Been a Tough Year
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JB Cases Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:54 pm 

Introduction to JB Cases

http://www.jbcases.com/casesbyname.html

http://www.jbcases.com

My name is John Barton. I make cue cases in my workshop in China. I started Instroke Cue Cases in Germany in 1991 and sold my remaining stake in in 2003. In 2006 I moved to China and in 2007 I began building cases again. We started with a small workshop with just me and two employees and today we have 7 employees, myself and my wife. We make one of a kind cases like you see above, we make the GTF Cases, http://www.gtfcases.com, we make prototypes for mass production, and I have designed and created most of the new cases for Sterling Gaming.

My foundation is in cue protection and I have written an essay to explain my thoughts on how a cue should be protected. http://www.jbcases.com/protection.html

I am a controversial person on these forums because I generally do not take the politically correct route and withhold my thoughts on issues. Because of that I have many detractors who can't stand me personally. However most of my business comes from forum members despite my outspoken manner. So I have come to the conclusion that for every person who swears they will never buy from me because I don't say what they want to hear on any particular topic or I don't behave as they want me to then there are more people who seem to be ok with me as I am and so the orders keep coming in. If you are a potential customer and you want to get familiar with my "dark side" then go to the John Barton is an Asshole thread in the main forum started by this forum's namesake and you will see my responses. If that turns you off then I have a list of other great case makers on my front page for you to choose from.

If you do decide on getting a case from me then I will do my best to make sure it's super protective inside and that the exterior is exactly what you have have always dreamed of.

I have set up my shop to be able to do just about anything in leather. There are very few challenges I won't take on when it comes to making a case. We have a large format laser cutter/engraver and we design and cut our own parts, often able to make new pockets and parts that others can't or won't do. I have a full time tooler on staff to handle all requests for highly decorated cases. We often combine the laser engraving and the hand tooling to come up with some innovative designs. We can do inlays, overlays, detailed laser engraving, hand-tooling, we can dye to any color.

So, that's it. Feel free to browse through our portfolio of completed cases and if anything suits you then contact me at jb@jbideas.com to discuss it further.

I disagree, for me there is right or wrong, and a lot of well established FRIENDS have done WRONG.
Jim <---Wrong is wrong, friends don't get a pass from me

Post subject: Re: JB Cases Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:37 pm 

jbideas wrote:
Introduction to JB Cases

My name is John Barton. I make cue cases in my workshop in China.

Do *YOU* make the cases or are they made by workers in your factory?

Jim <---Not sure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 pm 

JimBo wrote:
jbideas wrote:
Introduction to JB Cases

Jim <---Not sure

Jim, if John actually made the cases, he wouldn't have to live in China. His company is located in China for the same reason a lot of the big companies have stuff manufactured there, CHEAP LABOR.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 pm 

[quote="jbideas"]Introduction to JB Cases

John I don't think your case Gallery can be complete without a Photo of your biggest fan the Cococrazy Cowboy. John I don't think that you understand just how Looney old Bruce really is. Have you ever met him in person? Well I have never met him either because I did want to introduce myself. On the other forum you stated that everyone should follow Bruce and support the Boy's and Girls clubs by gathering items for donation to them. On this point I agree, for those of us who have the time to help out it is time well spent.

But, when you collect items for a charity they should go to that charity and in no case should those item's be sold for your personal gain. If you find that the item's sent are not useful to the organization of your choice, they should be returned to the sender or sold and then the money collected should be donated, but at know time should a donated item be used for personal bennifit.

Now there are some people in Arizona who have openly stated that many of the items in question were misused, and this information was brought up in a thread on AZ which was immediately pulled. I just thought you may want to know what you are standing up for John, I may be wrong but I did not think you knew this part of the story!!

Good night

Put your heart into America or get your A$$ out of it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:58 pm 

I make the cases. It's my company, my employees, my designs, I own all the equipment, the cases come into existence through my investment and ongoing effort.

Without me the cases don't exist.

So,

I make the cases.

I disagree, for me there is right or wrong, and a lot of well established FRIENDS have done WRONG.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:12 pm 

Manwon wrote:
jbideas wrote:
Introduction to JB Cases

John I don't think your case Gallery can be complete without a Photo of your biggest fan the Cococrazy Cowboy. John I don't think that you understand just how Looney old Bruce really is. Have you ever met him in person? Well I have never met him either because I did want to introduce myself. On the other forum you stated that everyone should follow Bruce and support the Boy's and Girls clubs by gathering items for donation to them. On this point I agree, for those of us who have the time to help out it is time well spent.

But, when you collect items for a charity they should go to that charity and in no case should those item's be sold for your personal gain. If you find that the item's sent are not useful to the organization of your choice, they should be returned to the sender or sold and then the money collected should be donated, but at know time should a donated item be used for personal bennifit.

