RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is You?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm 

Haha. Actually, I developed CMC (Basil Joint) Arthritis from 20+ years of playing pool. Well, that and a generous helping of genes thanks to my mother. The rehab is moving along pretty well and I hope my pool game keeps getting better. I'm writing a lengthy three-part blog article about the four year battle with my left thumb. I've got plenty of gross photos from the surgery and before and after x-rays. With my chronicles, I hope to help out other players with the same problem.

http://www.billiardcoach.com
http://billiardcoach.com/forums

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm 

Hello all. My name is Willie Speed. Live in Sherman, TX. 39yrs old. In the Army after High School, 8 yrs. Got a regular 9 to 5. Met my good friend 63KCode at the local pool hall in Sherman a few years back. Was able to acquire a wood lathe from him to do shaft and butt sanding and refinishing. Started building cues about a year and a half ago after I acquired a deluxe cuesmith from my buddy Jake. I really like to do house cue conversions. Always liked a "custom" sneakypete. Made about 15 cues so far, give or take. Conversions, full splice blanks, and merry widows. (this does not count my screw ups.) Most of the cues I build are 60 inches long, unless otherwise specified. Time and budget somewhat limit my cue production. Done alot of refinishing and made a bunch of aftermarket shafts for friends and family too. I love to play pool. Making cues allows me to build the types of cues I like to play with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:55 am 

swilliespeed wrote:
Hello all. My name is Willie Speed. Live in Sherman, TX. 39yrs old. In the Army after High School, 8 yrs. Got a regular 9 to 5. Met my good friend 63KCode at the local pool hall in Sherman a few years back. Was able to acquire a wood lathe from him to do shaft and butt sanding and refinishing. Started building cues about a year and a half ago after I acquired a deluxe cuesmith from my buddy Jake. I really like to do house cue conversions. Always liked a "custom" sneakypete. Made about 15 cues so far, give or take. Conversions, full splice blanks, and merry widows. (this does not count my screw ups.) Most of the cues I build are 60 inches long, unless otherwise specified. Time and budget somewhat limit my cue production. Done alot of refinishing and made a bunch of aftermarket shafts for friends and family too. I love to play pool. Making cues allows me to build the types of cues I like to play with.

Sorry no blacks allowed.

Can you tell me why you build your cues 60"
Also how does your taper change if at all from how you would build a 58 inch cue??

Jim <---Fan of 60 inch cues

PS Welcome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:10 am 

JimBo wrote:

Sorry no blacks allowed.

Also how does your taper change if at all from how you would build a 58 inch cue??

PS Welcome

To late he is already here. Looks like you will have to ban him!

Welcome to the party Willie

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:33 am 

JimBo wrote:
swilliespeed wrote:

Sorry no blacks allowed.

PS Welcome

Hello Jim. I like 60 inch cues because I have always put myself in bad shape on the table and I would need the bridge, or need a longer cue to be comfortable in hitting the cueball. I started out getting 30 inch shafts since my production cue was 58 inches. Also I love the balance of a 60 inch cue. I am 5ft 8in tall, so a longer cue just feels better to me. So to answer your question, I build 60 inch cues because I prefer to shoot with 60 inch cues. If I build a cue for a customer it will be 60 inches long unless they specify something different. The taper on my cues would not be different at all if I build a 58in cue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm 

swilliespeed wrote:
Hello Jim. I like 60 inch cues because I have always put myself in bad shape on the table and I would need the bridge, or need a longer cue to be comfortable in hitting the cueball. I started out getting 30 inch shafts since my production cue was 58 inches. Also I love the balance of a 60 inch cue. I am 5ft 8in tall, so a longer cue just feels better to me. So to answer your question, I build 60 inch cues because I prefer to shoot with 60 inch cues. If I build a cue for a customer it will be 60 inches long unless they specify something different. The taper on my cues would not be different at all if I build a 58in cue.

I love your reason, maybe that's why I like longer cues.
I really don't feel that how tall a person is plays in, I am 6'2" and always hold the cue behind the wrap, I shoot with a guy who is 6'3" and he shoots witha 58" cue and holds it at the front of his wrap (choked up so to speak).
But I don't understand how it can't effect the taper, you either need to add that legnth to the front which would mean that your taper would be a little longer maybe making the cue "whippy" for lack of a better term, or fatter at the joint maybe making the cue stiffer (see above). Or you just have a legnth of the cue that runs straight near the joint I would expect.

Jim <----Keep in mind I am not a cuemaker and I may be clueless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 am 

JimBo wrote:
I really don't feel that how tall a person is plays in, I am 6'2" and always hold the cue behind the wrap, I shoot with a guy who is 6'3" and he shoots witha 58" cue and holds it at the front of his wrap (choked up so to speak).

I disagree on this to some extent. I'm only 6'1 but I have a lower stance and to have "proper" form with my preferred bridge length my hand is falling off of the cue on some normal to longer shots. With a 60" cue I'm able to keep better mechanics on a much larger percentage of shots. If you're on the taller side, you have and wish to have your arm perpendicular to the floor at contact you have to have a very upright stance, a short bridge length, or a longer cue. That said, I can also see where longer cues would come in handy for shorter people being able to reach more shots as well.

My $.02 on the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 pm 

Zack you seem to be making my point.

Jim <---Confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 pm 

JimBo wrote:
Zack you seem to be making my point.

Jim <---Confused

I am confused too! This topic seems to justify having it's own thread! Not clogging up the who is you thread. I think it would be interesting to hear/read why people like their cues and cuemakers thoughts on why they settled on the specks of their cues!

Larry< to lazy to start the thread but think it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 am 

Hi MY name is Jeff Lewis, I'm learning to make Cues, with Dennis Dieckman. Do you guys think that is a good idea? I'm a Harp builder and have been playing Pool for about 10 years. I built a harp for Daniel Prather, in exchange for a couple of harps. since that day I have been fascinated, with making cues. I love to barter, so anyone interested in custom made harps, let me know. I will be at the Super Billards Expo, I hope to meet many of you there.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

Harpman wrote:
Hi MY name is Jeff Lewis, I'm learning to make Cues, with Dennis Dieckman. Do you guys think that is a good idea? I'm a Harp builder and have been playing Pool for about 10 years. I built a harp for Daniel Prather, in exchange for a couple of harps. since that day I have been fascinated, with making cues. I love to barter, so anyone interested in custom made harps, let me know. I will be at the Super Billards Expo, I hope to meet many of you there.

Jeff

Jeff thanks for joining, I would love to see some of your harp work, and also love to know how much for a harp made of purpleheart would cost, I might need one.
As far as learning anything from Deek, well ummm No comment. I am sure we will meet at SBE, can't wait.
In the mean time please start a thread with some harps in it.

Jim <---Did I mention membership here costs 1 harp??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am 

LOL...Thanks Jim, for the welcome. I will get some pictures ready and get them up soon.

;)
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 am 

I am married, no children, and live in East Lyme, CT. On AZB and eBay, my username is sealegs50. At the time I registered on those sites, I had a sailboat called SeaLegs, which I no longer own. I have been playing pool for 43 years, since I entered college. In college, I was fortunate to have access to a pool table and even more fortunate to have a friend teach me how to play. After this much practice, I should be a much stronger player. My first real job was in Modesto, CA from 1982-6. The local pool room, Ferroni’s Family Billiards, was the home room of Kim Davenport and one of the best pool rooms I have ever frequented. As well as playing Kim a few times in local tournaments, over the years, I had the privilege of playing Jack Calavita and Willie Mosconi. Three jobs and three states later, I am still playing. I have had tables at home for 26 years. I was notified of being laid off last Halloween on my 60th birthday. Since then, I have been trying to find work. But at my age, the pickins will be slim.

The owner of Ferroni’s was Barry Bettencourt, one of the nicest people I have ever met. He was associated with two custom cue makers, Dan Janes and Gus Szamboti. I couldn’t afford the Szamboti in those days, so I ordered a Joss, which I still own and play. Eventually, I purchased a Gus Szamboti cue in 2006 and enjoy playing with it as much as I anticipated. My other favorite cue is a 1993 Bill Schick cue that I purchased in 1997. My most recent acquisition 6 months ago was a Lee Peppers cue that I ordered 1.5 years previously. My tastes are definitely old school, both in styling and performance.

I enjoyed meeting several of you recently at Snookers.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm 

My name is Mark I'm from Chesapeake Beach Md. I'm 53 3 kids including a 11 yr old so i don't play much when I do I play B level with the occasional A gear ,cashed a few times in regional tours ,a couple times at the SBE and last yr our APA masters team cashed in Vegas
Next to pool time on or near the water is where I like to be I got a couple if boats and do some surf fishing when I can OBX in the fall
When I'm not doing any of those things I'm working as a postal general contractor superintendent earning money to do those things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:22 pm 

Welcome Mark, sorry I was a dick in the JCBC+ thread, but I just can never figure out why grown adults take the bullshit censorship of AZ without any self respect. I know I am a bit odd because I vowed that if I got banned for having an opinion that the jacktard in charge didn't approve of I would NEVER return. And week after week we see people get banned for nothing more then speaking an opinion and week after week we see these people come here for a month or whatever their ban is, or worse make up fake screen names like their fake brother, or wife, or shop account and crawl back tail between their legs promising not to ever have a difference of opinion again.

Don't get me wrong, if there is a no swearing rule or other such rules I see nothing wrong with sticking to them and banning people who break said rules. But when you just call a person crazy (when it's true) or you argue with one of the chosen few and have opinions that are against one power hungry man child and get disciplined for it I can't imagine how you can go back and sleep at night.

Jim <------ Stands up for principles and what's right and think adults don't need a baby sitter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next