RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 pm 

Hey, Rex. For dummies like me, can you give an overview of how you add the multiple colors to the leather? Is it like painting, but with stain? I especially love how the same color goes from light to dark on a single element to add even more depth & light/shadow appearance to the design.

Waaayyyyy cool.

Scott

edit to add that I am really a dummy and see that you posted a pic of colors and brushes. But still interest if it is painted on or there is more to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:19 pm 

Heya Scott,
While there is quite a few ways of applying dyes I am using a brush here. There's some pretty tight spots so they're much more accurate than say a dauber. And I can basically mix the dyes right there on the leather as I go to get the fading effect. These are cool dyes because they penetrate the leather unlike the acrylics which sit on top of the surface of the leather (more like a paint). But I am doing something nifty with the color blending that I found out accidentally (but I'll just keep that tidbit of info to myself :).

Heirovision: You know, I didn't even think of that but you're right. I was just color sampling and I happened to like this color scheme the best. Was originally going to do the skeleton in a gray scale and do the machinery in the yellow/gold scale but I thought this looked better. I'll probably start adding in the grays and wish I did it the other way. :lol:

And thanks for the positive feedback. I consider you guys experts so I appreciate it very much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 pm 

Just adding a couple new pics of the case with some colors added to it. Heck, I may even get this completed some day!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 am 

cyrex wrote:
Just adding a couple new pics of the case with some colors added to it. Heck, I may even get this completed some day!

Zoweeeeeeee! That thing is looking good.
How much time do you get to work on cases a day?? Or should I have worded that week?? (maybe month?)

Jim <------Thinking you don't spend enough time in Flame wars to be a "real" case maker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:41 pm 

JimBo wrote:
cyrex wrote:

Zoweeeeeeee! That thing is looking good.
How much time do you get to work on cases a day?? Or should I have worded that week?? (maybe month?)

Jim <------Thinking you don't spend enough time in Flame wars to be a "real" case maker

Thanks Jimbo!

I try to do some sort of project everyday. I don't always work on cases though. I like to try other things that help me learn and just for practice too. I do pin~up pics for my friends, bracelets, guitar straps, etc... I do two workshops a week (saturday/tuesday nights) at Tandy leather. Sometimes it's teaching, but mostly just hanging out and tooling. I'd say an average week of 'leathersmithing' is about 30+ hours. Then just the regular 40+ day job. I live alone, gave up playing pool (with any idea of seriousness), and never watch TV so that helps a lot with free time. :mrgreen:

This is a pin~up pic for my friend that wanted me to match a sticker she got from a Taco Bell vending machine. It's going on the flap of a courier bag.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:02 pm 

You forgot about all the hours you spend stalking women's pool streams on the 'net and FB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm 

Hidy Ho wrote:
You forgot about all the hours you spend stalking women's pool streams on the 'net and FB.

Oh.. you just reminded me of something to do...

Move Ho to the BACK OF THE LIST. Again.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 pm 

I'm still waiting on 150% deposit on a cue from you ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:10 am 

cyrex wrote:
This is a pin~up pic for my friend that wanted me to match a sticker she got from a Taco Bell vending machine. It's going on the flap of a courier bag.

Hmmmmm a skull?

Jim <---Wonders why Cyrex is torturing him

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 am 

That Grenade is wicked cool.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:10 am 

That work is amazing. You should really make cases... :roll:

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair