RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing playing cue
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:29 am 

Over the years my opinion was that changing cues was not a good thing. I thought that using the same cue allowed me to be more consistent. I spent many years playing with a Falcon, then many years playing with my Lambros, and for the last few years a 60" Mark Bear cue (I like the extra reach it gives me and also plays really well imo).

Lately I have seen some interesting results when using different cues .... to get me out of a bit of a slump. I've been rattling balls, missing by several inches, and shooting balls that have made me say "what the fork was that ?". I know it's me, not the Bear cue, but switching cues is making a difference. Specifically I have seen better play with my new TCW sneaky. It has great balance and feels good to stroke (no snide comments please :twisted: :lol: ). And the balls go in and the cue ball goes where it is supposed to go. I suspect the difference is in my head, perhaps more concentration due to increased stroke awareness as a result of a different feel. So now I may be a playing-cue-flipper :P

Funny how opinions / attitudes change.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Changing playing cue
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:43 am 

Switching cues all the time screws me up, but I keep doing it.

I find that the first couple sessions are vastly improved with a new cue due to focusing more in fundamentals. After the "new cue smell" wears off, you miss for different reasons. More or less spin, throw, and what not.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 pm 

davek wrote:

Dave

I think that's called growth!

Larry

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:39 pm 

I would always practice with both of my shafts just so I knew what each shaft could do. Do the same shots, etc, and mark the results. Never wanted to get jammed in a tournament if I had to change shafts.

I have two cues I play with. And they do play differently, but very comfortably. Thanks to both my Cue Men!! :)

Barbara

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:58 pm 

.............. .....

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 am 

davek wrote:
Over the years my opinion was that changing cues was not a good thing. I thought that using the same cue allowed me to be more consistent.

Yes, you are correct. Consistently bad does count as consistent. :lol:

I spent many years playing with a Falcon, then many years playing with my Lambros, and for the last few years a 60" Mark Bear cue (I like the extra reach it gives me and also plays really well imo).

Too many years and too few cues.

Lately I have seen some interesting results when using different cues .... to get me out of a bit of a slump. I've been rattling balls, missing by several inches, and shooting balls that have made me say "what the fork was that ?". I know it's me, not the Bear cue, but switching cues is making a difference. Specifically I have seen better play with my new TCW sneaky. It has great balance and feels good to stroke (no snide comments please :twisted: :lol: ). And the balls go in and the cue ball goes where it is supposed to go.

There is more to the arrow than just the Indian as most drunken Indians want to think. I have 12 different handguns with the same Indian shooting them using identical form, technique, eyes, breathing, trigger control, etc., which would be ME and I can tell you for a fact that the accuracy rate varies among them due to the feel and reaction in my hand even though I practice a lot with each.

I have over 20 pool cues and it's the same result as the guns. Same guy who has been playing pool for 54 years but different results with different cues or weights and shafts on those cues.

I suspect the difference is in my head, perhaps more concentration due to increased stroke awareness as a result of a different feel.

There you go...claiming it's the Indian vs. the arrow again. NO!! ARROWS (and cues) MATTER!!

So now I may be a playing-cue-flipper :P

Nothing wrong with that. You need more cues.

It took you long enough to figure it out. May I suggest an Esoteric cue.

Dave

The next thing to experiment with is the WEIGHT of the cue. That will really blow your mind as to how it will affect your accuracy and feel for speed. You can purchase a Cuetec R360 for next to nothing or a plain jane Joss and then purchase a bunch of weight bolts separately to take those things anywhere from under 18 oz. to over 21 ounces and all weights in between.

You can have ONE CUE but in essence have 20 or more different FEELING/PERFORMING cues. Arrows make a difference.