pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is You?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:50 pm 

I'm Shelby Williams, and I'm a 26 year old MALE. been playing pool for a little over a year now and have been consumed by it from the beginning. I'm more than likely a C player now and I blame Larry because he won't tell me no when I ask for new shafts....I have 5. I ordered a hightower lathe and I'll be accepting pre-orders on my first cues starting tomorrow. I also have a horrible sense of humor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:12 pm 

Lurk1324 wrote:
I'm Shelby Williams, and I'm a 26 year old MALE. been playing pool for a little over a year now and have been consumed by it from the beginning. I'm more than likely a C player now and I blame Larry because he won't tell me no when I ask for new shafts....I have 5. I ordered a hightower lathe and I'll be accepting pre-orders on my first cues starting tomorrow. I also have a horrible sense of humor.

It's been a pleasure shafting you at every opportunity, but you can hardly blame me for you being a C player.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 pm 

Lurk1324 wrote:

Welcome lurk, exactly why do you need 5 shafts??? What changes are you making? Is this some type of playing experiment you are conducting?
Please tell us a little about it and your findings, I am not a LD guy but recently have been playing with a custom Dunkel LD shaft and a ferruless shaft from someone else, I haven't been hitting enough balls to have any feedback. Feel free to start a thread or 5 and if you have any questions for me just ask.

Most importantly if you have any feedback as to how we can make JA great again feel free to share.

Jim<------happy to see new members

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 am 

JimBo wrote:
Welcome lurk, exactly why do you need 5 shafts??? What changes are you making? Is this some type of playing experiment you are conducting?
Please tell us a little about it and your findings, I am not a LD guy but recently have been playing with a custom Dunkel LD shaft and a ferruless shaft from someone else, I haven't been hitting enough balls to have any feedback. Feel free to start a thread or 5 and if you have any questions for me just ask.

Most importantly if you have any feedback as to how we can make JA great again feel free to share.

Well when I first started playing I had an old Mcdermot I bought off a friend. Once I fell in love with the game I had bought a joss, a jim pierce, a predator roadline, an Ob and then Larry made me a cue. This was all in a period of 7 months from the first time I picked up a cue. I practiced 10 hours everyday because I was fortunate enough to have a table at my disposal when I worked. Since playing with a Vigus I have tried multiple shafts partially because for all my other cues I had bought a 314-2 and I loved it. I was basically just trying different diameters with the shafts Larry was making me. I like every one of them but I'd be lying if I said the shaft I stuck with isn't a predator z3 partial. Laminated Shafts are what I started with and is inevitably what i will end up with.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 pm 

Lurk1324 wrote:
JimBo wrote:

Well when I first started playing I had an old Mcdermot I bought off a friend. Once I fell in love with the game I had bought a joss, a jim pierce, a predator roadline, an Ob and then Larry made me a cue. This was all in a period of 7 months from the first time I picked up a cue. I practiced 10 hours everyday because I was fortunate enough to have a table at my disposal when I worked. Since playing with a Vigus I have tried multiple shafts partially because for all my other cues I had bought a 314-2 and I loved it. I was basically just trying different diameters with the shafts Larry was making me. I like every one of them but I'd be lying if I said the shaft I stuck with isn't a predator z3 partial. Laminated Shafts are what I started with and is inevitably what i will end up with.

I'm glad you have been bitten by the bug, I am not an LD aftermarket shaft guy but I can see the allure and benefits of it. I would say that you shouldn't be so closed minded, keep an open mind and try everything.

Jim <---now go start some threads and get involved with dopey arguments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:49 pm 

Hello everybody, my name is Ted, and I'm kind of a big deal

In the last 4-years I have sold 140 cues and 30-cases out of my collection, and I've purchased or traded for about 60 or cues as well.
It was more of an accumulation than a collection, because I would of sold them sooner if I wasn't so busy.
It's easer to buy cues than to sell them.
I've gone through 25-rolls of tape, over 100-mailing tubes, various boxes, and 1800 lineal feet of bubble wrap.
It takes 6-9 feet of bubble wrap per cue, more for cases and certain cues, you do the math.

Peace
Ted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:50 am 

Welcome Ted, thanks for posting, I've asked a few people that I've met along my journey and nobody knows you, but I'm glad you have a high opinion about your fame.;-) that aside I've got a question about your story, why have you focused so much about selling the cues and not buying??? I mean you also bought or somehow aquired them. For me unwrapping a new cue is always more fun than packing it up. Are these production cues or custom cues? What are your favorites? Are there any cues you would never part with? Why? What was your favorite playing cue? Do you play?

