RIP Dennis Dieckman

Hope There is a Golf Course in Heaven
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm 

Schools and seminars are all over the country for every subject and profession available. For instance, the BMW Performance one day driving school to learn how to drive their hottest and fastest cars with trained and former NASCAR or dirt track drivers runs about $4,600. There are high powered sniper type rifle schools for enthusiasts, conceal carry training schools for actual assaults, management training seminars and schools, sales training seminars and schools, self defense schools/classes, and the same for every professional position in law, medicine, and business.

Maybe I missed it or don't know about them but I never heard of a cuemaking school or seminars. I know there are schools in golf to learn how to be a certified club maker or repair facility but nothing with cues.

Why? Why has no retired cuemaker ever thought about it to tap the market. Lets take Bill Stroud as an example. Wtf is he doing with his time and life now as well as money? He's a well known big name cuemaker. He or someone like him could not only upgrade the quality of cues being sold by independent cuemakers but also reduce the total number of FUCKING HACKS who have no clue and only learn by trial and error.

It would lessen the learning curve time and help THEM earn more money to be able to make top quality cues. I think we can ALL think of some struggling HACKS right off the top of our heads.

Would the HACKS just not be interested in investing in their future? Do they ALL think they have it down pat? I don't have the answer nor all the right questions.

Let's say it ran $3,000 (which is NOT out of the question for schooling in a profession) times 100 students over (whatever period of time) = $300,000 to the pro instructor. If this is just out of the question and can't be done...maybe that's why pool sucks hind tit to most everything else.

Thoughts and ideas...???? Chime in

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:31 pm 

http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

All kidding aside, Paul Drexler will spend a few weeks helping someone learn to build cues. Not sure the current price or even if he will still do it.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:19 pm 

Dennis Dieckman also has a school I believe.

And theres alot of of instructional material out there to get you started I used to have some of the VHS tapes dennis made.

Dieckman
Hightower https://www.cuesmith.com/books-video.html
Unique http://www.uniqueinc.com/videos___software
Prather http://www.prathercue.com/cue_building_ ... anual.html
Arnot (I think, I read something about him doing classes?)
cue comp. http://www.cuecomponents.com/cuebuco1.html

Those are all the resources off the top of my head.

I had 1st three I listed but a large part of the fun to me, is figuring it out for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:56 pm 

Marley Cues wrote:
Dennis Dieckman also has a school I believe.

There's another factor...does the individual who has a school know how to promote and market it?? How does the word get out? And how many have attended.

And theres alot of of instructional material out there to get you started I used to have some of the VHS tapes dennis made.

Dieckman
Hightower https://www.cuesmith.com/books-video.html
Unique http://www.uniqueinc.com/videos___software
Prather http://www.prathercue.com/cue_building_ ... anual.html
Arnot (I think, I read something about him doing classes?)
cue comp. http://www.cuecomponents.com/cuebuco1.html

IMO, the above is grade school stuff with the exception of Dieckman but nobody seems to know much about his school or whether he's actively doing it.

Those are all the resources off the top of my head.

I had 1st three I listed but a large part of the fun to me, is figuring it out for yourself.

I understand fun, believe me. But isn't it also a business to maximize income and profit? Let's say the school does cost $3,000 (hell, make it $5,000 for that matter) and a BIG NAME WELL KNOWN CUEMAKER taught his tricks that had is cues selling in the 5 figure range from $10k - $50k and it allowed the student to up his knowledge and skill level to sell $5k cues...one cue at that price pays for the school and the rest over and above the first cue puts him in a different class and league.

Might be more fun counting all the money in the bank. Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm 

Schools all over the world teach business and marketing. Two to four years to learn. Why would anyone go to a cue maker to learn those?

Most cue maker schools, I have heard of, are for basic cue construction. In a fully set up shop. Then four years to learn marketing. Four years of art school to build interesting cues. Four years to get your shop set up. Four years learning to deal with pool players. Then the eduction may be complete!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:36 pm 

63Kcode wrote:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

All kidding aside, Paul Drexler will spend a few weeks helping someone learn to build cues. Not sure the current price or even if he will still do it.

Larry

In person at his shop or over the phone? Did you know the "going price" when he did and was it more of a secret than an open offer? Btw...this isn't for me or anyone I know. I wouldn't want to MAKE a cue in this lifetime or the next 3 lifetimes. Back when I was in high school we had to take 2 years of wood shop and it wasn't optional. I made some terribly shitty looking lamps, wall plaques, and other stuff. I don't have the eye, talent, patience, or desire.

I'm just looking at all the stuff available to all others outside of cuemaking with schools/seminars and how they thrive...some mega financially successful for conducting them and helping serious students to become mega successful in their field or endeavor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 pm 

63Kcode wrote:
Schools all over the world teach business and marketing. Two to four years to learn. Why would anyone go to a cue maker to learn those?

How many cuemakers have degrees in business and marketing.

