pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 1674
...and I hate it.

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole. I figured "when in rome.." I've watched a lot of the game at high level and low level and I am good with most of the strategy, still learning moves and how to execute them properly. One thing I such at is cross banking and avoiding the double hit. Played a set last night and I must have had double shits at least 10 times during the set. It's something I dont have much experience with it in 9ball because it doesnt come up often and when it does pop up it's normally only for 1 shot (the 2 way where you play it short and leave the OB on the end rail and the CB at the opposite end).

I know a lot of people swear by the game. Ive had a few good runs in it. So far I've found it to be a bit monotonous, not really enjoyable/fun, but I also dont feel like I've done anything "amazing" in the game to give me that "itch" to play it yet.

_________________
-H

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:49 pm
Posts: 1001
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Icon of Sin wrote:
...and I hate it.

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole. I figured "when in rome.." I've watched a lot of the game at high level and low level and I am good with most of the strategy, still learning moves and how to execute them properly. One thing I such at is cross banking and avoiding the double hit. Played a set last night and I must have had double shits at least 10 times during the set. It's something I dont have much experience with it in 9ball because it doesnt come up often and when it does pop up it's normally only for 1 shot (the 2 way where you play it short and leave the OB on the end rail and the CB at the opposite end).

I know a lot of people swear by the game. Ive had a few good runs in it. So far I've found it to be a bit monotonous, not really enjoyable/fun, but I also dont feel like I've done anything "amazing" in the game to give me that "itch" to play it yet.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caeXiPhFlss&sns=em

The information is obviously from Bob Jewett, and Bob is shooting. It's the advanced discussion on how old school one holers would say, "if you can shoot the cue ball straight in, the kiss is on." This video does a much better job than that not-quite-right saying.

The critical parameter is where the two balls line up. Above the critical point, use inside if anything. Below the critical point, use outside if anything. On the critical point, the kiss is on.

Freddie

_________________
---------------------

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero


Last edited by Cornerman on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am
Posts: 1554
Freddie beat me to it on the old "if you can see the pocket" rule, so I'll offer two other pieces of advice. Beg, borrow, buy, or steal a copy of Eddie Robin's Winning One-Pocket, and also see if you can find the Willie Jopling tapes (maybe now in dvd?) on one-pocket.

If you really like one-pocket, few things can be more enlightening than taking the Robin book into a pool hall on a slow, lazy afternoon and practicing some of the many, many dozens of shots and strategies taught in the very-well written AND illustrated volume.

TW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 848
Location: SW Ohio
IMO, to enjoy 1P to it's fullest, you must take pride in the execution of every shot. Every little safety, every move, every shot. You must strive to not only get behind a ball, but to get frozen to it. And if you don't execute perfectly, then you have work to do.

I have seen so many rotation game players say the exact thing you are saying, only to turn into exclusive One Pocket players months later after they start playing the game.

Like Cornbread Red said (I'm pretty sure it was him)... One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure...

_________________
Jamie
BANNED

ratcues wrote:
There are so many things in the world that inspire cue art. Another cue doesn't need to be one of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am
Posts: 4476
Worminator wrote:

Like Cornbread Red said (I'm pretty sure it was him)... One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure...


Yep, it's an epidemic alright...NARCOLEPSY!!



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am
Posts: 4476
Icon of Sin wrote:
...and I hate it.

You aren't the only one!

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole.


playing 1 hole = AHOLE amateur who can't run multiple racks in any kind of pocketing game such as 8ball, 9ball, 6ball, 7ball, 10ball, 14.1, and my FAVORITE game - AMERICAN ROTATION. (other than PRO PLAYERS)

Nothing better than seeing and hearing balls going into the pockets one after the other and running racks to keep the opponent's ass GLUED to his seat instead of bouncing up and down like two yo-yo's!

FUCK 1 POCKET!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 4746
wyattearp wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:
...and I hate it.

You aren't the only one!

