RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2266
Location: Maryland
That cue is flat out freakin' gorgeous. I'm totally jealous of whoever owns it now.

_________________
Rich R.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
pharaoh68 wrote:


Amaong cue!!! Really... amazing!


...but not as amazing as the "so fuck him". :mrgreen:

-B <--------thinks the last 4 or 5 stunning cues I've seen have all had the letters TW on them.


Yeah Fuck me because I stated a simple fact which is still true. The cue looks like Jake's cues. There are similarities.

This is the entirety of my statement - "Looks like Jake's cue of the year winner for 2012."

Of course Thomas took this as an insult and went off.

But no matter because "fuck him" is obviously his business model when we look at what he has done and is doing to Roy and others.

And Tommy don't worry about it, the poll isn't done and I am very sure that the two votes you got were sympathy votes anyway. In fact I couldn't be more pleased that World Pro Bobby Chamberlain said your cue is the one he would keep over all others. I love it when people paint themselves into corners on these forums as he just did. In World Pro's entire time on AZB he has never shown a Thomas Wayne cue that he owns, never talked about how much he loves your cues, in fact never mentioned you at all until the current poll. He has said a lot about other cues, all widely considered to be better than yours when it comes to hit, but NOTHING about Thomas Wayne cues. Makes me wonder if he actually owns one of your cues and if he would REALLY dump all his other cues and keep yours only. I bet not. However would he say it just to go against me? Absolutely.

And beyond that, the fact is that the poll is of course ultimately meaningless because of the fact that every respondent has a different level of experience. But it's a start to narrowing down how to frame the question to be inclusive of each person's experience level and ultimately to come up with a list of "best hitting" cues that does have some meaning.

Plus I don't ever rule out the chance that you could actually build a good hitting cue once in a while. Everyone gets lucky at times.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Last edited by John Barton on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
John Barton wrote:
Sorry Tommy I misspoke [...]


Yes, of course you did.
"Misspoke", that is.

You're never wrong; you just - after the fact - "misspoke".
Or were "joking".
Or were using "sarcasm".
Or didn't really say what you really said.
Or really did say what you really said, but "everyone" knows what you really said doesn't mean what it really means.

But not wrong. No, not wrong. Because... well, because you're never wrong.

TW


In this case I actually misspoke because I did not mean to say overlapping boxes I meant to say intertwining.

I am often wrong. Just not when it comes to you and your thievery and lies.

So we have two issues on the table which you are ducking at the moment.

1. Why did you keep Roy's cue for ten years and not repair/replace it?
2. Why did you imply that my wife was a poor, ignorant factory girl who married me only to be in management?

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 6558
Location: CT
Thomas what are the woods used,
And how long did you struggle with the length of the boxes in the front??

Jim <----Knows proportion is key in these situations

_________________
I am in a very very small group of people that can buy any cue they want that can make that statement.
Congrats,
Nick Serdula


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1562
John Barton wrote:
[...]
1. Why did you keep Roy's cue for ten years and not repair/replace it?
2. Why did you imply that my wife was a poor, ignorant factory girl who married me only to be in management?


1) That is between me and Roy.

2) I already addressed your asinine twisting of words on that issue.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1202
So i'm going to post in this thread and go against what i know to be wise council.

TW, emailed a pic of this cue more than a month before it landed on the internet. Prior to that he had expressed wanting to follow through with some ideas he had for years but never got around too. Basically ideas for box cues, and since it was now becoming the trend, he felt it as good a time as any.
If he was inspired by me in anyway, then i'd say it may only concern timing and the build would be justified as well received as the box cue has been lately.

I will say that the initial picture on my email was a bit of a shock, but it was consistent with our previous discussions and his ideas. We have also discussed at length how i could have done things to improve upon my designs as well as techniques to accomplish that. "All very FREE, very VALUABLE info" Keep in mind, all this was prior to this cue.

TW also knows that his intertwining work is what inspired my intertwining work.

Of course i like this cue....its the style i like

What i dont much care for is the description of the cue.....here or at Cornerstone. To me, "of course it would feel this way to me" It kinda puts off the oneupmanship vibe. Like hey, you may have seen something similar, and you will most likely see people trying to copy it but this is the first and the best. Of course it is...as are most cues with slight variations.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1562
Jake wrote:
[...]

What i dont much care for is the description of the cue.....here or at Cornerstone. To me, "of course it would feel this way to me" It kinda puts off the oneupmanship vibe. Like hey, you may have seen something similar, and you will most likely see people trying to copy it but this is the first and the best. Of course it is...as are most cues with slight variations.


I'm not a big fan of "negative sell", and I'd have to agree that one sentence in the Cornerstone description, while not exactly negative sell, kind of walks close to the line.

Also, to be clear, my opinion that it's "good" to link together over/under designs continuously around the perimeter of a cue is nothing more than that - my opinion. Doing so raises its own set of challenges, and it appeals strongly to my preference for some form of symmetry in a design, but it is certainly not the only (or even necessarily "best") solution to a design problem. There are many ways to de-fur a feline, after all.

