Post subject: Leonard Bludworth Passed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Admin

RIP Blud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:04 am 

RIP red Blud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:40 am 

I was not a fan, but sad to see him go.
I believe Leonard was one of the guys who started the ACA.

Jim<——— condolences to his family

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 am 

I knew that Leonard was not well but did not realize exactly how bad - sad to see his passing - RIP.
Yes, he was very involved in getting the ACA started and was the first President of the ACA .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:10 pm 

JimBo wrote:
I was not a fan, but sad to see him go.
I believe Leonard was one of the guys who started the ACA.

Jim<——— condolences to his family

No matter how anyone feels/felt about Leonard, he was actually THE "founding father" of the American Cuemakers Association. From the ACA website comes this somewhat "sanitized history:

"While the general idea of a cuemaker's guild has been around for decades, no one did anything about it, other than talk. Finally in January, 1992, Leonard Bludworth assembled eight cuemakers in Columbia, South Carolina for the organizational meeting of what would soon become the American Cuemakers Association. This group of cuemakers realized the importance of communication between cuemakers and the strength that could be gained by acting together."

Leonard called me in December of 1991, and told me about "his idea" of forming a cuemaking guild or association. I immediately agreed to be involved. There was a Grady Mathews "Legends of One Pocket" event scheduled for the third week in January, and he proposed that time and location for our first meeting.

That inaugural meeting of the American Cuemaker’s Association took place in small hotel conference room in Columbia, South Carolina on Friday, January 24th, 1992. There were eight cuemaking attendees at that first meeting, and these eight are considered the ”Founding Fathers” of the ACA. They are Leonard Bludworth, Tim Scruggs, James “Whitey” Spach, Dennis Dieckman, Joe Porper, John Guffey, Joseph Jansey, and myself (Thomas Wayne).

Leonard presided over that meeting, and his proposal to the small group was that we form an official association of all the American cuemakers who would then lobby Congress to prevent the massive influx of cheap Chinese pool cues into the US marketplace. Leonard presented the idea with great fervor, and the others all agreed it was a good idea. All except me. As the lone dissenting voice, I argued that no other US industry had been successful at "banning" Chinese products, and we would not be either. Instead, I proposed that we focus on promoting American-made cues as being superior to the Asian imports. After much discussion it was agreed that this would be our mission.

Further discussion led to settling on the name "The American Cuemaker Association", the formation of a rudimentary officer and membership structure, and the election of Leonard as president and Tim Scruggs as vice-president.

Behind the scenes, a number of cuemakers who knew of Leonard's planned meeting had been placing phone calls in attempt to derail that initial meeting. In my case, Richard Black called and told me that the South Carolina meeting was insignificant, and that the "real" inaugural meeting would occur at a later date at the upcoming Pheasant Run Billiard Tournament in Chicago. I recognized this as an attempt by some of the more established cuemakers (Black, Gordy Hart, et al) to "steal" the association founding (and therefore initial control) from Leonard. This explains why the list of "founding father" contains some names you may not recognize today. In the end, this attempted "coup" failed, and the meeting at Pheasant Run, while very important to the further establishment of the ACA, was built on Bludworth and Scruggs as the first official officers of the group, and the founding resolution [to promote American-made Cues] as the cornerstone of the organization.

They say "history is written by the winners", but actually it's written by the survivors - and, in case anyone cares, I have documentary proof of everything I've written above.

TW