pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:32 pm 

JimBo wrote:
Great write up Rob, I was interested to hear about how pool is doing in other places and it seems to be the same there as here, sadly decreasing :-(.

How did you get the name Al CaPool < I assume it's a take on Al Capone and maybe it's as simple as you being 1/2 Italian, or maybe you are Gangstah.??? Fill me in.

Jim <---Met Rob in 87, but only has a vague remembrance of it

Dear Jim,
First of all I thank you for the kind words concerning my Maxi-Mini Biography! :mrgreen:
Regarding my User- and Nick-Name Al Capool:
Don't worry, I'm neither the Godfather nor another real Mafioso…LOL
If I remember all rightly I've got my Nickname like this:
When I was much younger I loved to gamble a lot and when there was an opportunity, also to hustle some "innocents" victims! Well in 1988 I find such a perfect "innocent" victim, who couldn't stop playing against me and who lost so many times, so much money! Of course most of times he lost quite close… LOL
But that really didn't matter him! One reason was that he had for real more than enough money! The second reason he told it to me on one of these eves: He said that he already knew for a quite long time, that I was hustling him and it wasn't a hazard that he always lost so close! But he still wanted to gamble with me, because he just liked to play and to talk with me! He added (laughing) you are for real the Al Capone of Pool! I just answered (also laughing) so my name wouldn't be Roberto anymore, it would be more something like...:idea:...Al Capool! We both couldn't stop laughing and thought that this name is very funny but real cool too! I loved that name/word combination so much, that I kept it till today and I still love that name and it fits quite well to me! At least IMO
René Heiniger who was that "innocent" victim became to one of my best friends and all over these past years he became to a very good Poolplayer too! Btw he's right the guy who won against me with that damned save position in which he left me, by the score of 6:6 (race to 7) :evil: on the last 10-Ball Swiss Championships, I played in 2011 (I already described that in my: Who is you?) I think it must have been he's deserved revenge, he finally got after more than 25 years of waiting?! LOL

Rob <---Met Jim in 87, but has even much less remembrance of Jim! What a shame to become old and senile... LOL

Post subject: Re: Who is You?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 am 

Hi all,
Just joined the other day. Not much to say, just another pool fan. Been playing since I was about 10, 45 yrs or so. Did not have my own cue until about 1980, when I purchased a McD C3 from a place in Chicago, called the "Corner Pocket". Worked there behind the counter for a while too. Its No longer there. (My buddy bought a plain birdseye, used Spain at the same time, who made the better choice?). Did not play much for about 15 years after getting married, but began playing again fairly regular about 2004 and got the cue bug around 2006. Collected a bit for a few years. Now just look. Have a few decent cues, but nothing like the masterpieces I see here. When I get a chance, I'll post some pics. My avatar is a Perry Weston multi-point burl into purpleheart, which I purchased from Cornerstone a few years back. I like the low traffic volume of this site, so looking forward to reading through some of the stuff here.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 pm 

Sandman wrote:
Hi all,
Just joined the other day. Not much to say, just another pool fan. Been playing since I was about 10, 45 yrs or so. Did not have my own cue until about 1980, when I purchased a McD C3 from a place in Chicago, called the "Corner Pocket". Worked there behind the counter for a while too. Its No longer there. (My buddy bought a plain birdseye, used Spain at the same time, who made the better choice?). Did not play much for about 15 years after getting married, but began playing again fairly regular about 2004 and got the cue bug around 2006. Collected a bit for a few years. Now just look. Have a few decent cues, but nothing like the masterpieces I see here. When I get a chance, I'll post some pics. My avatar is a Perry Weston multi-point burl into purpleheart, which I purchased from Cornerstone a few years back. I like the low traffic volume of this site, so looking forward to reading through some of the stuff here.
Mike

Welcome Mike, our traffic varies but for sure we are much slower then az, the good news is that means less moron posts. We have a ton of good content, trying to find it might not be as easy. We are censor free, the hope is that people can be adult and ignore the crap that doesn't appeal to them and that we are a place where you can call an asshole, an asshole. It might not work as good as we had thought. We'd love to see your cues and although it's been slow as of late I can assure you if you start a good thought provoking thread it'll get some hits.