What do we have to do to see some of these cues? How about a group shot of your top 10 favorite cues? Do you know ScottR? Have you ever seen his cues? He's got a pretty good line up.

Jim <----- jealous of ScottR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:11 pm 

Well Jimbo are these people "in the know" aware that I've purchased or traded 12 Josswests in the last 2 months, 2 Tascarellas last week, among many others just recently.
Come to Denver and see players everywhere playing with my old cues.
You know I haven't been able to go to SBE and schmooze like all the nuthuggers, but I buy a lot of cues, and didn't sell any until four years when I retired early.

I can't find any options to paste photos, except for the browse feature, and my files are too big.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:38 pm 

blueslide wrote:
Well Jimbo are these people "in the know" aware that I've purchased or traded 12 Josswests in the last 2 months, 2 Tascarellas last week, among many others just recently.
You know I haven't been able to go to SBE and schmooze like all the nuthuggers, but I buy a lot of cues, and didn't sell any until four years when I retired early.

I can't find any options to paste photos, except for the browse feature, and my files are too big.

Send the files to me and I'll resize and post them. sroberson42@hotmail.com

ScottR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:48 pm 

Thanks Scott
I sent you some files
Let me know if it didn't work

Trying to figure out why I can't even paste the photobucket pics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:34 am 

Hello everyone!

I thought I had done this already but after perusing this thread I guess I didnt so for those who dont know me here it goes..

My name is Tim Lilek. Ive been around pool since I was 14 playing in the Chicagoland area. As an older teenager I started playing in local tourneys doing fairly well and in my early twenties expanded to more "regional" as I thought I could "hang". I did well but do to my desire to earn a REAL LIVING I decided to lean towards my other passion that I started at 7 years of age, music (drums). LIKE THAT WAS A BETTER CHOICE..HAHA!... Anyway I pursued my musical career becoming relatively successful performing live which led to a studio musician gig while in college and leading to my day job as a private percussion teacher for the last 30+ years. I still perform today as well am active doing studio work.

College afforded me the opportunity to be involved in photography, art, and design. I started my passion for cues in 1982 when I ordered a cue from Schön cues I followed up by buying a Kersenbrock from John Wright a few years later and while still in college a Gus cue the year before Gus passed. (that cue burned up in a car fire in early 88' which I have never gotten over), I really started to explore my passion around 1990 when I started playing around with designs for cues. Through a freak meeting of a local player at a popular Chicago pool hall (Chris's) I met Joe Gold, my "Brother From Another Mother", in 1993 and asked him to make me a cue. I happen to share with him that I like to doodle a little and thought many of them might look good in a cue. I gave him a lot of cue design drawings. Many of which today I wish he would burn..LOL.. He did decided to use many which can be seen in his cues over the years. I would hang out in Joe's shop at night at least 3 days a week for close to 4 years and he as gracious enough to share all aspects to building cues. He is a very close friend of mine and we still "hang" any chance we get. Through Joe I met Leonard Bludworth and was asked to design and code some cad/cam designs for him as well. Through Leonard I met Dan Breggin from Colorado cues which I also designed and coded. In late 1998 I met Keith Josey, another BFAM, and have been designing, cad drawing, and writing the cnc machine code for all the cues coming out of the Josey shop ever since. Keith is another great friend but as he is in Georgia we dont get too many opportunities to hang. :cry: Over the years I've had the opportunity to work with other makers such as, David Kikel, The Tascarella's, Carolina Cues, Jerry Rauenzahn, and though not designing "for" but designing to have a cue made, most recently Bob Manzino (Gus 2000 in my avatar pic). Over the years I've worked very hard on my own design work and as such am a big advocate against CDT as are many others. If you must hold that against me, so be it. Im a big boy. I can take it. :)

I love pool and I love cues.... "Thats all I have to say about that" (Forrest Gump) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:11 am 

Hey Tim, welcome to the forum
Good thinking to post your life story and everything, I would of never thought of that
I'm a day into this introduction stuff, now I feel like I should take another shot at it.

Give me a call when you have a minute

Peace
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:37 pm 

I didn't realize you worked with all of those cue builders, Tim. That's cool.

Scott <<== only has one CAD make it to a cue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:03 am 

ScottR wrote:
I didn't realize you worked with all of those cue builders, Tim. That's cool.

Scott <<== only has one CAD make it to a cue

Thanks Scott..It's been a lot of fun and I'm grateful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 am 

blueslide wrote:

If you google image resizer clone and load it on your machine you will be good to go. Its the only one I know how to use and works great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next