RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:51 pm 

Quote:
I will warn you that full sized knee mills like a Bridgeport are too tall for a standard garage door .... some very pissed-off-and-red-faced individuals on rec.crafts.metalworking told me .... OOOPS :evil: :oops:

How about using a small lathe and a router ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:45 am 

JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:
I will warn you that full sized knee mills like a Bridgeport are too tall for a standard garage door .... some very pissed-off-and-red-faced individuals on rec.crafts.metalworking told me .... OOOPS :evil: :oops:

As long as the set up is rigid and tight you should be able to pull it off.

Quote: "TODAY IS THE DAY!" treasure hunter Mel Fisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 pm 

JoeyInCali wrote:
Quote:

Just a guess, but I think that's what ScootR was using to cut points. I've cut points in my Rong Fu 25 no problem*, but at 750 lbs of cast iron it is plenty rigid to cut wood.

* The only problem was all the wood shavings :evil: ..... OK, and my skills (the points are not even and not exactly centered) .... and my poor design (I only have so much wood laying around, who knew it would be that ugly ? ) ... and the minor issue of being a jump cue that cannot get the ball in the air .... otherwise it was perfect :roll:

Dave <--- whos respect for cuemakers went up considerably the weekend he cut points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:23 pm 

davek wrote:
Just a guess, but I think that's what ScootR was using to cut points. I've cut points in my Rong Fu 25 no problem*, but at 750 lbs of cast iron it is plenty rigid to cut wood.

* The only problem was all the wood shavings :evil: ..... OK, and my skills (the points are not even and not exactly centered) .... and my poor design (I only have so much wood laying around, who knew it would be that ugly ? ) ... and the minor issue of being a jump cue that cannot get the ball in the air .... otherwise it was perfect :roll:

Dave <--- whos respect for cuemakers went up considerably the weekend he cut points

Actually, I was using a Unique Taper-Shaper. Don't get me wrong; it's a nice machine and Jim Sickles was great to work with. I just want to have a dedicated, heavy mill to cut points.

Scott <<== dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:12 pm 

ScottR wrote:
....... I just want to have a dedicated, heavy mill to cut points.

Scott <<== dreamer

I understand the dreamer part .... just this morning I was dreaming that I had room for this heavy mill :

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se ... Z225184504

I've always wondered why folks don't use these old horizontal mills to cut points. It seems to me that they would be ideal for that purpose, other than the slowish spindle speeds I guess.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:14 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:

Edit: The purpose of this segment is to show the basics of short splice construction. .

You know how I absolutely detest the use of the term "short splice" for these.

Fred

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:20 pm 

Cornerman wrote:
Murray Tucker wrote:

Edit: The purpose of this segment is to show the basics of short splice construction. .

Fred

it's only been that term for forever, when you start building cues come up with your own terminology. Maybe a few will follow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:29 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:
Cornerman wrote:
Murray Tucker wrote:

Fred

it's only been that term for forever, when you start building cues come up with your own terminology. Maybe a few will follow.

I guess that's just my point. The term wasn't "short splice." How did it become the term by everybody?

Fred <~~~ knows Burton called them "half splice"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:29 pm 

Cornerman wrote:
I guess that's just my point. The term wasn't "short splice." How did it become the term by everybody?

Fred <~~~ knows Burton called them "half splice"

apples and oranges, Maybe short splice cause the forearm is the shortest section where the splice in the butt is concerned, But now the term -A- joint comes into play cause there is a tenin and usually a bolt.. I call Mr. Burtons, full half splice cause there is a double splice in the middle. But I call Mark Bears, full splice,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:58 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:
apples and oranges, Maybe short splice cause the forearm is the shortest section where the splice in the butt is concerned, But now the term -A- joint comes into play cause there is a tenin and usually a bolt.. I call Mr. Burtons, full half splice cause there is a double splice in the middle. But I call Mark Bears, full splice,

It seems pretty obvious in Spains written word that he called this technique of inlaying squares to make a pointed forearm as "half splice." The only reference in his pamphlet at the word "short" was specifically his shorter (17" or so) full splice ebony/maple forearms as opposed to what he referred to as his "full-length" blanks which also of course had the full-splice.

To me, it's obvious. That's why I'm wondering where and when someone started calling what Spain called the half splice as the short splice. Was there someone before Spain that was doing this technique who called it a short splice? I know it wasn't Gordon Hart. Maybe Dick Helmstetter could shed some light on this.

And I DO care as it is part of history. It's in written archives. If someone can point to a reference that calls this technique something other than the half splice, I'd stop bringing it up.

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:59 pm 

And then there's the half short double fullsplice. 8)

The term short splice came about when fullsplice was referred to as long splice. It the same as front/forearm....back sleeve/butt sleeve. Different words, same thing.....car/auto....RR tracks/train tracks....mason jar/canning jar. You can call it what ever the heck you want. It's the same thing.

Quote: "TODAY IS THE DAY!" treasure hunter Mel Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:14 pm 

Cornerman wrote:
Michael Webb wrote:

It seems pretty obvious in Spains written word that he called this technique of inlaying squares to make a pointed forearm as "half splice." The only reference in his pamphlet at the word "short" was specifically his shorter (17" or so) full splice ebony/maple forearms as opposed to what he referred to as his "full-length" blanks which also of course had the full-splice.

To me, it's obvious. That's why I'm wondering where and when someone started calling what Spain called the half splice as the short splice. Was there someone before Spain that was doing this technique who called it a short splice? I know it wasn't Gordon Hart. Maybe Dick Helmstetter could shed some light on this.

And I DO care as it is part of history. It's in written archives. If someone can point to a reference that calls this technique something other than the half splice, I'd stop bringing it up.

Fred

This is Jimboarmy.com
You can bring anything up as much as you want to.
For as long as you want to do it. What was Mr Szamboti's thought on the matter, I have heard you quote him a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:15 pm 

BarenbruggeCues wrote:
And then there's the half short double fullsplice. 8)

The term short splice came about when fullsplice was referred to as long splice. It the same as front/forearm....back sleeve/butt sleeve. Different words, same thing.....car/auto....RR tracks/train tracks....mason jar/canning jar. You can call it what ever the heck you want. It's the same thing.

True but it's Fred and it's fun to mess with him. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:49 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 am 

Cornerman wrote:
Michael Webb wrote:

:)

Hi Fred, :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next