Jim <------Selling some cues this week on e-bay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:55 pm 

JimBo wrote:

blah, blah, blah..... Heheheh

Jim <------Selling some cues this week on e-bay[/b]

Say what?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:02 am 

ScottR wrote:
JimBo wrote:

Say what?!?!?!?

I've changed focus and decided that holding on to everything isn't the best choice for me any longer.

Jim <---Not selling anything you'd buy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:53 pm 

JimBo wrote:
ScottR wrote:
JimBo wrote:

Say what?!?!?!?

I've changed focus and decided that holding on to everything isn't the best choice for me any longer.

Jim <---Not selling anything you'd buy

Got any sneakies ? And you never sent me the pictures of the Dale Perry :evil:

Welcome Sandman Mike !

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:06 pm 

I am Robin Kelly. I live near Winston Salem North Carolina. I love pool. I love to write about Pool. I am retired and I now operate Kelly Lawn Care a small part time Commercial Lawn Care Company. I played a lot of pool growing up. I rejoined Pool in 2005 and have been back every since. If there is anything I would like to see in the Pool Industry is some cohesiveness, cooperation, some organization and goal setting. I am trying to do my part and so far its going ok. I'm happy with little victories.

aimisthegameinpool@yahoo.com
CreditCards,Paypal, Money orders accepted

Aiming with Constructive Clue Systems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:57 pm 

Hi Folks,

Ricky here from NYC. Used to play a lot of pool and collect cues in the early 2000's but got out of it after my local pool hall closed up (Corner Billiards in Manhattan). Started collecting again last year and slowly building a modest collection with a different focus than before. Still don't get much play time in given my job responsibilities, lack of decent local place to play at reasonable rates. Still it hasn't deterred me from appreciating a fine made custom cue.

Admittedly I'm on AZB quite a lot, mostly in the Cue Gallery and Forsale section to see what's changing hands and get ideas for cue designs. See a lot of familiar users here which is great. I've attended SBE once back in the day. Hoping to attend this year. Always nice to put a face to dealers and collectors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm 

ironchef. wrote:
Hi Folks,

Ricky here from NYC. Used to play a lot of pool and collect cues in the early 2000's but got out of it after my local pool hall closed up (Corner Billiards in Manhattan). Started collecting again last year and slowly building a modest collection with a different focus than before. Still don't get much play time in given my job responsibilities, lack of decent local place to play at reasonable rates. Still it hasn't deterred me from appreciating a fine made custom cue.

Admittedly I'm on AZB quite a lot, mostly in the Cue Gallery and Forsale section to see what's changing hands and get ideas for cue designs. See a lot of familiar users here which is great. I've attended SBE once back in the day. Hoping to attend this year. Always nice to put a face to dealers and collectors.

Hey bud, I remember you from AZ.
You had some nice Fanelli's if I remember correctly.

Good to see back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 pm 

Koop wrote:

Good to see back.

Thanks Koop! Yes, I have a couple of Fanelli's and looking to add more. It's strangely ironic and I guess meaningful that you brought that up. What brought me back into collecting was the hope that I could put together a nice collection of Fanelli cues. I was really shaken and struck by Paul's sudden passing in 2011. It prompted me to re-acquire the original cue I commissioned from him and luckily I was able to get it back. I've since added another Fanelli to my collection and I'm in talks for another one. The hope is to one day honor Paul in my own personal way with a diverse collection of his cues. Wishful thinking that I would just stick with one maker, it just rekindled my love affair with all cues and well, here I am.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:32 pm 

ironchef. wrote:
Koop wrote:

Good to see back.

Thanks Koop! Yes, I have a couple of Fanelli's and looking to add more. It's strangely ironic and I guess meaningful that you brought that up. What brought me back into collecting was the hope that I could put together a nice collection of Fanelli cues. I was really shaken and struck by Paul's sudden passing in 2011. It prompted me to re-acquire the original cue I commissioned from him and luckily I was able to get it back. I've since added another Fanelli to my collection and I'm in talks for another one. The hope is to one day honor Paul in my own personal way with a diverse collection of his cues. Wishful thinking that I would just stick with one maker, it just rekindled my love affair with all cues and well, here I am.