On the other hand, while I would never insist that "first=best", if I am the first [to conquer a specific design challenge] I don't see any reason to not stake that claim (so to speak).

TW

EDIT (for Jimbo): The base wood in the cue is Pomelle Bubinga; box interiors are Cocobolo Burl. Accent inlays are Sterling silver and Ivory. The challenge of proportion actually arose in the buttsleeve. Ordinarily I would stay around 5 inches maximum length on a wrapped cue, but when I drew that up the boxes just looked too "squatty" for my taste. So I increased the length by an inch and it seemed to work. I used a textured pigskin for the wrap section to add visual texture in an effort to "offset" its somewhat shorter length.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
John Barton wrote:
[...]
1. Why did you keep Roy's cue for ten years and not repair/replace it?
2. Why did you imply that my wife was a poor, ignorant factory girl who married me only to be in management?


1) That is between me and Roy.

2) I already addressed your asinine twisting of words on that issue.

TW


1. If you think so. But it's actually not between just you and Roy any more because you lied to and about me concerning the cue you held onto for ten years.

2. No, you did not explain what you meant when I directly quoted you. No matter you can explain it to her at the ICCS. She is looking forward to meeting you.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
Jake wrote:
So i'm going to post in this thread and go against what i know to be wise council.

TW, emailed a pic of this cue more than a month before it landed on the internet. Prior to that he had expressed wanting to follow through with some ideas he had for years but never got around too. Basically ideas for box cues, and since it was now becoming the trend, he felt it as good a time as any.
If he was inspired by me in anyway, then i'd say it may only concern timing and the build would be justified as well received as the box cue has been lately.

I will say that the initial picture on my email was a bit of a shock, but it was consistent with our previous discussions and his ideas. We have also discussed at length how i could have done things to improve upon my designs as well as techniques to accomplish that. "All very FREE, very VALUABLE info" Keep in mind, all this was prior to this cue.

TW also knows that his intertwining work is what inspired my intertwining work.

Of course i like this cue....its the style i like

What i dont much care for is the description of the cue.....here or at Cornerstone. To me, "of course it would feel this way to me" It kinda puts off the oneupmanship vibe. Like hey, you may have seen something similar, and you will most likely see people trying to copy it but this is the first and the best. Of course it is...as are most cues with slight variations.


Jake, I don't know you but we have mutual friends. I was busting Thomas' balls by saying this cue looks like yours. I knew it would put him on tilt and it did. I know Thomas knows cue design and has very valuable information on how to do things in cues. I also often help other makers with advice on how to build cases for free, often sending them pictures or videos of how we have solved a problem.

I just want you to know that even though I used your phenomenal cue to needle Tommy a little I have no intention of dragging you personally into the beef I have with him.

I just want to say that I didn't appreciate being called a cocksucker on AZB by Thomas Wayne and that is the reason I am here today to screw with Tommy. It's juvenile but it's makes me smile to bother him after his deplorable actions. Lastly, don't take any business advice from Tom if the conversation turns to what to do with repairs/returns. Keeping people's cues for years and ignoring them is not good business in my opinion even if you sell everything you make for thousands.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1202
John Barton wrote:
Jake wrote:
So i'm going to post in this thread and go against what i know to be wise council.

TW, emailed a pic of this cue more than a month before it landed on the internet. Prior to that he had expressed wanting to follow through with some ideas he had for years but never got around too. Basically ideas for box cues, and since it was now becoming the trend, he felt it as good a time as any.
If he was inspired by me in anyway, then i'd say it may only concern timing and the build would be justified as well received as the box cue has been lately.

I will say that the initial picture on my email was a bit of a shock, but it was consistent with our previous discussions and his ideas. We have also discussed at length how i could have done things to improve upon my designs as well as techniques to accomplish that. "All very FREE, very VALUABLE info" Keep in mind, all this was prior to this cue.

TW also knows that his intertwining work is what inspired my intertwining work.

Of course i like this cue....its the style i like

What i dont much care for is the description of the cue.....here or at Cornerstone. To me, "of course it would feel this way to me" It kinda puts off the oneupmanship vibe. Like hey, you may have seen something similar, and you will most likely see people trying to copy it but this is the first and the best. Of course it is...as are most cues with slight variations.


Jake, I don't know you but we have mutual friends. I was busting Thomas' balls by saying this cue looks like yours. I knew it would put him on tilt and it did. I know Thomas knows cue design and has very valuable information on how to do things in cues. I also often help other makers with advice on how to build cases for free, often sending them pictures or videos of how we have solved a problem.

I just want you to know that even though I used your phenomenal cue to needle Tommy a little I have no intention of dragging you personally into the beef I have with him.

I just want to say that I didn't appreciate being called a cocksucker on AZB by Thomas Wayne and that is the reason I am here today to screw with Tommy. It's juvenile but it's makes me smile to bother him after his deplorable actions. Lastly, don't take any business advice from Tom if the conversation turns to what to do with repairs/returns. Keeping people's cues for years and ignoring them is not good business in my opinion even if you sell everything you make for thousands.


