RIP Dennis Dieckman

Hope There is a Golf Course in Heaven
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Cue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 pm 

Well, ok it wasn't my first cue, I tried to track that down and couldn't. My first cue was a Valley 2 piece I bought back in 1985-86 and I played with it for 2 years very sporadically. I didn't start playing serious pool until 1989, in about 1990 I was in a bar called 3 cheers in Miami 154th and west dixie hwy. and I was doing my best TCOM impression spinning my cue and it slipped and hit the edge of the table. The cue broke in half about 6 inches below the joint, I was crushed even though it was only $37. I put the cue in the closet and went to Brandt Billiards on 125th st. and 441 and looked at the cues on the wall, I fell in love with a purple McDermott plain jane the cue was $125 with 1 shaft. I didn't have 125 and couldn't even imagine spending that much on a cue at the time. Trouble was 3 cheers had the worst cues ever and playing off the wall wasn't an option. I found a way to buy it and the rest was history, this changed my life in many ways.

Jim<---Remembers it like it was last week

Attachments:
McD1Full.JPG
McD1Full.JPG [ 46.84 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]
McD1frnt.JPG
McD1frnt.JPG [ 47.06 KiB | Viewed 1454 times ]
McD1Butt.JPG
McD1Butt.JPG [ 69.52 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]

Post subject: Re: My First Cue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:09 pm 

Just to add this was before I ever knew what Purpleheart was, I've always liked the color purple.

Jim <----Isn't the gay telle tubbie purple???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:03 pm 

Looks like an old D1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:28 am 

my first actual cue was a mcdermott as well...

it was the deer moose and antelope cue....

not the inlayed one either...

chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:05 pm 

Ok Jimbo, I just watched the ICCS coverage on TAR and unless I am mistaken you own, at the very least, a badass Haley and even better a Searing. So what gives? With all respect to your collection thats presently posted shouldn't the top shelf stuff be in there for us poor unfortunates who have yet to own a Searing. Next you'll let drop that you happen to own a cue by some guy named Gus.

Todd<isn't gay yet is quite infatuated with Dennis and Gus>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:06 pm 

[quote="somms69"]Ok Jimbo, I just watched the ICCS coverage on TAR and unless I am mistaken you own, at the very least, a badass Haley and even better a Searing. So what gives? With all respect to your collection thats presently posted shouldn't the top shelf stuff be in there for us poor unfortunates who have yet to own a Searing. Next you'll let drop that you happen to own a cue by some guy named Gus.

Todd<isn't gay yet is quite infatuated with Dennis and Gus>[/quote]

Screw those cues. I want to see the Thomas Wayne cue that got him started on the skull kick.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:29 am 

A Thomas Wayne as well you say. I'm starting to feel like I'm being shorted to a degree that I've only yet begun to fathom.

Todd<hopes Jimbo has pity and gives up the goods>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am 

[quote="somms69"]A Thomas Wayne as well you say. I'm starting to feel like I'm being shorted to a degree that I've only yet begun to fathom.

Todd<hopes Jimbo has pity and gives up the goods>[/quote]
Good luck in your quest. We've been after him for a while.

Scott <<== also thinks JimBo might be holding out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:01 pm 

somms69 wrote:
Ok Jimbo, I just watched the ICCS coverage on TAR and unless I am mistaken you own, at the very least, a badass Haley and even better a Searing. So what gives? With all respect to your collection thats presently posted shouldn't the top shelf stuff be in there for us poor unfortunates who have yet to own a Searing. Next you'll let drop that you happen to own a cue by some guy named Gus.

Todd<isn't gay yet is quite infatuated with Dennis and Gus>

Todd sorry I didn't see this till I read your other post directing me here.
Let me explain, the poinof how I wanted to this section (JimBo collection) to go was to show my journey and how I started. I do own a Gus as well as some TW's and the 2 you heard about on the ICCS interviews, but I want to show how I got to where I am and I wanted to show that this is how everyone starts. I wanted to post moochies and some lesser cues so people feel they can post up what they have. When I started I was going to try to do 5-8 cues a week, but of course I slacked off. I will try to get on it, but sadly the cues you want to see are near the end and I am a long way from there. But the cues do get better I promise you, and it'll get fun. I promise I'll work on it.

Jim <---Slacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 am 

Thanks for the heads up....I applaud your efforts to welcome and include the little guy. However, as one of the little people I still can't imagine that anyone would want to see my Schons when they could check out the amazing works of the truly elite cuemakers represented here. Anywho, thanks for what you do here I really enjoy your site.

Todd<---glad to know that the guy that owns a purple Moochie also has a Gus and a Searing>

edited to add: It just occurs to me that even though I wouldn't post Schons I stopped to check out a Moochie, so what do I know?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:41 pm 

i see . . . so you wanted to be able to spin a cue just like your idol, tom cruise, from the color of money!
. . . and then you bought this cue shortly after the movie "the color purple" came out . . . hhhmmmmmm

it's a real shame you don't still have the first cue you purchased!
i bought my first when i was 16 . . . still have it!
needs a refin somethin' awful though :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm 

[quote="icon"]i see . . . so you wanted to be able to spin a cue just like your idol, tom cruise, from the color of money!
. . . and then you bought this cue shortly after the movie "the color purple" came out . . . hhhmmmmmm

needs a refin somethin' awful though :)[/quote]
You and me, Jeff...... you and me.

Thinks cues are meant to be kept and played with..... well, except for the ones that I tried and sold.

Scott <<== fence stradler

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 am 

[quote="ScottR"]You and me, Jeff...... you and me.

Thinks cues are meant to be kept and played with..... well, except for the ones that I tried and sold.

Scott <<== fence stradler[/quote]

Hey, fence stradling ain't such a bad thing...unless it's a barbed wire fence...

J...can you say yee-ouch !

“he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions” (I Timothy 6:4)

www.internationalcuemakers.com
www.pro9.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 am 

[quote="ScottR"][quote="icon"]i see . . . so you wanted to be able to spin a cue just like your idol, tom cruise, from the color of money!

needs a refin somethin' awful though :)[/quote]
You and me, Jeff...... you and me.

Scott <<== fence stradler[/quote]
I don't have my first cue, but I do have my second cue. Both were made by the same cue maker in North East Pa. The cue also needs a refin something awful, but Tim Scruggs recommended that I don't have it done. He said it would lower the value to a collector, but I really think he meant it wasn't worth it.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

Last edited by Rich R. on Thu May 14, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am 

I think the thing that needs to be pointed out was not only was the cue a POS but it snaped in 1/2 and there were pieces missing from this diangnal fracture, sure it was glued and gaps, the cue was unplayable. Sure there is a small part in my heart for the cue but it was worthless and back then who knew????
If it were a nice cue (Bushka,Szam,etc.) I'd be really pissed, but not for a PJ Valley.

Jim <-----Not as mad as he used to be about it