pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

J!m wrote:
Dave:

It sounds as if you waited too long between the coats. If it fully dries, you have to scuff it back (220-320 dry is fine) and then apply the final coat.

If it is still 'stinky' (smelly) it is usually OK and will 'bite'. But, if it is dried, you are trying to make a finish stick on glass, and that doesn't work too well (unless it is Shellac).

Can you get the 'sunburn' off? If so, block sand it with 220-320 and then apply your final coat. The sanding will help make it flatter at the end too (which is nice!), and it should look like a million bucks (well, several hundred anyway).

Good luck!

Ya, sounds right. The previous coat was put on 2 weeks prior but I could have sworn (sorry Bill) I prep'd the surface before I put on the urathane ... but maybe not.

Dave <-- old timer sometimes ... just don't know when

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm 

OK, pretty much done now.

Attachment:
pool room table.JPG
pool room table.JPG [ 81.55 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

Attachment:
pool room cues.JPG
pool room cues.JPG [ 125.33 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

There are a few more items on the wall. The bar also turned out well. Table plays great. Light with special LEDs imported from NYC works nicely.

Dave

PS The house is now sold and will be starting a Great Pool Room Race ** DaveK edition version 3 ** soon ... updates may follow :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:57 pm 

All that work and...you're selling the place, now :shock:

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am 

Eric. wrote:

Eric

Yep, and to add injury to it all :| I lost most of the $$ the renos cost me. Thankfully the house appreciated enough to cover real estate fees ... so I have that going for me ... which is nice :lol:

Got married last summer and we are both selling our houses and buying one together (all three transactions close in June). The new house has a nice room in the basement, not quite the same clearance around the table but is should be sufficient (about 4 1/2 feet on three sides, the other side is open to a seating area ... room is 19' x 23' overall). If it doesn't work out as I think there is always the option to replace the 9' table with an 8'er. As mentioned, look for the Great Pool Room Race ** DaveK edition version 3 ** soon ! :mrgreen:

And congrats ! Well played !

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am 

davek wrote:
Eric. wrote:

Eric

Yep, and to add injury to it all :| I lost most of the $$ the renos cost me. Thankfully the house appreciated enough to cover real estate fees ... so I have that going for me ... which is nice :lol:

Got married last summer and we are both selling our houses and buying one together (all three transactions close in June). The new house has a nice room in the basement, not quite the same clearance around the table but is should be sufficient (about 4 1/2 feet on three sides, the other side is open to a seating area ... room is 19' x 23' overall). If it doesn't work out as I think there is always the option to replace the 9' table with an 8'er. As mentioned, look for the Great Pool Room Race ** DaveK edition version 3 ** soon ! :mrgreen:

And congrats ! Well played !

Dave

19' x 23' is more than enough space for a 9' table and 5' on all sides. Get an electrician in there to adjust and set up the light fixture to go over the table with that in mind. It also depends on how much furniture and other junk you're going to bring into the room.

Mine is in the basement and the space is 18' x 25'.

So, what will cause the NEXT GREAT POOL ROOM RACE after this one. Hmmmm, let me think. Uhhhhhh...well, uhhhhhh...Duhhhhh...by jove I've got it!

(3 guesses and the first 2 don't count) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

wyattearp wrote:
davek wrote:
... The new house has a nice room in the basement, not quite the same clearance around the table but is should be sufficient (about 4 1/2 feet on three sides, the other side is open to a seating area ... room is 19' x 23' overall). If it doesn't work out as I think there is always the option to replace the 9' table with an 8'er.
Dave

19' x 23' is more than enough space for a 9' table and 5' on all sides. Get an electrician in there to adjust and set up the light fixture to go over the table with that in mind. It also depends on how much furniture and other junk you're going to bring into the room.

So, what will cause the NEXT GREAT POOL ROOM RACE after this one. Hmmmm, let me think. Uhhhhhh...well, uhhhhhh...Duhhhhh...by jove I've got it!

The table will go in "sideways". So the 116" table length (rail-to-rail) will be spaced in the 228" (19') length for 56" from rail-to-wall (64" cushion-to-wall). I think this will be fine but certainly less that the wide open room pictured above.

The other side of the table will have a seating / entertainment area. I do all my own electrical, have for decades (I am a stubborn cheap demanding Electrical Engineer :shock: ).

Dave <-- who's next GREAT POOL ROOM RACE will be in heaven :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:39 pm 

davek wrote:
wyattearp wrote:
davek wrote:
... The new house has a nice room in the basement, not quite the same clearance around the table but is should be sufficient (about 4 1/2 feet on three sides, the other side is open to a seating area ... room is 19' x 23' overall). If it doesn't work out as I think there is always the option to replace the 9' table with an 8'er.
Dave

The table will go in "sideways". So the 116" table length (rail-to-rail) will be spaced in the 228" (19') length for 56" from rail-to-wall (64" cushion-to-wall). I think this will be fine but certainly less that the wide open room pictured above.

The other side of the table will have a seating / entertainment area. I do all my own electrical, have for decades (I am a stubborn cheap demanding Electrical Engineer :shock: ).

Dave <-- who's next GREAT POOL ROOM RACE will be in heaven :P

64" cushion to wall will definitely work. I have one cushion to wall that is 61" and never has hurt by having to elevate a cue or hitting it, even with a ball tight against the rail. And as all men know, 3 more inches helps all worries.

As far as you and Fred being any kind of Engineers, nope! Rick said so which he proved (I can't remember how) and he's a Genius.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:26 pm 

wyattearp wrote:

64" cushion to wall will definitely work. I have one cushion to wall that is 61" and never has hurt by having to elevate a cue or hitting it, even with a ball tight against the rail. And as all men know, 3 more inches helps all worries.

As far as you and Fred being any kind of Engineers, nope! Rick said so which he proved (I can't remember how) and he's a Genius.

Ya, I think all will be fine even with my regular playing cue, a 60" Mark Bear. Of course I want to verify :mrgreen:

And I are so Engineer :evil: Got my picture on the wall at the U and the diploma on the wall at the home 8) ... and a lovely beer stein too :P

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm 

davek wrote:
wyattearp wrote:

Ya, I think all will be fine even with my regular playing cue, a 60" Mark Bear. Of course I want to verify :mrgreen:

And I are so Engineer :evil: Got my picture on the wall at the U and the diploma on the wall at the home 8) ... and a lovely beer stein too :P

Dave

Now you had to go and throw a wrinkle into the math with the 60" cue. All of mine are 58".

You'll need to be certain with your setup and measurements on all 3 sides being equal. Remember, measure twice/cut once.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:29 am 

wyattearp wrote:

Now you had to go and throw a wrinkle into the math with the 60" cue. All of mine are 58".

You'll need to be certain with your setup and measurements on all 3 sides being equal. Remember, measure twice/cut once.

No worries Bill, I collect measurement tools and instruments ... I will likely measure 42 times or more, and debate units & precision for a while too :lol:

Found a guy to move the table (and set up with new cloth :mrgreen: ) the other day, so that part is falling into place too.

Dave <-- looking forward to the new room

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9