RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Josswest PH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 am 

As many people already know when I decided I was going to be serious about collecting cues I made a list of about a dozen cuemakers of whom I wanted cues from, that list grew to about 18 the more I learned and I filled the list with the exception of one person who I've decided not to buy from (a few know that story as well. Anyway Bill Stroud was on the list, I didn't know much about Bill except for what I read in the Smithsonian Magazine article and what little I saw in some pool mags, this was back in the early stages of the internet and there really wasn't much out there when you tried to research these guys.

Anyway I called Bill on the phone, introduced myself, explained to him that I wanted to buy one of his cues this year at the SBE in VF, I asked if he had anything in PH that would fit my budget, and he said yes and explained what the cue looked like. At the time my collection was closer to Erich's where I had wanted to get examples of the cue makers work that kinda fit what they were making, This was before I started to try to buy unique out of the box stuff. Anywho Bill was a dick to me, I was going to arrive about 4 hours after the show started the first day, and I asked him if he could please hold the cue for me and that I would buy it when I got there. It was less then a week before the show and there was no way I could have gotten him a check for a deposit, and to me I didn't think holding a cue for a few hours was a big deal. Well of course he flat out said "I can't do that, what if someone else wants to buy it?" Well that pissed me off and I am not really sure why I still bought the cue, but when I got there it was still at his booth and I still bought it (that's not like me, must have been a moment of weakness)

I am also not a fan of up and down points, I guess at the time I must have been?? It has a purpleheart front with ebony and I'd like to lie and say Ivory, but they are holly points with Ivory diamond inlays, and an ivory butt and joint. At the time I remember a few different combos of wood with the same design (yet another plus) but oddly I haven't seen them on the secondary market, either they all fell apart or people really like them, I'll go with #2 since it's very well made.

Jim <---Bill and I have since become closer, yet I am still not sure if he'd hold a cue for me for a few hours :-D
Attachment:
JWNewFull.jpg
JWNewFull.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]
Attachment:
JWNewFront.jpg
JWNewFront.jpg [ 48.54 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]
Attachment:
JWNewButt.jpg
JWNewButt.jpg [ 81.14 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

Post subject: Re: Josswest PH
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 am 

Hey Rod there is slight curl in this wood, I hope you can see it, not enough to were I'd call it curly PH but it really is, and the forearm is not as washed out as the pic shows, it's closer to the coler as it shows in the butt.

Jim <---I also like the rings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 am 

Like you, up and down points are not my favorite. But I like this one - probably because of the curly purpleheart.

I have had good dealings with Bill since I first met him in 1977. We did our last deal in 2011. That's quite a span of years for a guy as young as me. :-(

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 

You can definitely see the curls, which I really like in any cue. I'll be the 3rd in line to say no up and down points. Nice cue Jim.

Todd<~~unlike the knowledgeable dudes above, not a fan of linen.