RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am 

Warning: Pool Topic

So I used to swear by this tip. My previous one was the best tip I have ever played with. I recently needed a change last month and had a new one put on, from the same guy (my normal repair guy) who has done every tip for me except the ones from the cuemaker. Dude is very reliable and Im making this point so his methods arent in question, not that they would be based on what I describe this tip doing.

So last month after the expo I went and had a new Super Soft put on. The tip hit loose... didnt have to normal thud type sound. Felt and sounded loose. I went back and had it chopped off. We thought it might have been the carbon fiber pad so we chopped that off too.

So we went with a Kamui Black CLEAR Super Soft since they have a pad built right into them. It played well. No real complaints, even won a local 32 player tournament with it. It felt different but I was able to adjust to it, now last night I get to the poolhall and start setting up some long straight ins which is how I normally warm up. Third ball I hit, the tip pops off, so I go back to the pro shop. Cue guy states that its not the first time he seen clears pop off. Thinks it might be an issue with the glue and the clear pad.

This time we try a Kamui Black Super Soft (not clear) without a pad. Just tip right to wood (I do not use ferrules). Cue guy clues it on and I start hitting balls with it. First ball I hit, that loose sound again that i got with the previous Black Super Soft but this time it's worse. Also this time there is no carbon Fiber pad there so the issue must be with the tip itself. Cue guy hits with it and hears and feels the looseness as well. Looks at the tip with his thumb. With a slight push the thing start spreading apart like a fucking slinky. Now I have used Black Super Softs since the year they came out (about 8 years now I think) and I have never seen one do that or feel that way, let alone 2 in the last month.

So in the end we put the CF pad back on and went with a Kamui Black Soft instead of Super Soft. It is playing very very well so far.

TL:DR for Tip Changes

1. A month ago had a Kamui Black Super Soft and new CF Pad put on. Tip felt and sounded loose. Had it cut off.
2. Put Kamui Black Clear Super Soft on with no pad since the pad was built into the tip. It popped off last night after shooting with it everyday for 3 weeks straight.
3. Put on a Black Super Soft. Tip hits very loose and feels awful. Cue guy was able to seperate the layers just by pushing it with his thumb after it was put on.
4. Put on a Black Soft with a Fiber pad. Tip hits well so far.

Anyone else seen anything weird with Kamui Tips recently? I know some people hate them for whatever reasons. Up until a month ago I would swear by them.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:58 am 

I have never used a Kamui Soft or Super Soft, but I did just install a Kamui Medium, a couple of months back.. No issues.

I have seen some of the same separation issues that you've mentioned, on a variety of other tips. Generally, the tips were exposed to some sort of moisture, through high humidity. I had 2 different tips, within a 1 month period, that both did the accordion-like separation. I later decided that it was a bad idea to store my case in my car, while I was at work (85 degree, sunny days).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:39 pm 

How sure are you that the problem tips were genuine Kamui? Reports suggest there are quite a few counterfeits out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:26 am 

Greg Berger wrote:
How sure are you that the problem tips were genuine Kamui? Reports suggest there are quite a few counterfeits out there.

I'm with Greg on this one. I recently got some tips and the price IMO was too good, I assume they were fakes, yet they looked right and I had one put on and it plays great. I am not a label whore, I just want a good tip, this tip fake or not plays really good. I've only played with 2 Kamui clear tips, both installed by Ryan and both play great and have held up for years now. I also believe that Kamui stands behind their tips, also they would know if they were fakes, you should have the repairman send them back and find out.

Jim <----God I miss the old Mori M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:35 am 

I would assume they are not fakes as the shop has a big reputation around here and neighboring states. Not to mention they weren't cheap.

Yesterday I started noticing a problem with the latest tip. It too is hitting loose. The tip itself feels solid. I think it has something to do with the glue that is being used I'm contact with the wood. I'm probably one of the few people that goes in there with ferruleless shafts. I'm going to the cue maker today to get him to do a tip for me instead since he made the shafts and I didn't have a problem until that pad between the tip and the wood fell off.

Jim, Ryan does great work I agree, but your tips last year's because you don't play with them.

The Kamui blacks normally last me 5 to 6 months (which is great for me) but I play almost every day for at least an hour.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:06 pm 

I didn't mean to imply that the repair guy was passing off fakes, it's possible he got them second hand and believes they are real. Also there could be an issue with defective legit tips, but I'd assume with the volume of work down there that someone else would have had the same trouble.

Or

You could be right on with the ferruless issue, could cause some issues that this guy isn't aware of yet. I have a ferruless shaft as well with a G2 M on it and no issues, I don't know if anything special was done on the install.

Now with the thought that we don't play the same amount you are correct, but I don't break with my cue hard, and I don't scuff or shape my tip a lot. When I was playing 3 hours a night 5-6 days a week I didn't change tips but maybe every 18 months and I was playing with 1 cue exclusively. I guess some of us just have a better stroke.

Jim<------- better stroke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 am 

UPDATE.

Took it back to the cuemaker. It has to be a problem with the shaft. He put a new pad on it and a new tip (I verified the authenticity as well, they are legit) and the same loose and hollow sound is occuring. Ive been using it for 3 years now and it is thinner then when it started just from regular cleanings and stuff. I think I'm done with the ferrule-less if I'm going to have issues like this in the future even if I start using the un-hit one I have. I have wasted too much time and money on this issue.

Hit balls a bit today with one of the ivory ferrule shafts. Feels good of course and wont take to long to adjust back.

Heath<----really liked how the ferruleless shafts played but doesnt want the anxiety, wasted time and wasted money anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:00 pm 

I have a ferruleless shaft with a black fiber pad and a G2 Medium, the play is fabulous. I installed the G2 myself , no issues yet.