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole.


playing 1 hole = AHOLE amateur who can't run multiple racks in any kind of pocketing game such as 8ball, 9ball, 6ball, 7ball, 10ball, 14.1, and my FAVORITE game - AMERICAN ROTATION. (other than PRO PLAYERS)

Nothing better than seeing and hearing balls going into the pockets one after the other and running racks to keep the opponent's ass GLUED to his seat instead of bouncing up and down like two yo-yo's!

FUCK 1 POCKET!!!

Ouch!
I take it you're not buying the JB vs Lou II ppv?

_________________
Happy 4th.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 1674
wyattearp wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:
...and I hate it.

You aren't the only one!

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole.


playing 1 hole = AHOLE amateur who can't run multiple racks in any kind of pocketing game such as 8ball, 9ball, 6ball, 7ball, 10ball, 14.1, and my FAVORITE game - AMERICAN ROTATION. (other than PRO PLAYERS)

Nothing better than seeing and hearing balls going into the pockets one after the other and running racks to keep the opponent's ass GLUED to his seat instead of bouncing up and down like two yo-yo's!

FUCK 1 POCKET!!!

Yes! You get it! Of all the 1hole players in my room there are like 3 or 4 that play other games well. Ive said multiple times that 1 hole is a game for people the cant play 9 ball.

It's crazy. I just started learning to play it and I am drilling some of these guys that play only that. They have shit shotmaking and no sense of advanced position play. I'm literally out shooting them in 1 pocket which isnt supposed the way to win and I'm doing it in my current slump that I mentioned in my other thread. So I figured I should start learning the moves (and cross banks LOL) and actually figure the game out some.

Maybe I will enjoy it more later on. I dont see that happening. Im not giving up on it at all. Just not really getting much enjoyment out of learning it like I did 9ball.

_________________
-H

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:39 pm
Posts: 1674
JoeyInCali wrote:
wyattearp wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:
...and I hate it.

You aren't the only one!

90 percent of my pool hall plays 1 hole.


playing 1 hole = AHOLE amateur who can't run multiple racks in any kind of pocketing game such as 8ball, 9ball, 6ball, 7ball, 10ball, 14.1, and my FAVORITE game - AMERICAN ROTATION. (other than PRO PLAYERS)

Nothing better than seeing and hearing balls going into the pockets one after the other and running racks to keep the opponent's ass GLUED to his seat instead of bouncing up and down like two yo-yo's!

FUCK 1 POCKET!!!

Ouch!
I take it you're not buying the JB vs Lou II ppv?

I will be streaming the World Paint Drying Championship from my phone during my root canal.

2 high level pros, there is a chance I'd tune in. John and Lou, just no. I dont want to spend a chunk of the day watching that.

_________________
-H

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:49 pm
Posts: 1001
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Icon of Sin wrote:
I will be streaming the World Paint Drying Championship from my phone during my root canal.

2 high level pros, there is a chance I'd tune in. John and Lou, just no. I dont want to spend a chunk of the day watching that.

And then there's me . My whole schedule going to the Derby City Classi is based on catching the one pocket finals. And whenever John and Lou get it on again, I'll fly to watch it live

And I don't play the game. Though I had an 8-out my first Derby City 1-hole match 10 years ago . But real players at the game smoke me.

_________________
---------------------

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am
Posts: 4476
Cornerman wrote:
And then there's me . My whole schedule going to the Derby City Classi is based on catching the one pocket finals.

That's because you're an old man now. You would never have done it in your youth.

And whenever John and Lou get it on again, I'll fly to watch it live

I would too if Lou was playing with all of his own money. But he's too much of a chicken shit heartless nit to even consider the disastrous outcome if he lost...and he would.

And I don't play the game.

I guess you aren't admitting that you are an old man yet. That's OK, you're already taking the first steps at the DCC. :lol:

Though I had an 8-out my first Derby City 1-hole match 10 years ago . But real players at the game smoke me.


Where's that competitive spirit, Fred? Just put a bunch of molasses, honey, and chewed bubble gum on the soles of your shoes to slow you down in order to give yourself more time to think the shots through.

