RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skip Weston BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:41 am 

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away I had a friend, and that friend had a good deal going where he'd buy at a discount Skip Weston's cues, I didn't know much about Skip, but the price was decent and the work was fantastic. So this friend came down to my then place of employment with 4-6 cues and I was going to buy a Purpleheart Skip, I decided that before I would buy it maybe I should hit balls with it. Well the hit was not to my style, so I could not with good conscience buy that cue. I hit a few other and really was not in love with the way any hit, but I did say I'd buy one, it was a good price and this one was the best hitting of the group and it had some PH in it, so why not.

Skip's point work is really top notch, if you look at the cue the work in it is some of the best I've seen and the leather wrap is also very good. I do not know if he still makes any cues, but all the ones I've seen have the sme exceptional point work. This cue also found it's way into the Blue Book 2 under Skip's color pic in the front of the book, that makes it famous I guess.

Jim <----Doesn't have to play with all his cues
Attachment:
Skip Weston BB Full.jpg
Skip Weston BB Full.jpg [ 32.32 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]
Attachment:
Skip Weston BB Butt.jpg
Skip Weston BB Butt.jpg [ 100.72 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]
Attachment:
SkipWestonBBFront.jpg
SkipWestonBBFront.jpg [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

Post subject: Re: Skip Weston BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am 

Never played with a Skip cue but I've read the exact same thing before. More than once. Awesome point work, hits like crap. Thanks for the look. I've never posted pics before as my cues, much like some of your collection, are humble. The difference being I don't have all the badass cues you have to balance the equation. If I get some sunshine I'll attempt pics of my purpleheart cues this weekend.

Todd<~~meager attempt to return the favor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm 

Not to bandwagon bash Skip, but I have also owned one of his cues that looked great and hit mediocre. Interestingly, it was also purpleheart based and had great point work.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm 

[quote="ScottR"]Not to bandwagon bash Skip, but I have also owned one of his cues that looked great and hit mediocre. Interestingly, it was also purpleheart based and had great point work.

Scott[/quote]

Had a few. Tulipwood/Ebony... Ebony/Maple...

The one was uber fancy. And the work was flawless! But... as I've said for MANY years now, Skip's cues hit like sh*t. Period. But they do look amazing.

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm 

Skip will always be my first. He was the first cue maker I worked with to get a custom cue. I'm not super sensitive to the hit of a cue so I didn't mind the way it played. That said, it's been a lot of years since I've hit with that cue and I'm sure it didn't feel as nice as my JMW. I wasn't always a fan of the wood combinations he used but his work was excellent. For that matter, if I had my original design to do over I'd probably make some changes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 pm 

Yeah, well Zack, your JMW hits amazing. Seriously one of the be cues I have ever played.

Jim asked me how I liked the 60" because the two he made for me were 59". I love the longer cues for my stance and grip.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 pm 

ScottR wrote:
Jim asked me how I liked the 60" because the two he made for me were 59". I love the longer cues for my stance and grip.

Scott

Does this mean that when ordering new cues you now order them 60???

Jim <----Thinks it screws some cuemakers up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:20 am 

[quote="JimBo"][quote="ScottR"]

Scott[/quote]

[b][color=#400080]Does this mean that when ordering new cues you now order them 60???

Jim <----Thinks it screws some cuemakers up[/color][/b][/quote]
I usually order them 59", but not always.

I told Jim White that I bought this cue from Zack and that's when he asked how I liked it being 60". I don't really notice the extra 1" switching between my cues; only on certain reach shots. But I did notice it with Zack's cue more often. Not in a bad way, just an adjustment to make.

Scott

Last edited by ScottR on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:53 pm 

For me, when playing with a 58" cue, my hand is almost always at the very back of the cue and on a decent number of shots it's hanging off the butt where I'm only holding on to an inch or less of the cue. The fact that I ran out of cue with such a high percentage of shots meant I needed to change my form which is less than ideal. A 59" cue solves most of these problems for me and a 60" all of them, except for the crazy stretch shots where you can't use good form no matter what. It kinda sucks because, as Jim said, not everyone can make a good 60" cue that plays like their 58"ers and the resale market is so much more limited.