RIP Dennis Dieckman

Hope There is a Golf Course in Heaven
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
"Commingled Boxes"; shipped out a couple weeks ago.

I've always liked box cue designs and this never-done-before take on the concept is one I've wanted to do for a while:

Image

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
"Commingled Boxes"; shipped out a couple weeks ago.

I've always liked box cue designs and this never-done-before take on the concept is one I've wanted to do for a while:

Image

TW


Looks like Jake's cue of the year winner for 2012.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
ThomasWayne wrote:
"Commingled Boxes"; shipped out a couple weeks ago.

I've always liked box cue designs and this never-done-before take on the concept is one I've wanted to do for a while:

Image

TW

John Barton wrote:
Looks like Jake's cue of the year winner for 2012.


Image

Really, John... is that what you think? Here they are together - in what way does your brilliant eye for design tell you they look alike?
TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
ThomasWayne wrote:
"Commingled Boxes"; shipped out a couple weeks ago.

I've always liked box cue designs and this never-done-before take on the concept is one I've wanted to do for a while:

Image

TW

John Barton wrote:
Looks like Jake's cue of the year winner for 2012.


Image

Really, John... is that what you think? Here they are together - in what way does your brilliant eye for design tell you they look alike?
TW

Try again Tommy, you might need some lessons in how to post a picture.

Of course though you just wanted to try overlapping boxes right after Jake wins Cue of the Year on AZB.

Image

You're right though, Jake's cue is WAY better than yours. What's never been done? Overlapping veneers in a rectangle shape. I think Jake's cue already trumped yours with the overlapping veneers and he chose NOT to do simple boxes. You're going backwards Tommy, people with less fame and less "experience" than you are already way past you.

In fact he is already beyond the COY cue,

Image

You should have respect for Jake's work since you seem to be clearly inspired by it. Yes I am certain you have been wanting to do it for a while, at least since you first saw Jake's work. Your rendition is pretty but still primitive in comparison. All this is of course just my opinion based on timelines. I probably would have been more impressed had you done it before Jake but we don't have that on record do we. Although I am sure you will try and say you pioneered this technique and look 17 years ago and since then 12 cuemakers have sought your advice as to how to do it including Jake.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
John Barton wrote:
[...]
Try again Tommy, you might need some lessons in how to post a picture.

Of course though you just wanted to try overlapping boxes right after Jake wins Cue of the Year on AZB. [...]


Your ignorance is showing more than usual, John - which is REALLY saying something. So is your "eye".. or more precisely, your lack of eye. I've built cues with "overlapping boxes" for many years. Here's a more recent example - which predates Jake's "Cue of the year", by the way:

Image

John Barton wrote:
[...] What's never been done? Overlapping veneers in a rectangle shape. I think Jake's cue already trumped yours with the overlapping veneers and he chose NOT to do simple boxes. You're going backwards Tommy, people with less fame and less "experience" than you are already way past you.
[...]


Can you see the difference yet, John? Undoubtedly not, since you don't really have any originality of your own and have ZERO eye for design.

John Barton wrote:
In fact he [Jake] is already beyond the COY cue,

Image [...]


Still don't get it, huh John? That's okay, I'll help you out. Unlike any other veneered-box cue anyone has done to date - the veneered boxes in "Commingled" are INTERLOCKING around the circumference of the cue. Here, I'll give you another peek (this time with annotations):

Image

In fact, when I saw the photos of Jake's current work I made a quick illustration to show him where I thought he was pulling up a little short with the overlapping design element:

Image

John Barton wrote:
You should have respect for Jake's work since you seem to be clearly inspired by it. Yes I am certain you have been wanting to do it for a while, at least since you first saw Jake's work. Your rendition is pretty but still primitive in comparison. All this is of course just my opinion based on timelines. I probably would have been more impressed had you done it before Jake but we don't have that on record do we.[...]

Oooops! Turns out we DO have that on record - though I am sure your psychotic anger toward me will not allow your diseased brain to process the facts without distorting them significantly.

John Barton wrote:
Although I am sure you will try and say you pioneered this technique and look 17 years ago...


Funny you should say that, John. Here's a close-up of the butt sleeve from my Celtic Prince, a cue built almost exactly 17 years ago (!) Note the Ivory angular point elements that overlap each other? Do you see the striking similarity between Jake's 2013 unfinished design and my 1990's cue? Would your argument be that overlapping the points in laminated veneers is "new" or more difficult than in Ivory? (hint: it isn't - the same machining challenges apply exactly regardless of material)

Image

John Barton wrote:
... and since then 12 cuemakers have sought your advice as to how to do it including Jake.


