RIP "Blud"

Another One Gone
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good stocks to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:09 pm 

:evil:
HOLY SHIT BAGS is China kicking us in the nuts right now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:32 pm 

I guess I'm going to have to put off retirement for another lifetime, or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm 

TATE wrote:
I guess I'm going to have to put off retirement for another lifetime, or two.

Nah, just give it a few months and this will be a distant memory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:32 pm 

I'm looking for 2 or 3 good stocks myself. I don't know if I'd trust more than 1 or 2 peoples advice on here though! If you get any good advice you want to share please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 pm 

Buy exotic hardwoods and stick them in the closet

Or real estate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:39 pm 

Rodp wrote:
I'm looking for 2 or 3 good stocks myself. I don't know if I'd trust more than 1 or 2 peoples advice on here though! If you get any good advice you want to share please let me know.

At these prices...there are a ton

My personal favorites are:

AAPL - Apple
GILD - Gilead Sciences
JUNO - Juno Therapeutics
BRK-B - Berkshire Hathaway
DIS - Disney
SWKS - Skyworks Solutions

and if you feel like taking a shot at oil while it's in the tank I like
OXY - Occidental

Here is my watch list and I have positions in all of them, one way or another. IMO you can't go wrong with the majority of these but time will tell :)

Attachments:
watchlist.JPG
watchlist.JPG [ 56.04 KiB | Viewed 7364 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 am 

As an old man, I now love PFF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 am 

TATE wrote:

I honestly feel sorry for you guys who have a good number of years ahead of you before retiring. I wouldn't know what the hell to do as far as investing my money with low interest return for normal banking products and the volatility of the market over a 20-25 year period whether it's stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or precious metals. It's scary! What's even scarier is age 65 comes along a lot faster than you can ever imagine until you hit it. Then it's like...WOW!! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED SO QUICKLY WITH LIFE!! Not that life is over by a long shot...but that DAMN MONEY BETTER BE THERE FOR THE REMAINDER OF IT!!

Maybe a better solution is buying shitty properties at low cost and renovating them for a sizable profit. There's a show on HGTV called Flip or Flop with a husband and wife team who do that in California and they make a sizable amount of money on most of them. It's a headache because they invariably find some major problem that costs more money to fix than they imagined or budgeted. Then it's a flop.

But Chris, as an old man you'll LOVE what the wife looks like on the show. I could care less whether they flip or flop but I could look at her all day long! (as an old man also)

Scroll down the page: http://countingposts.com/phpbb3/viewtop ... start=1620

http://www.decodir.com/flip-or-flop-tv- ... decor.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:40 am 

I hear you guys. PFF is great and pays a nice dividend.

If forgot to mention, whatever you decide to do, I would wait.
This market isn't done going down. There will be better prices to come in at.
I was up after the last rally and sold everything waiting for the next downturn to come back in.
This could be ugly for a couple of months. Buy in a little at a time for prices you like (dollar cost average)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:19 am 

Koop wrote:

I was up after the last rally and sold everything waiting for the next downturn to come back in.
This could be ugly for a couple of months. Buy in a little at a time for prices you like (dollar cost average)

I used to trade and jump in and out, but in most cases it did not produce as well as buy and hold and I was stressed out half the time. So I pretty much stopped trading, just occasionally buy and sell, and only check the accounts every couple of weeks. It's about 45% in ETF's based on general indexes 45% in yield funds and a few single stocks. On the yield I am focused on PFF and rode it up from the bank crises. A lot of people don't understand preferred stock. The dividend on high quality preferreds is a fixed rate, the shares have a par value, and unlike common stock the dividend cannot be cut except in extreme circumstances. PFF is a huge basket spread across the various financial industries. It produces the safest 6%-7% annually (paid monthly) that I think money can buy, so that's why I have it parked there.

I'm not using the money for income so I just let it ride and don't want to stress myself out. My portfolio is boring but has produced gains in all but one year, 2009, and that was fully recovered by 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:34 am 

wyattearp wrote:
TATE wrote:

I honestly feel sorry for you guys who have a good number of years ahead of you before retiring. I wouldn't know what the hell to do as far as investing my money with low interest return for normal banking products and the volatility of the market over a 20-25 year period whether it's stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or precious metals. It's scary! What's even scarier is age 65 comes along a lot faster than you can ever imagine until you hit it. Then it's like...WOW!! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED SO QUICKLY WITH LIFE!! Not that life is over by a long shot...but that DAMN MONEY BETTER BE THERE FOR THE REMAINDER OF IT!!

