RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 am 

I found a series of pics and I don't remember their source. They show "a" method of cutting the miters down the middle of a wider veneer strip, using a 90 degree bit. If there are no objections, I'll post them. Or I can send them Murray to vet and post.

Let me know.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Should work fine.

Tommy Stanfill wrote:
Murray, I have an 88 degree saw blade that was used long ago for cutting the miters. Is this profile better than 90 degrees?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 am 
Site Admin

I've used several methods including the fixture that mounted in the table saw. This one always gave me the best results.

Catscradle wrote:
Jake wrote:
Murray, would you mind sharing what method you are using to cut the miter and why? i'm sure you have probably experimented with every way in the book.

I realize this is not the "ask the cuemaker" section so if i'm out of line then i'm sorry.

I'm with you. Without further explanation I don't understand how this is done.
Of course maybe it is just too tough to explain without being hands on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Admin

Please post any you have. I don't do mitered very often and my machine has been tied up with paying jobs so I'm having to rely on old pictures I have laying around.

ScottR wrote:
I found a series of pics and I don't remember their source. They show "a" method of cutting the miters down the middle of a wider veneer strip, using a 90 degree bit. If there are no objections, I'll post them. Or I can send them Murray to vet and post.

Let me know.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 am 

[quote="Murray Tucker"]I've used several methods including the fixture that mounted in the table saw. This one always gave me the best results.

Sweet jig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:16 am 

Hey Scott, Murray said post - so post :evil:
Because at the moment I don´t see that much of a different between the methodes.
Only that it seemed to be harder to get to that V-shaped veneers when you do it mitered.

Eric"h" ---------- really hopes you have some pics, so I can have a moment of :idea: :idea:

http://www.billardpro.at

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 am 

Murray, When you are using the mitered veneer jig, do you cut through all the veneers or do you leave a small amount and fold the veneers? Also, do you use a piece of wood as a backer to get a clean cut on the edge of the veneers? Thanks, Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:07 pm 

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT - Pictures :roll: :roll:

Eric"h"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

There are many, many ways to miter veneers,
Examples:
Milling machine, CNC, Table saw with a miter blade, table saw with the blade tilted, Flush router with a 45 degree holder, Plainer, and jointer. What ever your imagination can come up with as long as you can define what you want for results and make the matching holder to achieve it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:36 am 

Is that the end of this awesome idea and stuff (Anatomy of the week).
Scott is not able to show us some promised pics, and it looks like Murray will never start Week 7 :shock:

Come on guys, start it over again, show us some pics of the mitering process and start Week 7 :mrgreen:

Eric"h"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I'm up up to my ass in alligators at work. Looks like the anatomy threads will be hit or miss for a while until further notice, unless someone else would like to step up.

mair23 wrote:
Is that the end of this awesome idea and stuff (Anatomy of the week).
Scott is not able to show us some promised pics, and it looks like Murray will never start Week 7 :shock:

Come on guys, start it over again, show us some pics of the mitering process and start Week 7 :mrgreen:

Eric"h"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:01 am 

Murray Tucker wrote:
I'm up up to my ass in alligators at work. Looks like the anatomy threads will be hit or miss for a while until further notice, unless someone else would like to step up.

If I could choose to be in something up-to-my-ass, alligators would not be on my list.

What do you guys want to see?

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Alligators aren't bad. They taste like chicken.

Week 7 is supposed to be re-cuts points. If anybody wants to get it started I'll move it here and you can have at it.

ratcues wrote:
If I could choose to be in something up-to-my-ass, alligators would not be on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:03 am 

Murray Tucker wrote:
Alligators aren't bad. They taste like chicken.

Week 7 is supposed to be re-cuts points. If anybody wants to get it started I'll move it here and you can have at it.

ratcues wrote:

I'm getting close to starting on a small group of forearms. Most will be recut full spliced using dyed veneer...Maybe an exotic wood, maybe not, haven't decided just yet. I wouldn't mind showing some progress photos but no photos of the machnery or the fixture/indexer holding the cue.

Ryan, not trying to steal your thunder here. If you would like to take the lead on this you're welcome to it. Or we can do it co-op. Whatever works is fine with me.
Wayne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 am 

I don't do recuts so go ahead.

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next