RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 am 

Well... here is something I thought I would never say... this is my new JB case! :shocked2:

When it came down to it, I realized John was the only case maker that was going to be able to make exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it. Most know John and I have had our differences in the past, like many, and it took a lot of thinking before I contacted him to build me a case.

If that isn't shocking enough, this was one of the best commissions I have ever been involved in. This build went the way all builds should go. John was a perfect gentleman, responsive, helpful, and genuinely wanted this case to be everything I wanted it to be... and more! I received frequent email updates, we spoke on the phone, and he sent progress pics. I could not have asked for it to go any better than it did.

Thanks to John, Karen, and his team for building an absolutely outstanding case!

John - If you read this... this is what you do best. This is how you should spend your time. Stay away from posting on the forums and build more great cases like this.

So without further adieu... here is the case...

6x12 Butterly style - Front

Handle Side

Zipper Side

Back

Inside Pockets

Shoulder Strap

ratcues wrote:
There are so many things in the world that inspire cue art. Another cue doesn't need to be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 am 

That's pretty cool and fresh. I like it.

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm 

I tried to think of a way to ask this without sounding critical, but came up with nothing. Why did you have the back look so different than the rest of the of the case? I see a tie-in with the clover looking shape.

Again, not meaning to sound negative because the case is cool looking.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:06 pm 

ScottR wrote:
I tried to think of a way to ask this without sounding critical, but came up with nothing. Why did you have the back look so different than the rest of the of the case? I see a tie-in with the clover looking shape.

Again, not meaning to sound negative because the case is cool looking.

Scott

That is a great question Scott, because it was not originally planned to be that way. The original plan was for the back to be all black with that pattern embossed into it. It was Karen's idea to use the contrasting colors. At first I did know if I liked it, but it grew on me.

ratcues wrote:
There are so many things in the world that inspire cue art. Another cue doesn't need to be one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am 

Great case, the guy really is an idiot savant, you are so right about how he should stick to cases.
He has some skills when it comes to cases. Now I don't claim to be an expert of your collection, but I really don't remember seeing and cues with inlays to match what was on the case, so is there any significance to any of it, that double interlocking diamond is very cool BTW.
Also is that middle pocket a business card holder?

Jim <----Always a fan of the crazy guy's work

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am 

JimBo wrote:
Great case, the guy really is an idiot savant, you are so right about how he should stick to cases.
He has some skills when it comes to cases. Now I don't claim to be an expert of your collection, but I really don't remember seeing and cues with inlays to match what was on the case, so is there any significance to any of it, that double interlocking diamond is very cool BTW.

No significance of the case design and any cues I own. I did not want a case that holds 6 cues to only match one of them. I saw a similar design John had done and he modified it for my case.

Yes, that is a business card holder with a magnetic lid. The is also a pocket for joint protectors and one for misc items. All the pockets velcro to the inside of the case and are moveable or removable.

I carried the case at the DCC last weekend and it is really comfortable for a 6x12 case. It is extremely functional and will serve my needs perfectly. I got a ton of compliments on the case... a lot of people just stopped me as I was walking and asked to look at it.

ratcues wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:55 am 

Worminator wrote:
JimBo wrote:

No significance of the case design and any cues I own. I did not want a case that holds 6 cues to only match one of them. I saw a similar design John had done and he modified it for my case.

Yes, that is a business card holder with a magnetic lid. The is also a pocket for joint protectors and one for misc items. All the pockets velcro to the inside of the case and are moveable or removable.

I carried the case at the DCC last weekend and it is really comfortable for a 6x12 case. It is extremely functional and will serve my needs perfectly. I got a ton of compliments on the case... a lot of people just stopped me as I was walking and asked to look at it.

i was one of those that wanted to see it
real nice case jamie
good job to john b & company

BHQCUSTOMCUES

EMAIL: stix4sale@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 am 

The reason that the back is done in the quilted manner is because I wanted to break up the back and not leave it plain. I wanted a design that called back to the main shape we chose to be the central theme of the case. We took that shape from an embroidered piece of leather I have. I originally wanted to use that piece of leather for the back but it is not large enough.

So I made a wooden stamp and we used it to create a continuous pattern. This way the back can take some use and still look good.