RIP John Davis

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kitchen Cutlery
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:35 pm 

meridianblades wrote:
I think you should read the original post.... there is some info in there that kind of stands out.

Things like.... "There was a Day when the German and French knives were King--It is Gone--they have been De-Throned. A Kershaw Shun in VG-10 will hold an edge far longer than any of the German or French Knives. Any sharpener will work on the Softer German knives and all of the Cheap Ones. No Cheap sharpener will give you the Quality Edge we are talking about above."

What do most of us have in our kitchens? Western / Euro / German blades....

The reason I started the post was to say there is a level above the "home cook" cutlery, if a person wants superior cutting ability, and a blade that stays sharp significantly longer, their are other options out there besides "sets" of knives the avg home cook uses. As single blade could cost more than your entire set of Wusthofs /Henckels...

Of course, there are trade offs too. How well do you take care of your blades "tools"? Do you run them thru the dishwasher? Do you drop them a lot (thin hard edges chip easier). Do you use the right tool for the right task? or are you one of these guys that baton's a knife thru a frozen T Bone? Can you sharpen, or are you willing to take them in to have them sharpened by a pro?

Despite their claim, this is not a classic chef's knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KNQ/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1390756783&sr=1-5&keywords=Shun+Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 pm 

TATE wrote:
meridianblades wrote:
I think you should read the original post.... there is some info in there that kind of stands out.

Things like.... "There was a Day when the German and French knives were King--It is Gone--they have been De-Throned. A Kershaw Shun in VG-10 will hold an edge far longer than any of the German or French Knives. Any sharpener will work on the Softer German knives and all of the Cheap Ones. No Cheap sharpener will give you the Quality Edge we are talking about above."

The reason I started the post was to say there is a level above the "home cook" cutlery, if a person wants superior cutting ability, and a blade that stays sharp significantly longer, their are other options out there besides "sets" of knives the avg home cook uses. As single blade could cost more than your entire set of Wusthofs /Henckels...

Of course, there are trade offs too. How well do you take care of your blades "tools"? Do you run them thru the dishwasher? Do you drop them a lot (thin hard edges chip easier). Do you use the right tool for the right task? or are you one of these guys that baton's a knife thru a frozen T Bone? Can you sharpen, or are you willing to take them in to have them sharpened by a pro?

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B0000Y7KNQ/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1390756783&sr=1-5&keywords=Shun+Pro

That's not what they said, and what is the definition of a "classic chef knife"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm 

So interesting how these instructive thread devolve into pissing matches.

Why can't people educate without judging others?

Scott <<== king of rhetorical questions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:51 pm 

ScottR wrote:
So interesting how these instructive thread devolve into pissing matches.

Why can't people educate without judging others?

Scott <<== king of rhetorical questions

HAHAHA... not a pissing contest Scott. I am not judging Tate or anyone else. Why are you judging me?.... It doesn't matter, the point was just to say there is alternatives out there. That's it.

If Jimbo wants to keep using his Ginsu, the more power to him. People like what they like. If he's happy then no harm no foul.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:54 pm 

meridianblades wrote:
TATE wrote:
meridianblades wrote:

That's not what they said, and what is the definition of a "classic chef knife"?

This one has a bolster that isn't designed for a typical pinch grip.

http://notacook.com/2012/03/11/knife-holding/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 am 

meridianblades wrote:

If Jimbo wants to keep using his Ginsu, the more power to him. People like what they like. If he's happy then no harm no foul.

HEY!!! Quit picking on me just cause I can't afford a fancy knife like you.

Jim <---Hates being bullied

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:31 pm 

JimBo wrote:
meridianblades wrote:

HEY!!! Quit picking on me just cause I can't afford a fancy knife like you.

Jim <---Hates being bullied

See that's the funny thing.... those knives of mine are NOT "fancy"... maybe $250 tops with the nice handle material. "Semi - Production" blades....

Somehow me thinks you could buy yourself a little something nice for the knife block in the kitchen if you wanted...... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:24 pm 

For what it's worth, I've changed my opinion on Japanese knives. I like them a lot and my Wusthof's are lonely.

I do, however, believe in a high end electric sharpener and a 15 degree bevel.

Attachments:
Knivescorrect.jpg
Knivescorrect.jpg [ 224.89 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:00 am 

Tate,

I post on the Cuisine at Home forum and when I mentioned I had received some Alton Brown Shun knives for Christmas, buzzard767 replied with some very useful advice on the caring of them:

"Congratulations on your Shun AA knives. Unusual and good looking. The steel in those knives is the aforementioned VG-10 with stainless cladding. Shun, who markets primarily to the Western markets, has made it easy for you. Shun grinds all of their edges at 16 degrees per side. Because of this they sell an electric sharpener to match. It's available everywhere Shuns are sold and at mail order sites such as Cutlery & More. Do not use any other sharpener as most of them cut angles of 22-25 degrees per side and your knives will lose the acute edge therefore reducing cutting ability."

I love my Shuns, too.

Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am 

Hi everybody,
its nice to pop in once in a while and see people pop in too.

well 4 years later and the same exact set of knives
are in the kitchen.