You'll have to ask Jake about that. In fact, I sincerely hope you do.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
John Barton wrote:
[...]
Try again Tommy, you might need some lessons in how to post a picture.

Of course though you just wanted to try overlapping boxes right after Jake wins Cue of the Year on AZB. [...]


Your ignorance is showing more than usual, John - which is REALLY saying something. So is your "eye".. or more precisely, your lack of eye. I've built cues with "overlapping boxes" for many years. Here's a more recent example - which predates Jake's "Cue of the year", by the way:

Image

John Barton wrote:
[...] What's never been done? Overlapping veneers in a rectangle shape. I think Jake's cue already trumped yours with the overlapping veneers and he chose NOT to do simple boxes. You're going backwards Tommy, people with less fame and less "experience" than you are already way past you.
[...]


Can you see the difference yet, John? Undoubtedly not, since you don't really have any originality of your own and have ZERO eye for design.

John Barton wrote:
In fact he [Jake] is already beyond the COY cue,

Image [...]


Still don't get it, huh John? That's okay, I'll help you out. Unlike any other veneered-box cue anyone has done to date - the veneered boxes in "Commingled" are INTERLOCKING around the circumference of the cue. Here, I'll give you another peek (this time with annotations):

Image

In fact, when I saw the photos of Jake's current work I made a quick illustration to show him where I thought he was pulling up a little short with the overlapping design element:

Image

John Barton wrote:
You should have respect for Jake's work since you seem to be clearly inspired by it. Yes I am certain you have been wanting to do it for a while, at least since you first saw Jake's work. Your rendition is pretty but still primitive in comparison. All this is of course just my opinion based on timelines. I probably would have been more impressed had you done it before Jake but we don't have that on record do we.[...]

Oooops! Turns out we DO have that on record - though I am sure your psychotic anger toward me will not allow your diseased brain to process the facts without distorting them significantly.

John Barton wrote:
Although I am sure you will try and say you pioneered this technique and look 17 years ago...


Funny you should say that, John. Here's a close-up of the butt sleeve from my Celtic Prince, a cue built almost exactly 17 years ago (!) Note the Ivory angular point elements that overlap each other? Do you see the striking similarity between Jake's 2013 unfinished design and my 1990's cue? Would your argument be that overlapping the points in laminated veneers is "new" or more difficult than in Ivory? (hint: it isn't - the same machining challenges apply exactly regardless of material)

Image

John Barton wrote:
... and since then 12 cuemakers have sought your advice as to how to do it including Jake.


You'll have to ask Jake about that. In fact, I sincerely hope you do.

TW


Ok, you were first, you're always first. Now would you mind telling us the story of why you took Roy's cue and held it for ten years without repairing/replacing it? By the way I was fucking with you Tommy. You remain a premier cue decorator.

Many of us would sincerely like to know why you did that to Roy and why you have done it with other customers.

And congratulations, on AZ in my poll two people have so far said that if they were allowed to keep only one cue as their playing cue for the rest of their life it would be a Thomas Wayne. So I was wrong there as well, there are a few people in the world willing to say that they like the way your cues hit even if they own what most other people consider to be much better playing cues than you make.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
Sorry Tommy I misspoke, I meant to say interlocking boxes not overlapping. Of course everyone has done overlapping boxes by now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
John Barton wrote:
Sorry Tommy I misspoke [...]


Yes, of course you did.
"Misspoke", that is.

You're never wrong; you just - after the fact - "misspoke".
Or were "joking".
Or were using "sarcasm".
Or didn't really say what you really said.
Or really did say what you really said, but "everyone" knows what you really said doesn't mean what it really means.

But not wrong. No, not wrong. Because... well, because you're never wrong.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
John Barton wrote:
[...]
And congratulations, on AZ in my poll two people have so far said that if they were allowed to keep only one cue as their playing cue for the rest of their life it would be a Thomas Wayne. So I was wrong there as well, there are a few people in the world willing to say that they like the way your cues hit even if they own what most other people consider to be much better playing cues than you make.



Well, John-John, let's just do a little math... shall we?

To date, 50 posters responded with their choice for "Best hitting cue". Of those 50 respondents, 2 chose Thomas Wayne. Hey, that matches the number who selected YOUR personal favorite cue!

