RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Break cues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am 

I probably own over a dozen Break / Jump or dedicated break cues. I like to consider myself a student before a collector and a player before both, so I am always on a quest to experiment and try to find that magic bullet. I also have a dozen or so jump handles and some day maybe I'll take that pic, but here are a few of the break cues I've tried out.
I also like to try them at different weights as well as different tips, here is a short break down of what I've found.

1) Gulassy Sledge Hammer B&J cue, has a phenolic tip and was one of the very first one out there to use that. The cue breaks good, but with the tip you must stay close to center or risk miscue. It jusmps very good. Since I took pics of it, it gets it's own thread with an odd story.

2) Barry Cameron This cue has a hard tip, but besides that it might as well be a player, it strikes the ball very crisp, would work well in a soft break situation where you need more control. Nice all around cue.

3) Furry I owe this cue to my good pal John Barton. There was an online survey or some web site that had this rated very high if not #1 for break cues, so I wanted to give it a shot even though I would never buy a fury. Anyway I was at a SBE wrap party a few years back and John's then boss and good friend (of both of us) Scott Taylor (owner of Sterling gaming/ fury/instroke) came up to me and brought up crazy JCBC+, he told me that he and John had a standing bet (I forget the amount, cheap $1 or $5) 1 game every year at this party, he asked if I would step in for John because he had not made the trip. I like Scott so I said sure. Long story short, he had this break cue so I told him I'd love to give it a try, I won the game, he gave me the cue, the rest is history. Thanks again Scott. That aside, the cue is very solid for a crappy over seas import, it does what it's supposed to, it breaks great and jumps well, trouble is it has some blue/purple fake rock rings in the butt that have completely lifted (poor quality) and also make the cue look awefull. But if I could ever be caught dead with a Fury I'd use this cue in a dump or bar in some crappy league/ tournament situation.

4) This was the first break jump cue I had ever seen it was a Porper innovation from Joe Porper back around 1989. Previous I had never seen a dedicated break cue and never ever saw a Break Jump cue, so I bought it thinking it was going to change the word, the cue is short (like 57") and really breaks and jumps crappy. I might use this cue as a tomatoe post.

5) Mobley, this cue has it's own thread, I should have taken pics of the shaft, has a different insert that I've not seen before, not sure if Randy invented it or not.

6) Thor Hammer from Joss. this is brand new cue and due to the cool name (I wonder if they paid Marvel anything?) and the fact that it's purpleheart I had to own it. I am not sure what type of tip it has but I got it light just to give that idea another go, and it is currently what I am using and it breaks great. The cue does not break down into a jump cue, but it's a nice product from Danny Janes.

7) Predator BK, not sure if this is a first or second gen break cue, but I had an after market tiny wrap put on and that makes this cue super cool looking, I only hold the cue in the back so why waste another 4-6 inches of linen?? WHen I bought this cue (used) I made a ball every break for about the first 25-30 breaks I used it, which might not sound like a big deal but for me that's a pretty good percentage. After 20 or so in a row I started to really pay attention becuse I thought the cue was magic. Well you guessed it Frosty break #31 and the tip goes flying across the room and "Happy Birthday" the magic was over. I am not sure what tip was on it (didn't find it) or if it were original, or what tips they even used back then, but I had something else put on and the cue is still a really good break cue, but just a fraction of it's former self :-(. Cue does not break down to a small jumper but it is one of the best cues I have to smash the pee out of the rack.

Jim <------Should spend more time on the rack the way he plays.
Attachment:
BreakCues.jpg
BreakCues.jpg [ 255.86 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

Post subject: Re: Break cues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:25 am 

This time I am not able to tell you - awesome, fantatstic or great looking cues.
But off course - great working cues and some nice storys again - thx.

These are only Breakers............................
but I understand why you have that many - I am the same sort of break / jump freak,
and like you, I am searching for the magic one since more then a decade :-)

Eric"h" ----- waiting on the jumpers

http://www.billardpro.at

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm 

Hey Jim how does that Mobley j/b perform? I have had numerous jump/break cues over the years and my current one is a Lomax j/b and its the best j/b I have owned to date.

Post subject: Break cues
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 pm 

I also use a Lomax B/J and it's the best break cue I've ever used.

Patrick

Jimbo's table banks short.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 pm 

bnall wrote:
Hey Jim how does that Mobley j/b perform? I have had numerous jump/break cues over the years and my current one is a Lomax j/b and its the best j/b I have owned to date.

Honestly I have not given it a trial run as a breaker or a jumper, I did shoot a few racks with it and it played well as a normal player, my guess is it will not suite my needs because it has a normal tip and I do prefer a super hard leather or phenolic tip, but when I get some time I will put it threw it's paces and get back to you.

Jim <---Going to order a Lomax