Now there are some people in Arizona who have openly stated that many of the items in question were misused, and this information was brought up in a thread on AZ which was immediately pulled. I just thought you may want to know what you are standing up for John, I may be wrong but I did not think you knew this part of the story!!

Good night

Craig,

Is it really necessary to bring this up here? Or in my for sale thread at AZB? I get it that you don't like Bruce. Join the club.

I don't judge you based on who you are friends with or who likes you and supports you that I don't happen to like. The fact of it is is that no one is going to be universally liked and friends and "enemies" will always overlap.

That doesn't mean we should stalk them by stalking their friends. I am not going to disown or denounce Bruce because of anything you say about him. If you want to carry on a campaign against him then it's certainly something that no one can stop you from doing. But to carry it over into my threads really is kind of childish and something that I thought both of us should be beyond by now.

As far as I am concerned Bruce is fine and certainly is not deliberately vile and malicious like a lot of real predators who frequent these forums. He has been an honorable and honest customer who does what he says he will do. He is ok to talk to and has had an interesting life as a photojournalist among other things. He has become a friend on top of being a customer. I would think that it's clear to everyone that there isn't much that will get me to abandon my friends.

My friends are often controversial and like me they don't go with the "in" crowd. That's just the way we roll as the saying goes. Despite this life continues on somehow so I guess in the end it's just not important.

Now, what does this have to do with cases?

Not a damn thing really but since you want to discuss it that's my feelings on it.

The only picture I have of Bruce is him at the Boys and Girls club giving them the cues we sent. I suppose that you are right and I should write a blog post about that project and show that picture of him. Hopefully the story will inspire others to follow in Bruce's footsteps and try to insure that the kids in their local community centers have proper equipment and instruction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 pm 

Rich R. wrote:
JimBo wrote:
jbideas wrote:
Introduction to JB Cases

Jim <---Not sure

Jim, if John actually made the cases, he wouldn't have to live in China. His company is located in China for the same reason a lot of the big companies have stuff manufactured there, CHEAP LABOR.

Boring.

If you actually understood anything about business then you wouldn't make blanket assumptions.

But since you did let's rip it apart just for the fun of it.

1. If I did make the cases all by myself then living in China would still be beneficial to me because I am near plenty of resources like machine shops, giant leather markets, plastic extruders, sewing machine companies etc.... In addition the cost of living is lower so I could make the cases for less and charge less which saves the customer money.

2. My company is located in China because I am located in China. If I lived in the USA and decided to do what I do then I would make it happen there. I owned a company in America and employed five people for two years until I dissolved it.

3. I am in China because Sterling Gaming sent me here. I happen to have met a wonderful woman whom I married and we have a great life and a growing business. Cheap labor is just a bonus of being here which means that I can provide more case for less money to my customers. In all other endeavors value is calculated by getting more for less and that is what I deliver. If I made cases in the USA then I would either have to charge much more or offer far less. Being here and having a business is a product of chance and not design. Contrary to your statement I didn't come here with the express intention of starting another case company. But because the opportunity exists for me to build a shop here for less investment than I would have in the USA I took that opportunity and have a shop that affords me the ability to build cases that others won't touch.

So I am in China. Get over it. At the International Cue Collectors Show happening right now I get NOTHING but praise for the cases I am showing. You don't even want to know the list of people who are my customers. And all of them know my cases are made in China by me and my team.

Maybe it would make you happy if I relocated my shop to America and employed two people for what it costs me to employ seven in China and at the same time cut my capability drastically. Perhaps you would feel better if I charged $3000 for cases which people can now have for $1200. At the end of the day the money remaining to me as profit would be about the same either way. Only you would have to come up with $1800 more to own one of my cases in that class. I know that the basic economics of this are very difficult for you to comprehend but if you feel like donating money then you don't need me to donate it to. On my front page is a list of case makers in the USA who will be more than happy to take your donation.

So in conclusion, while I am not in China for the cheap labor I certainly would be really stupid if I didn't take advantage of it to create a shop that allows me to build cases which are simply well beyond what the competition is even capable of.

Or are there any other case makers who are building cases as well done and diverse as these for less?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:21 am 

John I am not stalking anyone, and my comments are not based upon anything else. I thought that maybe you were unaware of the shit he pulled, but maybe you are fully aware of what he did and how that entire abortion went down. If you are and you wish to support such behavior that is your right, and please continue to do so, but you brought up his great contributions to billiards community, until this moment I really thought you were unaware of really happened.

Thanks for clearing that up for me John, and it appears for many others as well.

jbideas wrote:
Manwon wrote:
jbideas wrote:
Introduction to JB Cases

Good night

Craig,

Is it really necessary to bring this up here? Or in my for sale thread at AZB? I get it that you don't like Bruce. Join the club.