Make sure it is the good Loctite, not the extra control stuff.

Also make sure everything is faced up dead nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:36 am 

[quote="Icon of Sin"]Warning: Pool Topic

So we went with a Kamui Black CLEAR Super Soft since they have a pad built right into them. It played well. No real complaints, even won a local 32 player tournament with it. It felt different but I was able to adjust to it, now last night I get to the poolhall and start setting up some long straight ins which is how I normally warm up. Third ball I hit, the tip pops off, so I go back to the pro shop. Cue guy states that its not the first time he seen clears pop off. Thinks it might be an issue with the glue and the clear pad.

When you say the tip popped off, did it de laminate between the tip and their clear tip pad, or did it fail between the clear pad and the ferrule ?
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:47 am 

conetip wrote:

When you say the tip popped off, did it de laminate between the tip and their clear tip pad, or did it fail between the clear pad and the ferrule ?
Neil

The time the tip popped off, it was when I was using a Kamui Clear without a pad between the tip and the shaft. The tip came clean off the shaft, clear pad and everything. It did not de-laminate.

I dont believe this to be a tip issue now. I know for a fact the tips are authentic. There was one bad tip in the 4 that I have tried, that was the Kamui Black Super Soft that de-laminated right after being put on. Just spread apart like an accordion. I'm sure that was just an anomaly. I have been using that model tip for years and have never seen that.

The loose/hollow sound hit has to be a shaft issue at this point. Multiple tips later, with and without fiber pads and one even being put on by the cuemaker himself as the same issue.

Icon of Sin wrote:
Hit balls a bit today with one of the ivory ferrule shafts. Feels good of course and wont take to long to adjust back.

Changed my mind, I like the ferruleless too damn much to give up on it.

Tonight I'm going to get a Kamui put on the un-hit shaft and I'm sure that one will hit OK. On Wednesday Im going to my cue-makers place and let him hear and feel the differences in both and hopefully get a new shaft made whether I have to pay for it or not.

This has been a long and frustrating process and it's driving me insane especially when the tip that originally needed to be replaced was probably the best and most consistent tip I have ever shot with. I'm ready for this to be over, but with a new shaft needing to be made, I'm looking at weeks without my cue still... god-fucking-damnit... I'm a headcase over this shit.

Heath<---------is losing sleep at night over this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 pm 

I know you took a shot at my table time and it was well deserved and right on the mark. But seriously WTF do you do to your tips? Are you scuffing and shaping a lot? Honestly I've logged many hours with tips and never needed to replace them, fuck when a tip gets good I wouldn't change it for nothing. I even have about 30-40% taken off on the new tips when installed. I just can't imagine what you are doing to wear out the tip?????

Jim<----- easily gets a year out of a tip and with my table time now I probably have lifetime tips

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:29 pm 

Another Update:

I had the un-hit shaft changed to the Kamui Soft tip just like the shaft I am having problems. Sure enough, the un-hit shaft hits and sounds perfect. Doesnt sound or feel loose. Has the nice satisfying solid "THUNK" sound.

So I'm going to cuemakers on Wednesday. I made a video so you can hear the difference in the hit. I have to upload it still to youtube.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:29 am 

JimBo wrote:
I know you took a shot at my table time and it was well deserved and right on the mark. But seriously WTF do you do to your tips? Are you scuffing and shaping a lot? Honestly I've logged many hours with tips and never needed to replace them, fuck when a tip gets good I wouldn't change it for nothing. I even have about 30-40% taken off on the new tips when installed. I just can't imagine what you are doing to wear out the tip?????

Jim<----- easily gets a year out of a tip and with my table time now I probably have lifetime tips

Jim,

I play everyday for at least an hour. On rare occasion do I miss a day. Wednesdays normally 4 hours of of shooting, not sitting around at a league. I go to the poolhall and get on the tight table and play for about 4 hours every Wednesday by myself Sometimes I will get into something cheap if I feel like I am playing well. I shoot in a tournament every Saturday as well as shoot at home for about an hour before leaving for it. I rarely scuff my tips. The Kamui's hold a good shape for a long time and dont glaze that much.

Heath<----fuck him for liking the game and wanting to get better at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:48 am 

Yeah I get it all and as I've already said I used to play 4-5 hours a night (PLAY) 5-6 nights a week. I played with a Mori M and didn't need a new tip for a year +.
You aren't the first guy who plays a lot, my question is what are you doing to wear out the tip so fast?? IMO needing new tips every few months is a sign of something, I am not sure what, maybe scuffing a lot, maybe sandpaper, maybe rough chalk, I have no clue. But I do know I never mis cue, I don't break hard with my cue and I chalk about 95% of the time.

Jim <---Just because he doesn't play a lot now doesn't mean he never played a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:55 am 

JimBo wrote:
Yeah I get it all and as I've already said I used to play 4-5 hours a night (PLAY) 5-6 nights a week. I played with a Mori M and didn't need a new tip for a year +.
You aren't the first guy who plays a lot, my question is what are you doing to wear out the tip so fast?? IMO needing new tips every few months is a sign of something, I am not sure what, maybe scuffing a lot, maybe sandpaper, maybe rough chalk, I have no clue. But I do know I never mis cue, I don't break hard with my cue and I chalk about 95% of the time.

Jim <---Just because he doesn't play a lot now doesn't mean he never played a lot.

May just be mental. Some guys love fresh tips. Fuck it. If you love the game, what's $100 a year on tips? I don't care for Kamuis but picked up a cue with barely 2 layers left... hit the ball super sweet.