RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm 

As a kid putting myself through college and working a full-time job, I'm not sure how I found time to play pool. But, I did. I had (still have) a McDermott B-1 (see other thread) and decided my game deserved a custom cue ( :roll: ). A good friend/good player had a sweet one-of-a-kind Josswest and let me hit a few balls with it. Needless to say, I NEEDED one.

Bill Stroud was based in Tulsa at that time (1978); about 45 miles from my town. I drove up and met him at his shop and he showed me around. After talking about my meager game and looking at what he was building at that time (see the first picture of his then-current catalog), I decided I wanted to do something a little different.

We went with the stained BEM forearm (4th from the right in the catalog), but wanted something unique for the sleeve. I liked the zig-zag butt sleeve point pattern from the McDermott B-15 (brochure below) and changed it up to get the pattern we ended up with. We added MOP notched diamonds in those spaces between the points.

Bill let me try a few of his steel jointed cues, but at that time I liked the slightly "softer" feel of the McDermott joint I was used to. We ended up going with a ivory colored implex and 3/8-10 flat-faced joint. I wish I'd been smart enough to get the cue longer than the standard 57" of that era. I believe the dashed joint rings are also an ivory colored implex.

I wish I could remember how long Bill needed to complete the cue. Seems like it was 9 months or so. I do remember being worried that he would not finish it before he moved his shop to Colorado Springs and that the move would add time to wait. He finished it very shortly before the shop move and I have to say that I'm not sure anything that I bought since that time has ever given me the thrill that Bill handing that cue to me did. I could not get to a pool hall fast enough! 8)

That cue served me well for many years. The buttcap was broken in a stupid bounce of anger and Bill replaced it and re-engraved it a few years ago. Danny Tibbitts also did a new wrap around that time.

Now I'm wondering, did I "invent" the up-and-down points design??? I kid. It was probably done before. Or, was it?

Scott

Attachments:
josswest 78 full 3s.JPG
josswest 78 full 3s.JPG [ 99.44 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]
josswest 78 forearm 3s.JPG
josswest 78 forearm 3s.JPG [ 95.69 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]
josswest 78 points 1s.JPG
josswest 78 points 1s.JPG [ 92.04 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]
josswest 78 sleeve 3s.JPG
josswest 78 sleeve 3s.JPG [ 95.38 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:01 am 

Bump for re-added pics.