I don't judge you based on who you are friends with or who likes you and supports you that I don't happen to like. The fact of it is is that no one is going to be universally liked and friends and "enemies" will always overlap.

That doesn't mean we should stalk them by stalking their friends. I am not going to disown or denounce Bruce because of anything you say about him. If you want to carry on a campaign against him then it's certainly something that no one can stop you from doing. But to carry it over into my threads really is kind of childish and something that I thought both of us should be beyond by now.

As far as I am concerned Bruce is fine and certainly is not deliberately vile and malicious like a lot of real predators who frequent these forums. He has been an honorable and honest customer who does what he says he will do. He is ok to talk to and has had an interesting life as a photojournalist among other things. He has become a friend on top of being a customer. I would think that it's clear to everyone that there isn't much that will get me to abandon my friends.

My friends are often controversial and like me they don't go with the "in" crowd. That's just the way we roll as the saying goes. Despite this life continues on somehow so I guess in the end it's just not important.

Now, what does this have to do with cases?

Not a damn thing really but since you want to discuss it that's my feelings on it.

The only picture I have of Bruce is him at the Boys and Girls club giving them the cues we sent. I suppose that you are right and I should write a blog post about that project and show that picture of him. Hopefully the story will inspire others to follow in Bruce's footsteps and try to insure that the kids in their local community centers have proper equipment and instruction.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:08 am 

Manwon wrote:
John I am not stalking anyone, and my comments are not based upon anything else. I thought that maybe you were unaware of the shit he pulled, but maybe you are fully aware of what he did and how that entire abortion went down. If you are and you wish to support such behavior that is your right, and please continue to do so, but you brought up his great contributions to billiards community, until this moment I really thought you were unaware of really happened.

Thanks for clearing that up for me John, and it appears for many others as well.

I am completely unaware of the specifics of the accusations you are making.

But that's not my point.

My point is that the place to discuss them is NOT in my for sale threads. On AZ I have a case for sale. You came out of the blue with an attack on Bruce.

Here I am showing off my cases in the gallery and you continue the attack on Bruce.

If your intent is to inform me of something you think I should know concerning people I deal with then the proper place to do it is in private and if not that then at least in a separate thread. I think you get what I am saying here.

If I ever found out that Bruce misappropriated anything we donated to him that was intended a charitable donation then I would have issues with that. As far as I am aware all the goods we sent made it to the intended destination.

So I hope we are all good on this subject. If you want to open a thread about it here then feel free. I am sure that you will get several people who will jump on the "insult Bruce" bandwagon whether your accusations are true or not.

I don't really care for the drama anymore - it's completely stupid and juvenile. BUT people seem to thrive on "talking about" other people and knocking them down so I get it. It's entertaining, ego-boosting, and cheap to do. If people had to pay for the privilege of knocking other people then most of this would stop in an instant.

Imagine what the world would be if you had to pay a fee for every word you write? Would you then spend money knocking people or would you spend your time looking to accentuate the positive and build a better environment for yourself?

I think I might just try this (starting after this post of course). I will charge myself a nickle for every word I write that isn't strictly business. Could be a good savings account for me. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:05 am 

jbideas wrote:
Maybe it would make you happy if I relocated my shop to America and employed two people for what it costs me to employ seven in China and at the same time cut my capability drastically.

Yes, that would make me very happy. At least two Americans would be making a living in these hard times. It's not just you and your company. I would like to see a lot of companies end their off shore opperations and come back to this country.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:58 am 

Rich R. wrote:
jbideas wrote:
Maybe it would make you happy if I relocated my shop to America and employed two people for what it costs me to employ seven in China and at the same time cut my capability drastically.

Yes, that would make me very happy. At least two Americans would be making a living in these hard times. It's not just you and your company. I would like to see a lot of companies end their off shore opperations and come back to this country.

Well, partially off my efforts RIGHT NOW there are at least 18 AMERICANS who have a job.

Sorry that the simple economics is beyond you and that you'd rather take the short view. You don't have to go to college for this there is plenty of economic proof on the web free for the reading if you ever cared to educate yourself as to why a free market is what lifts the whole world and not just a select few.

Luckily for me where and how I do my business isn't tied to insuring your happiness.

When the competing case maker whom you generously donate twice the money to for a comparable product takes that extra money and buys himself a nice big flatscreen that was made in China then maybe you will get it.

Or not. Not my problem. I think you have told me that you aren't in my customer pool either. So as hard as it is for you try and refrain from telling me how to live my life and run my business, especially if you are going to do it from a position of economic ignorance. Wrap yourself in the flag somewhere else. The profits from the cases we make and manage employ more Americans than you can count.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:11 pm 

I think I might just try this (starting after this post of course). I will charge myself a nickle for every word I write that isn't strictly business. Could be a good savings account for me. :-)[/quote]

John I appoligise for invading your thread, I was out of line.