Most cue maker schools, I have heard of, are for basic cue construction. In a fully set up shop. Then four years to learn marketing. Four years of art school to build interesting cues. Four years to get your shop set up. Four years learning to deal with pool players. Then the eduction may be complete!

Larry

Too many years. That's why going to a BIG NAME CUEMAKER could chop that time in half or maybe 3/4 the time...IF he was retired himself from making cues and wanted a supplemental income as well as teach others.

Would YOU pay $3 to $5k to learn from Thomas Wayne...Joel Hercek...(fill in the blanks with any other big name you wish)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:40 pm 

Joe at Cue Components has a page on their site advertising their cue college...for $5500 for 7 days. The page hasn't changed in the last 5 years or so.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:42 pm 

wyattearp wrote:
63Kcode wrote:

How many cuemakers have degrees in business and marketing.

Larry

Too many years. That's why going to a BIG NAME CUEMAKER could chop that time in half or maybe 3/4 the time...IF he was retired himself from making cues and wanted a supplemental income as well as teach others.

Would YOU pay $3 to $5k to learn from Thomas Wayne...Joel Hercek...(fill in the blanks with any other big name you wish)

The equipment would cost a ton more. Who has the capital to start my out like that?
Frankly, if someone had that kind of money ( like Lucky ) , he's better off sticking to what made him rich.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:38 pm 

Honestly I would very much like to spend my vacation time studying how other professional makers on this site build cues like Dave B., Murray, TW, Dickie, hell I would like to hang out with all of them as im sure I could learn something from them all.

At the same time I feel like you need to learn stuff on your own before you go study under someone else or alot of knowledge will go strait over your head and be wasted.

for instance I recently got a new job running 8 axis swiss Mill Turn machines, today I ran 5 at a time im currently making parts for savage firearms theres no way I could have just walked through the door and been able to learn this without previous knowledge I would have been so lost for a long time.

Also I dont think its feasible that just because you were taught by a master for a couple weeks, and can buy a shop that you could come out the gate asking for 5k for a cue. You have to pay your dues start small and let the cues speak for themselves.

In Minnesota here are some of the requirements. I dont think many cue makers want a apprentice for that long or can afford to pay them.
Many of the highly skilled occupations learned through
apprenticeship training range from one to five years in length,
in conjunction with 144 hours of related technical instruction
each year. In Minnesota, an occupation may become
apprenticeable if the occupation requires at least 2,000 hours
of hands-on training to learn essential skills. However, most
programs are from 6,000 to 8,000 hours in length.

http://www.dli.mn.gov/APPR/PDF/apprempguide.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm 

wyattearp wrote:

How many cuemakers have degrees in business and marketing. )

Apparently not enough! Just read AZ.

Honestly I spent about 40 hours in Paul Drexlers shop. He taught me basic cue construction. Had I spent the time to learn marketing and design. My cues would have to much Paul in it for me. Best example I can think of would be Volmer. Every Volmer cue I see, my first thought is nice BB. After reading the description, my thoughts are, nice BB by Volmer.

I think we are on the same page though. Had I not spent 40 hours in Pauls shop my cues would be lifetimes behind where they are, not years.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:36 pm 

wyattearp wrote:

Think my post about years to get a full education in cue building totaled around 16. If cut in half would be 8. Don't know what the time I spent with Paul cost.( I was a guest of a friend of a friend of Paul. Something I will be forever grateful for! ) don't think I could ever recover the cost of 8 years with Paul.

Mr. Wayne has posted he would teach and tool up someone for $100,000. From what I have heard, Mr. Hercek won't let you in his shop if you are looking to build cues.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm 

Dave38 wrote:
Joe at Cue Components has a page on their site advertising their cue college...for $5500 for 7 days. The page hasn't changed in the last 5 years or so.
Dave

Arnot had an offering too.
I heard about a $30,000 nightmare about an infamous maker in Texas who charged that much to teach someone . The sucker ended up driving for him for a week and got one lathe.
Paul Cassanova paid to get taught by Judd and he made some nice cues. He was a multi-millionaire who just loved cue and wanted to make some.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 pm 

63Kcode wrote:
wyattearp wrote:
[color=#FF0000]
Mr. Wayne has posted he would teach and tool up someone for $100,000.
Larry

That's like STEALING if ya have the cheddar! 8)

P.S. Straight up ROBBERY! I don't know ANY other way to say it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:05 pm 

Ted Harris wrote:
63Kcode wrote:
wyattearp wrote:
[color=#FF0000]
Mr. Wayne has posted he would teach and tool up someone for $100,000.
Larry

That's like STEALING if ya have the cheddar! 8)

P.S. Straight up ROBBERY! I don't know ANY other way to say it!

Teddy,

How long you known me?

Before you go bandying around terms like "stealing" and "robbery" in connection with MY name, why don't you get your "quote" straightened out enough so I can actually track down whomever posted that "$100,000" bullshit statement. Then I can go tear THAT lying cocksucker a new asshole... instead of thinking ill of you.

TW