Cool story, bud.
Let us know if you'll be at the SBE this year. We will have to show the secret handshake to get in to the party room if Jim gets off his ass and books one :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:44 pm 

ironchef. wrote:
Koop wrote:

Good to see back.

I also Love Paul and was sad when he passed, recently I got rid of one of his cues in a deal I couldn't say no to.
I remember you from back in my az days as well, didn't you also have some TCW cues??
If you are interested I can set you up with your own colelction section where you are the mod and can run how you choose, you can honor paul there.

I traded the cue because I feel that Paul doesn't get the respect he deserves and the values of his cues are way too low for what I believe they should be. Paul was a genius and didn't make many cues. But his cues can be picked up cheap IMO.

Welcome Rick, I am not sure about a party room but we are doing a dinner on Sat night, you should come most of the people (if not all) going sre members on both forums.

Jim <---Owns the nicest Fanelli made.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 pm 

JimBo wrote:

I also Love Paul and was sad when he passed, recently I got rid of one of his cues in a deal I couldn't say no to.
I remember you from back in my az days as well, didn't you also have some TCW cues??
If you are interested I can set you up with your own colelction section where you are the mod and can run how you choose, you can honor paul there.

I traded the cue because I feel that Paul doesn't get the respect he deserves and the values of his cues are way too low for what I believe they should be. Paul was a genius and didn't make many cues. But his cues can be picked up cheap IMO.

Welcome Rick, I am not sure about a party room but we are doing a dinner on Sat night, you should come most of the people (if not all) going sre members on both forums.

Jim <---Owns the nicest Fanelli made.

Thanks Jim, appreciate the kind gesture. My collection is modest at best so maybe I'll just resurrect the Fanelli Tribute thread after I get the third cue and run off some pics. You are correct, I had one very special Tucker cue and again ironically enough, made in tandem with the Fanelli cue I had commissioned. Paul sent Murray the veneers so the two cues could match up. I recently traded away that fancy Tucker, again because I'm moving my collecting in a different direction. Beautiful cue and Murray was such a pleasure to work with. Having only gotten back into collecting recently, I haven't seen a whole lot of Fanelli's pop up for sale. If I make it to SBE, hopefully there are some there at reasonable prices. A small funny tidbit, the Fanelli I commissioned made it into the Blue Book and my best friend has a very plain one from Paul which also made it into the same photo in the Blue Book. Such a great experience working with Paul and many treasured visits to his home in Clifton.

Post subject: Who is You?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you signed up Ricky. Hope you join us for dinner at the expo if you make it.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:04 pm 

Catscradle wrote:
I'm Steve Ellis, designated Brigadier General of the Jimbo Army one night at the SBE JA party by a somewhat inebriated Dennis Dieckman. Like any general I don't do anything around here.
I'm 64 and either unemployed or in forced retirement, I'm still deciding which it really is.
I've only played serious pool since I was 54 when the last of my kids headed off to college. I happened to get a bonus at work and used it to buy a table. I'd say I'm a pretty good 'C' player, I think I might have been better if I started earlier in life. I'm feel I can still improve further despite my age. I am a reluctant captain of an APA 8-ball team looking like it might be the doormat of the division and a member of an APA 9-ball team which is very good.
I have a small cue collection (a dozen and a half or so), but though it is kind of on hold because of lack of a job, I sometimes find myself buying a new cue regardless. I'd like to buy more cues particularly from members of this forum, but as I said it's not practical at this time.
When I win the lottery I will open a pool room which will undoubtedly loss money, but I'll be a billionaire so who cares.
I have 4 adult sons and a wife (who is also an adult) of 34 years. Besides playing pool I read and run (er, ah, jog I guess) a lot.
And oh yeah, my screen name refers to Kurt Vonnegut's Cats Cradle one of my favorite books.

I AM BACK.......Deek-Idiot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next