I think you have a great idea above, one that I think I should also do starting today.

Respectfully

jbideas wrote:
Manwon wrote:

I am completely unaware of the specifics of the accusations you are making.

But that's not my point.

My point is that the place to discuss them is NOT in my for sale threads. On AZ I have a case for sale. You came out of the blue with an attack on Bruce.

Here I am showing off my cases in the gallery and you continue the attack on Bruce.

If your intent is to inform me of something you think I should know concerning people I deal with then the proper place to do it is in private and if not that then at least in a separate thread. I think you get what I am saying here.

If I ever found out that Bruce misappropriated anything we donated to him that was intended a charitable donation then I would have issues with that. As far as I am aware all the goods we sent made it to the intended destination.

So I hope we are all good on this subject. If you want to open a thread about it here then feel free. I am sure that you will get several people who will jump on the "insult Bruce" bandwagon whether your accusations are true or not.

I don't really care for the drama anymore - it's completely stupid and juvenile. BUT people seem to thrive on "talking about" other people and knocking them down so I get it. It's entertaining, ego-boosting, and cheap to do. If people had to pay for the privilege of knocking other people then most of this would stop in an instant.

Imagine what the world would be if you had to pay a fee for every word you write? Would you then spend money knocking people or would you spend your time looking to accentuate the positive and build a better environment for yourself?

I think I might just try this (starting after this post of course). I will charge myself a nickle for every word I write that isn't strictly business. Could be a good savings account for me. :-)

Last edited by Manwon on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:37 am 

As usual John, you choose to insult people rather than discuss an issue.
I am well aware that jobs are created when goods manufactured off shore are transported here for sale. Don't insult my intelligence. I would just prefer that the product was made in the US.

BTW, that competing case maker gets my business because he isn't as insulting and arrogant as you. If you had half of his class, you may have gotten some of my business too. And, when he buys that TV from China, I don't blame him a bit since there is no company making those TV's in this country. I would prefer that they were made here too, but that isn't the way it is right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 am 

Rich R. wrote:
As usual John, you choose to insult people rather than discuss an issue.
I am well aware that jobs are created when goods manufactured off shore are transported here for sale. Don't insult my intelligence. I would just prefer that the product was made in the US.

BTW, that competing case maker gets my business because he isn't as insulting and arrogant as you. If you had half of his class, you may have gotten some of my business too. And, when he buys that TV from China, I don't blame him a bit since there is no company making those TV's in this country. I would prefer that they were made here too, but that isn't the way it is right now.

Not as usual. You chose to make an issue of where my cases are made by erroneously assigning motivation for the reason my studio is located in China.

IN fact you didn't have to make it an "issue" at all but you just felt that it's ok to jump in and bring it up.

Do you feel insulted when I point out that you don't understand the basic economics involved? You say I am insulting your intelligence but you haven't yet shown that you do understand what a free market economy is.

Instead of televisions lets talk about case interiors. So you are paying double for a hypothetical competing case. Ours costs $400 and theirs costs $800 as a hypothetical example.

Is it ok with you that the case maker who charges $800 has the interiors made in China? I mean here is an example of a part which is made in the USA. There are plenty of plastic extrusion factories in the USA who can make the tubes. The sewing for the liners as case maker x does them is easy to do. So you are paying $400 more for the case, wouldn't you expect to have a case where every part is made in the USA if it's possible to do so?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:34 am 

I grow weary of the whole US vs Overseas argument, and here's an example why:

How many of you own a leather jacket? Okay, so, the bulk of the cowhide comes from the US...but the bulk of that cowhide goes to be tanned overseas, where much of it remains to be made into garments or accessories, such as jackets, belts and purses, to name a few. Even if you paid through the teeth to have that jacket made in the US, the leather was still likely tanned overseas. With the various tanning processes these days, the waste is a highly caustic pollutant, and the restrictions against these pollutants is not nearly as stringent as it would be in the US.

In fact, much of the apparel that you wear, and the shoes on your feet are made overseas...doesn't matter if the company is based in the US.

So what about good ol' made in the USA quality, you might ask? I have been wanting the ask the Big 3 automakers that for the better part of the last 30 years....when we were known for some of the crappiest made, low resale valued cars in the market. Finally, Ford got a clue...they're the only ones who didn't have their hand out for a bailout. GM and Chrysler just kept with same ol' formula, and it proved to be their undoing. Now they're busy playing catch-up.

For me, it's not about where it's made, it's about the quality of how it's made. Too often here in the US we sit on our laurels and think we do everything better than everyone else...and that is simply not always the case. We've bought into our own hype...and it's made us complacent. There are countries out there coming out of the 3rd World, and their hungry...and like it or not, they're gaining on us, fast.

Lisa