Maybe a better solution is buying shitty properties at low cost and renovating them for a sizable profit. There's a show on HGTV called Flip or Flop with a husband and wife team who do that in California and they make a sizable amount of money on most of them. It's a headache because they invariably find some major problem that costs more money to fix than they imagined or budgeted. Then it's a flop.

But Chris, as an old man you'll LOVE what the wife looks like on the show. I could care less whether they flip or flop but I could look at her all day long! (as an old man also)

I watch that show all the time! I thought about house flipping when I retire (I still have my business) but house flipping is work and I prefer to sit on my fat ass while making money. It doesn't seem right, but it works for me. That couple actually are very hard workers and their secret is, they buy right in the first place.

The house across the street from my daughter is in an older, blue collar area North of Los Angeles in Santa Clarita. It was a mess and sold for 280K, A flipper bought it, renovated on a 40K budget and sold it for 425K (took about 4 months, beginning to end). Flipping is easier in hot real estate markets with many neglected older properties. People will pay up for modernized houses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:11 pm 

TATE wrote:
Koop wrote:

I used to trade and jump in and out, but in most cases it did not produce as well as buy and hold and I was stressed out half the time. So I pretty much stopped trading, just occasionally buy and sell, and only check the accounts every couple of weeks. It's about 45% in ETF's based on general indexes 45% in yield funds and a few single stocks. On the yield I am focused on PFF and rode it up from the bank crises. A lot of people don't understand preferred stock. The dividend on high quality preferreds is a fixed rate, the shares have a par value, and unlike common stock the dividend cannot be cut except in extreme circumstances. PFF is a huge basket spread across the various financial industries. It produces the safest 6%-7% annually (paid monthly) that I think money can buy, so that's why I have it parked there.

I'm not using the money for income so I just let it ride and don't want to stress myself out. My portfolio is boring but has produced gains in all but one year, 2009, and that was fully recovered by 2010.

I'm actually with you, Chris. I just did some rebalancing but it was more to take advantage of lower prices on great companies. For the most part though, I buy and hold as well. Trying to the time the market is a fools game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 am 

wyattearp wrote:
What's even scarier is age 65 comes along a lot faster than you can ever imagine until you hit it. Then it's like...WOW!! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED SO QUICKLY WITH LIFE!! Not that life is over by a long shot...but that DAMN MONEY BETTER BE THERE FOR THE REMAINDER OF IT!!

Sometimes "65" comes much faster than imagined. I was laid off for the second (and last) time on my 60th birthday. No company in my career area hires people over the age of 60. For 30+ years I received monthly calls from recruiters trying to get me to consider positions in other companies. I never anticipated that those calls would stop so abruptly. My wife and I are fine and saved enough to afford retirement. I am not feeling sorry for myself or what happened. This is just a warning that it can happen even when you think your career is secure. Take every opportunity that is offered to save the maximum amount of money that you can like 401K, IRA, etc.

Greg <--- curious if pool cues are good investments for retirement

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:15 pm 

Greg Berger wrote:

Sometimes "65" comes much faster than imagined. I was laid off for the second (and last) time on my 60th birthday. No company in my career area hires people over the age of 60. For 30+ years I received monthly calls from recruiters trying to get me to consider positions in other companies. I never anticipated that those calls would stop so abruptly. My wife and I are fine and saved enough to afford retirement.

Good for you and truly happy to hear it.

I am not feeling sorry for myself or what happened. This is just a warning that it can happen even when you think your career is secure.

In today's world NOTHING IS SECURE!
It may be eventually difficult to get your OWN MONEY OUT of where you have it invested! It might be wiser to cash out and keep it hidden. It might sound like paranoia from back in the Depression times...but this is a fucked up WORLD ECONOMY that controls things and not just the USA.

Take every opportunity that is offered to save the maximum amount of money that you can like 401K, IRA, etc.

ABSOLUTELY!

Greg <--- curious if pool cues are good investments for retirement

Sure they are. One or two of them can keep you busy daily for hours during retirement if you have a pool table at home with all the free time of retirement. Beats SPENDING money at a coffee shop, pool room for table time, or other places.

If the electricity gets cut off because the bill can't be paid with you and your wife freezing your asses off during the coldest part of winter...burn those bitches in the fireplace just to stay alive! HELL OF AN INVESTMENT!

(I'm speaking from a position of being older than you...)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:00 pm 

wyattearp wrote:
TATE wrote:

I've actually done a couple of flips in the last 3 years but the market is getting too high in my area to make any $$. I'm always on the lookout for property but for right now I'll diversify even more and research some stocks and ultimately invest in them. Eventually more houses will come my way.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rodney