pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cork Wrap Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am 

So I had a cork wrap put on my cue a while ago at the SBE. The wrap is rubberized cork, like in the attached example (not my cue - just an image from the web).

http://www.diveneycue.com/wp-content...4/DSCN0204.jpg

Somehow it is now coming slightly off - I suppose a cue repairman could re-glue it.

However, before getting that done, I wondered if anyone could compare the rubberized cork to full cork, as appears to be in the attached link:

https://www.seyberts.com/leather-wra...pool-cue-wrap/

Post subject: Re: Cork Wrap Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 pm 

First, I'm offended that you would link some other repair site rather than one of us that post here.

Second, rubberized cork feels cold, dead, and hard. Genuine cork is soft and warm, like a hug from a teddy bear.

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:32 pm 

ratcues wrote:
First, I'm offended that you would link some other repair site rather than one of us that post here.

Second, rubberized cork feels cold, dead, and hard. Genuine cork is soft and warm, like a hug from a teddy bear.

Hi Ryan,

First, I hope you are only mock offended, and not actually offended. If Mueller's sells actually cork wraps I couldn't find it on the website. And I was linking Seyberts as a vendor of wraps, not a repair place (I have bought stuff from them before, never used them for repairs). If you are talking about Pat's site, I just picked it because he had a picture of a rubberized cork wrap on one of his cues that was a big enough pic that you could see it properly.

Also, as an aside, when I decided to try a cork wrap, at the SBE two or three years ago, I approached you first but you didn't have any - so I got someone else to do it (and ended up with rubberized cork - I guess that'll learn me).

Second, thanks for the answer to the question. I like the rubberized cork more than the Irish linen I had before, but didn't have any feedback on real cork. I appreciate your insight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 am 

I'm just messing with you. But, there is no comparison between the rubberized and genuine cork. The first question I get regarding genuine cork is durability. It can get hit and chip out but that is not the fault of the wrap.

-It absorbs sweat unlike the rubberized cork.
-It can be cleaned.
-Chips can be repaired.

If you want to try it, I'd be more than happy to install it.

Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 pm 

If I had to have a wrap, it would be cork. I prefer wrapless, but I've had a cork wrap from Ryan and it was the most comfortable wrap I've ever held.

Delicious meats:
Kurzweil's Country Meats

Blogs:
MassiveUnderstatement: Billiards and Food

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:29 am 

ratcues wrote:
I'm just messing with you. But, there is no comparison between the rubberized and genuine cork. The first question I get regarding genuine cork is durability. It can get hit and chip out but that is not the fault of the wrap.

-It absorbs sweat unlike the rubberized cork.
-It can be cleaned.
-Chips can be repaired.

If you want to try it, I'd be more than happy to install it.

Check your PMs.