Hmmm...that might be a way to make money at one pocket. Start the molasses, honey, and chewed bubble gum concession for players. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 am
Posts: 532
One pocket is by far my favorite game. You need good foundations in 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, 3 cushion and banks in order to play it at a high level. And even then you still need to learn the moves of the game. It's also the most mentally creative and challenging game there is. Why? Because on almost every shot you are shooting 2 and 3 way shots. It's too bad you're having a tough time enjoying it. To me I feel like I'm playing chess while other are playing 9 ball "checkers".

-Bogey

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:25 am
Posts: 6521
Location: CT
BOGEY54311 wrote:
One pocket is by far my favorite game. You need good foundations in 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, 3 cushion and banks in order to play it at a high level. And even then you still need to learn the moves of the game. It's also the most mentally creative and challenging game there is. Why? Because on almost every shot you are shooting 2 and 3 way shots. It's too bad you're having a tough time enjoying it. To me I feel like I'm playing chess while other are playing 9 ball "checkers".

-Bogey


I'm on board with Chris, it's not as fast paced but the thinking and 2 way shot aspect is really interesting to me, to me 9 or 10 ball is boring the table is laid out for you, when you shoot the 1 you know your next shot is the 2, there is very little imagination and creativity involved. Even 8-ball involves more thinking, although most players will say that 8 ball is an easier game, I would say they lack the brains to understand the options presented.

I would also agree that lots of people who suck at pocketing balls (me included) will pretend to be 1 hole specialists, I know these guys and they amuse me as well.
But 1 hole when played the "right way" are really fun to watch. One of my favorites is Alex, try watching some of his matches. Of course Efren is the best, but his style often involves things that I can't see and have zero shot of ever executing. You might enjoy the more offensive style of some of the younger players of today, it's a lot more exciting, but not "the right way" IMO, I love the moving and safes.

Jim <------Fan of good pool no matter the game

_________________
I am in a very very small group of people that can buy any cue they want that can make that statement.
Congrats,
Nick Serdula


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 767
Location: !! fvckin NIT !!
In Bangkok, recently, more people are interested and playing one pocket. Stuart Pettman told me it's his favorite pool game and some good players (mostly from UK/Europe) are picking up the game (Pinoys have yet to show any interest as there isn't heavy wagering in one pocket yet).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am
Posts: 4476
JimBo wrote:

I'm on board with Chris, it's not as fast paced but the thinking and 2 way shot aspect is really interesting to me, to me 9 or 10 ball is boring the table is laid out for you, when you shoot the 1 you know your next shot is the 2, there is very little imagination and creativity involved.

Seriously? What this tells me is somebody who does nothing more than go from one ball to the next with absolutely no forethought and planning for speed, position, angles, and spin to work all the way around an ENTIRE rack...or at least 1/2 the rack at a time BEFORE TAKING THE FIRST SHOT. Otherwise the first shot could be the LAST shot unless playing an equally thoughtless and inaccurate shooter. Then you're right...it's going from one ball to the next because that's the level at which the game is played.

Pro players and amateurs play entirely different games and for pros it includes all of the above.


Even 8-ball involves more thinking, although most players will say that 8 ball is an easier game, I would say they lack the brains to understand the options presented.

Both 8 ball and rotation games require thinking. 8 ball has it's own tough areas because all 15 balls are on the table creating clusters and congestion. Rotation games require considerable thought from the break and very first shot because IF you don't think the entire table out properly, it could be the last time you have a chance to shoot.

I would also agree that lots of people who suck at pocketing balls (me included) will pretend to be 1 hole specialists, I know these guys and they amuse me as well.

I think those who suck at pocketing balls play one pocket because they feel there's at least a chance of winning.
Or give them the opportunity to get more time at the table knocking balls around instead of being a spectator having no fun racking balls after each game.


But 1 hole when played the "right way" are really fun to watch.

I agree, up to a certain point. Then boredom can take over with that also.

One of my favorites is Alex, try watching some of his matches. Of course Efren is the best, but his style often involves things that I can't see and have zero shot of ever executing. You might enjoy the more offensive style of some of the younger players of today, it's a lot more exciting, but not "the right way" IMO, I love the moving and safes.

Jim <------Fan of good pool no matter the game


Fan as a spectator or player?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group