Its all good.....You guys just relax and wait....I hope to complete a Q so earth shattering that it will make you guys not only forgive each other, but embrace each other as friends :shock:

A real magic wand!

Jake<<<<ambitious

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1562
John Barton wrote:
[...]

1. If you think so. But it's actually not between just you and Roy any more because you lied to and about me concerning the cue you held onto for ten years.[...]


You've injected yourself into it but I'm taking you back out of it by simply not discussing it with you any further. The cue arrived at my mail service today and tomorrow it will be in the hands of a top automotive finish expert I've known for over 20 years. Within a week or so I should know exactly what happened with that cue and I'll be posting that information here for everyone to read.

John Barton wrote:

2. No, you did not explain what you meant when I directly quoted you. No matter you can explain it to her at the ICCS. She is looking forward to meeting you.


Geez, John, is that supposed to be some kind of "threat"? I look forward to meeting her too. From her photos she looks like a lovely person, and no matter what else she turns out to be, the one thing we know for an absolute fact is she has to be a thousand times more pleasant than you.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1562
John Barton wrote:
[...]

I just want to say that I didn't appreciate being called a cocksucker on AZB by Thomas Wayne and that is the reason I am here today to screw with Tommy. It's juvenile but it's makes me smile to bother him after his deplorable actions. [...]


Despite your repeated attempts to twist it into something it wasn't, what I actually said was:
Thomas Wayne wrote:
"The only thing I can't figure out is whose cock you're sucking so that they keep letting you back in."


But it IS very telling how ballistic your reaction to that comment was. Can you say "homophobic"? What inner demons are you wrestling with that would make you go so bat-shit crazy over such a relatively harmless jab? This may come as a surprise to you, but straight men - the ones who are confident in their sexuality, that is - don't typically go homicidally ballistic over silly banter like that.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1562
John Barton wrote:
[...]

I am often wrong. [...]


If it's not too much trouble, John, would you mind posting some links to threads where you HAVE been wrong... and admitted it? Mind you, I don't doubt for a nano-second that you are "often wrong", in fact I concur entirely. I just doubt that you ever HAVE or ever WOULD admit you were wrong on any specific point or issue.

So, if you don't mind, could you give us a few concrete examples from the past where you were wrong AND acknowledged it? I mean, if it happens as often as you say you should have no trouble meeting this simple request...

Thanks!
TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
John Barton wrote:
[...]

I am often wrong. [...]


If it's not too much trouble, John, would you mind posting some links to threads where you HAVE been wrong... and admitted it? Mind you, I don't doubt for a nano-second that you are "often wrong", in fact I concur entirely. I just doubt that you ever HAVE or ever WOULD admit you were wrong on any specific point or issue.

So, if you don't mind, could you give us a few concrete examples from the past where you were wrong AND acknowledged it? I mean, if it happens as often as you say you should have no trouble meeting this simple request...

Thanks!
TW


I would mind and it's too much trouble. I hope you understand that the guy you so easily call a cocksucker among other lovely things isn't too keen on doing anything you request.

In your case however I am seldom wrong, in fact pretty much only twice. Once when I thought you were a decent person, that turned out to be a major error, and this recent error in thinking you did intertwining veneers AFTER Jake did them. Although I still haven't seen any example of your intertwining veneer work prior to Jake's but I am sure it exists. I did see your example of intertwining inlay work and I agree it's inspirational.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 pm
Posts: 434
ThomasWayne wrote:
John Barton wrote:
[...]

1. If you think so. But it's actually not between just you and Roy any more because you lied to and about me concerning the cue you held onto for ten years.[...]


Quote:
You've injected yourself into it but I'm taking you back out of it by simply not discussing it with you any further. The cue arrived at my mail service today and tomorrow it will be in the hands of a top automotive finish expert I've known for over 20 years. Within a week or so I should know exactly what happened with that cue and I'll be posting that information here for everyone to read.


You're going to do forensics on a cue that you had in your possession for ten years to determine what happened to it? Who cares at this point what happened to it unless you are going to try and squirm out of it by somehow claiming that it was in good condition when you handed it to me.

Ok I can't wait to read this.




John Barton wrote:

2. No, you did not explain what you meant when I directly quoted you. No matter you can explain it to her at the ICCS. She is looking forward to meeting you.


Geez, John, is that supposed to be some kind of "threat"? I look forward to meeting her too. From her photos she looks like a lovely person, and no matter what else she turns out to be, the one thing we know for an absolute fact is she has to be a thousand times more pleasant than you.

TW


No Thomas, it's your opportunity to explain to her how you can characterize her without knowing a damn thing about her. You take liberties to drag my wife into this and describe her as an ignorant poor Chinese woman who just married the fat white slob to better her station in life and now you can explain to her in person what led you to say that about her.

Not a threat, I am curious to hear the explanation as well.

_________________
True Custom Cue Cases - http://www.jbcases.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group