RIP John Davis

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm 

Rich R. wrote:
As a non-cue maker or collector, I'm allowed one stupid question per day, so here goes.

Do veneers, of any type, add anything to the cue other than cosmetics?

Yup. Cost.

Fred

P.S. - I think Burton said by cross graining, you could get a strength advantage like plywood. I'm not a wood guy, so I can't comment on the veracity or the lucidity. Or liquidity. It's Drink:30 afterall.

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 am 

Cornerman wrote:
Rich R. wrote:
As a non-cue maker or collector, I'm allowed one stupid question per day, so here goes.

Yup. Cost.

Fred

P.S. - I think Burton said by cross graining, you could get a strength advantage like plywood. I'm not a wood guy, so I can't comment on the veracity or the lucidity. Or liquidity. It's Drink:30 afterall.

There you go Fred, using those big words, causing me to google definitions :lol:

Veneers might be an added cost but consider the return for $ spent...(Looks, added strength, quality of play).

Now consider the return for adding inlays or fancy ring work. ??? Uhhh...Give me a minute...Still thinkin....Hell never mind, I'll take the veneers :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm 

So veneer add more strength than just spliced points?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:28 pm 

Hidy Ho wrote:

I feel they do. Developing a method of testing it would be difficult though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:36 pm 

Hidy Ho wrote:

Compared to maple points, I think they do.
If the points are made of rosewood, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:05 pm 

wayne wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
Rich R. wrote:

Yup. Cost.

Fred

There you go Fred, using those big words, causing me to google definitions :lol:

Veneers might be an added cost but consider the return for $ spent...(Looks, added strength, quality of play).

Now consider the return for adding inlays or fancy ring work. ??? Uhhh...Give me a minute...Still thinkin....Hell never mind, I'll take the veneers :P

Although I like good veneer work as much as anyone, your list of returns are not factual but just opinionated, in my opinion. Looks can be an asset to some and not to others. The same can be said about inlays. I don't believe there to be any added strength to a cue with the use of veneers, especially half-spliced cues. Quality of play once again is a matter of opinion.

I like building traditional, 4 point, 4 veneer H/S cues but with the younger crowd whom order cues from me, most would rather put the extra money that a veneered cue costs toward more inlays. With the younger clientel, most would rather have flat bottomed floating points and more inlays. Most don't even want a second shaft. They would rather have more inlays in place of the shaft.

Dick

PH# (513) 830-4321
Cincinnati, Ohio
e-mail dickiecues@gmail.com
web-site http://www.dickiecues.com

Post subject: Richard's Obsevations
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 pm 

Richard,
That was an intresting insight of "Changing of the Times?" in ordering Cues..
Is the younger guys more interested in getting the Low Deflection Shafts,
using them as their primary playing Shafts and keeping the Original in "Mint Condition"incase of a resale?

And, trying to get a Butt that has their personal touch (in Inlay shapes/themes) in lieu
of the Traditional Point/Veneer Look?
The New generation, "Creating an image/style" of their own.. Setting them apart from the crowd?

I tend to like "Old School" looks... Szambotis and Tascrellas "Capture's the Era" ..
But, I must say, The new CNC Technology fascinates me....

Good Post Richard..
Thanks for coming here and sharing with us..
Your everyday experiences can teach us a lot..

Alton < "Caught between the Ages" .. :mrgreen:

BTW, Richard, I don't like to call you "Dick"..
Doesn't sound too respectful...
My honest opinion .. Alton <(A True "Dick" ... :shock: )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:43 pm 

rhncue wrote:
Although I like good veneer work as much as anyone, your list of returns are not factual but just opinionated, in my opinion. Looks can be an asset to some and not to others. The same can be said about inlays. I don't believe there to be any added strength to a cue with the use of veneers, especially half-spliced cues. Quality of play once again is a matter of opinion.

I like building traditional, 4 point, 4 veneer H/S cues but with the younger crowd whom order cues from me, most would rather put the extra money that a veneered cue costs toward more inlays. With the younger clientel, most would rather have flat bottomed floating points and more inlays. Most don't even want a second shaft. They would rather have more inlays in place of the shaft.

Dick

I'll respect your opinion Dick. In my opinion you have a private message.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm 

wayne wrote:
rhncue wrote:

Dick

I'll respect your opinion Dick. In my opinion you have a private message.

Reply sent

Dick

PH# (513) 830-4321
Cincinnati, Ohio
e-mail dickiecues@gmail.com
web-site http://www.dickiecues.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:31 am 

And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:41 am 

SUPERSTAR wrote:

Ok. Can't send PM's with pictures.

I was hesitant to post this drawing i just did, but after reading this and seeing that input was welcomed, i am going to go ahead and post it.

Let me make a disclaimer that i am not a cue builder.
It's just a twist on what i assume is the traditional method of doing veneers as it was explained to me by Tony, so that no join line is seen at the tip of the point where the veneers come together.

Food for thought.

SS these are IMO veneers and are done by a few guys who do really good point work, this is a method that might be used by Skip Weston and maybe Mr. Searing. The reason I consider these veneers is because the pieces are cut and assembled before they are glued in, to me a recut is done in the cue. I am not sure how much Murray will go into the points, but you can tell a lot about construction of the points by looking at the veneers and where the lines are, if there are any lines at all. Also recuts can be thin, they don't always have to be thick, but thicker is much easier and not as dangerous.

Jim <---Good idea Murray, wish I came up with it like 3 years ago

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:57 am 

JimBo wrote:
SUPERSTAR wrote:

Ok. Can't send PM's with pictures.

I was hesitant to post this drawing i just did, but after reading this and seeing that input was welcomed, i am going to go ahead and post it.

Let me make a disclaimer that i am not a cue builder.
It's just a twist on what i assume is the traditional method of doing veneers as it was explained to me by Tony, so that no join line is seen at the tip of the point where the veneers come together.

Food for thought.

SS these are IMO veneers and are done by a few guys who do really good point work, this is a method that might be used by Skip Weston and maybe Mr. Searing. The reason I consider these veneers is because the pieces are cut and assembled before they are glued in, to me a recut is done in the cue. I am not sure how much Murray will go into the points, but you can tell a lot about construction of the points by looking at the veneers and where the lines are, if there are any lines at all. Also recuts can be thin, they don't always have to be thick, but thicker is much easier and not as dangerous.

Very well said Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:18 pm 

JimBo wrote:

No kidding.

Fred <~~~ IMO

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Is forum topic theft as bad a cue design theft?

ps. Ya'll feel free to jump in anytime now.

Cornerman wrote:
JimBo wrote:

No kidding.

Fred <~~~ IMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 pm 

This is my first post on this forum and I have to say that this series of threads is AWESOME!!!!!

Do I get to ask a question now? :mrgreen:

Is there a limit on the number of veneers one can use on a given point? I realize thickness has something to do with it...

I think I may have answered my own question - Am I right to think that the more veneers one uses, the smaller the point material will end up?

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next