outburst. Ross actually explained it to me right after I posted it. I was going to delete my post, but figured I'd leave it up. Mainly because somebody else would also likely not understand the joke and assume I said those things as well. I didn't even know who William Lee was, so I certainly didn't get it.