Now, since YOU characterize those two [who chose my cues] as "a few people in the world", it seems any intelligent person would realize that your sampling only represents a small percentage of the TOTAL pool players worldwide. See, J-J, all polls are simply small statistical measures of a much wider "pool" (no pun intended). Here, I'll try to explain that in way you can grasp - yeah, I know... good luck to me, huh?

Two specific choices out of a measured pool of 50 respondents represents 4% of the total surveyed sample. If we extrapolate that out to the 45 million avid pool players (according to your beloved AZB) in the world, my market share should be around 1.8 million customers (!) Yippee! But holy shit, I better get cracking, 'cause so far I've only met maybe 8 ten-thousandths of 1% of that market (0.0008%) in 30+ years. What the hell am I doing burning up time here? I've got almost 2-million cues still to build and time's a wastin' - especially since I don't have a sweatshop in China to do all that work for me.

Of course, your "poll" - which you really hoped would be something you could rub in my face - is pretty meaningless in the REAL world... you know, down here on our planet.

AZB claims a membership of slightly over 30,000. Of that 30,000 we can eliminate around HALF, since that's roughly how many "members" have never posted - so would not have ever participated in your "poll". Then there's around 6% who've posted before, but not in at last 2 years (meaning they probably no longer frequent the joint). And of course, probably 1% of those remaining members who have posted are now deceased (so they're not talking either).

That leaves around 14,000 sorta-active members - minus the maybe 1% that are either "Karen Barton", "Mike of JB Cases", your "brother", or YOU under fake-name accounts you've buried in there over the years. So we're down to around 13,860 members who maybe pay attention to AZB from time to time - out of 45 million pool players in the world. I'd have to say that makes your sample of 50 players pretty insignificant as far as taking an "in the world" measure. Must be very disappointing for you that you were unable to twist such a useless effort into just another cheap shot at me, huh? You stupid shit.

Oh, but wait a minute! Your "poll" actually DID prove something after all. Over 13,000 active members on AZB, and only 50 took any real interest in YOU and your little "poll"! Statistically, that puts the interest-in-John-Barton level - in a forum where you have more accumulated posts than ALMOST ANY OTHER MEMBER - at around 0.0038%. Damn, man, you gotta work on your numbers.

TW
(PS: I know, I know, I just said you're "never wrong" - and now you come along and say you were wrong, Which could be twisted into saying that I was "wrong". But I wasn't wrong because I was joking and it was sarcasm, and I didn't really say what I really said, and...)

(PPS: Did I ever mention we have a room in our house named after you?)



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 6577
Location: CT
ThomasWayne wrote:
"Commingled Boxes"; shipped out a couple weeks ago.

I've always liked box cue designs and this never-done-before take on the concept is one I've wanted to do for a while:

Image

TW


Very cool design, thanks for sharing Thomas.

Jim <-------Loves the connecting box idea

_________________
I am in a very very small group of people that can buy any cue they want that can make that statement.
Congrats,
Nick Serdula


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 2458
I love it. I think its amazing. I suppose there are some similarities to the Jake Hulsey cue but insinuating that this was in some way inspired by Jake's cue is foolish. Then again, its also a pretty transparent attempt by John to just slam someone he dislikes.

Its a real shame too because I would LOVE to see some more of Thomas' cues posted here. They're outstanding. But John can't seem to grow up and thus, he turns an otherwise awesome thread into another John Barton shit storm of lunacy. Hopefully, it won't dissuade Thomas from posting more of his cues.

- B

_________________
[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1565
I had absolutely no doubt that right after I posted my first photo the psycho nut-job would pop in to attack me - and he was right on time. I'm sure he'll continue to try to poison the thread, since that is what he does. But I also believe that the VAST majority of readers will tend to"consider the source", which in his case is a major psychosis coupled with an underlying sense of inadequacy and an overwhelming need for attention.

So fuck him - here's the entire cue:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm
Posts: 1227
Very nice. But them caps are sweet and really set it off.
Commingled, get me a dictionary. Screw it I'm not looking it up. Care if I call it interlaced?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 2458
ThomasWayne wrote:


So fuck him - here's the entire cue:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

TW



Amazing cue!!! Really... amazing!


...but not as amazing as the "so fuck him". :mrgreen:

-B <--------thinks the last 4 or 5 stunning cues I've seen have all had the letters TW on them.

_________________
[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members


Last edited by pharaoh68 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:52 am
Posts: 799
Location: CT
Holy Moly, that is amazing!



Truly incredible work. Thank you very much for sharing.

_________________
2014 AZ Case of the Year Grand Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group