RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keith Kue *the Leopard*
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 am 

I'm adding a cue here because 1) I've been lazy and really should be doing more. 2) Our new little Keith fan was asking to see it.

I will start by saying that I hate when people feel that every cue needs to have a "name" it's somewhat lame IMO and names should be reserved for very rare theme cues or one of a kind Monsters. I also get that lots of people think their piddly plane janes are all special and deserving of some bold exciting name. That being said this cue is referred to as the Leopard cue just by me and although I realize it falls short of my Name criteria it's just always been how I have referred to it, the name just fits. I bought this cue for a few reasons, keep in mind this was back in the early 90's and I wasn't always thinking straight, I have no idea when this cue was made. But I bought the cue from a normal guy who used to come into the pool room and claimed he was a cue dealer. He also made the claim that Keith made every single thing on this cue including the tips. At the time I found that to be very impressive, a guy who made his own tips and bumpers, I am not sure if he said even the pin or except the pin. BTW I have never checked on any of this info, I'm just passing along what this snake oil salesman told me. Anyway the main reasons I bought the cue were because I found it to be unique, and also I really like the way Tulip and ebony work together, also I loved the rings.
Attachment:
KKring.jpg
KKring.jpg [ 64.06 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

I also loved the bumper, again with the thinking that this guy made it himself (not sure).
Attachment:
KKbumper.jpg
KKbumper.jpg [ 230.58 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

Another thing I loved and this was early in my collecting and the first time I had ever seen this, but he Ghost signed it (black ink on black background) and you had to really look hard and get the light to hit it just right to see it. The fact that it also said 1/1 made me excited at the time (that was before I got my 1/1 dale perry)
Attachment:
KKghostsig.jpg
KKghostsig.jpg [ 188.48 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

I hope you guys enjoy this unique cue as much as I do, I'd love to hear some feedback as I know it's not for everyone.
Attachment:
KKwrap.jpg
KKwrap.jpg [ 53.02 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

Attachment:
KKfront2.jpg
KKfront2.jpg [ 118.09 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

I will also add to this story that I hated the way this cue played, I bought it strictly on it's odd looks, the tip was like a tiny rock attached to the shaft and the cue made an aweful *TINK* when you struck a ball, I think this is when the importance of the tip as it reflects to hit really hit me. I changed the tips and after that the cue played and sounded 100X better, so before I ever toss aside a cue based on hit now I always give it a try with a new tip. Tips matter!!!

Attachment:
KKfull.jpg
KKfull.jpg [ 45.03 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

Jim<------I know it's not PH, cut me some slack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 am 

I see why you refer to it as "The Leopard".
It's not my cup of tea but it is still cool.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:54 pm 

I really like the look of the cue. I agree with you that the ebony and tulip wood works out as a great combination and taking such a simple design element and putting it in that configuration really makes that cue standout. For a short time i had that bhq tulipwood / African black wood that also showed off how those woods really contrast and show each other off. Beautiful cue you've got there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 am 

I love it!!! I love tulip wood and ebony. It's just a really good looking combination.

I'm pretty sure I know what tip was on there. Keith makes a really hard tip, calls them Black Widow tips. there hard as hell!!!! I'm not a huge fan either, but some folks go nuts for them. I'll stick to a good old fashioned mild dud!!!

Thanks for sharing Jimbo. I like to look at Keith's older stuff. He's done some really cool stuff over the years. Hard to believe that squirrelly SOB was building cues before I was born!!! He just turned 50 this year, and you'd never know it talking to him, or playing him for that matter!

Best,

Justin

Volturi Cases