pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:13 pm 

ThomasWayne wrote:
Freddie beat me to it on the old "if you can see the pocket" rule, so I'll offer two other pieces of advice. Beg, borrow, buy, or steal a copy of Eddie Robin's Winning One-Pocket, and also see if you can find the Willie Jopling tapes (maybe now in dvd?) on one-pocket.

The Willie Jopling DVD is available on bankingwiththebeard.com for $50.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:38 am 

wyattearp wrote:
JimBo wrote:

I'm on board with Chris, it's not as fast paced but the thinking and 2 way shot aspect is really interesting to me, to me 9 or 10 ball is boring the table is laid out for you, when you shoot the 1 you know your next shot is the 2, there is very little imagination and creativity involved.

Seriously? What this tells me is somebody who does nothing more than go from one ball to the next with absolutely no forethought and planning for speed, position, angles, and spin to work all the way around an ENTIRE rack...or at least 1/2 the rack at a time BEFORE TAKING THE FIRST SHOT. Otherwise the first shot could be the LAST shot unless playing an equally thoughtless and inaccurate shooter. Then you're right...it's going from one ball to the next because that's the level at which the game is played.

Pro players and amateurs play entirely different games and for pros it includes all of the above.

This is my point. When you're watching pro's play 9 ball, even a C level can see the pattern of the balls being run. He might not be able to do it, but that's how trivial it is.
Then you watch Efren playing with Danny DiLiberto commentating. Danny has seen it all, but sometimes can't even see the next shot Efren is coming with because he's so creative.
To the beginner one pocket player it feels like bunting and pushing balls around. To me, I feel like a surgeon, as well as an artist with the balls. It's very intense when you love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:47 am 

BOGEY54311 wrote:
To the beginner one pocket player it feels like bunting and pushing balls around. To me, I feel like a surgeon, as well as an artist with the balls. It's very intense when you love it.

I guess love can be just as intense with an ugly beastly woman as it can with a gorgeous one...it's all in the individual perspective. Being a graffiti artist with a spray paint can would be my desires for artistry with one pocket.

When I have begrudgingly played one pocket I also felt like a surgeon...a combination of a colorectal surgeon and a neurosurgeon who wanted to perform self surgery with a lobotomy for getting involved in playing it and to make sure I never did it again, followed up with chronic hemorrhoid surgery for the massive pain in my ass.

Maybe one pocket would be more tolerable for me if there was either a two move limit per player before being forced to shoot a ball at or into his pocket and then open it back up for either multiple shots into the pocket or another two move safety before being forced to fire at an object pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:55 am 

BOGEY54311 wrote:

This is my point. When you're watching pro's play 9 ball, even a C level can see the pattern of the balls being run. He might not be able to do it, but that's how trivial it is.

I dont know... You call it trivial, but seeing the pattern and actually doing it are 2 different things, and there is waaaaaay more to 9ball (as you know as you are a damn good player) then just seeing the pattern.

What about the 2 way shots in 9 ball? Not easy by any sense of the word. Packages. Keeping your opponent in the chair. Having to play 4 rail position to perfect spot. Making that insane full table shot with a massive stroke to get back down on the same end of the table you are shooting from for the next ball (rather then just lagging it up to your hole).

I played 1 hole again last night. I'm trying to get a set or 2 in with a regular 1 hole player every Wedensday. My opponent had me 7 to -2. (I owed 2 balls and he only needed 1). I came all the way back and won that rack 8 to 7. I had a good 5 ball run in there and some good "safety" shots. I was proud of myself but if it wasnt for my 9ball game, I would never have won that rack. The shot making and position play to short sides is what got me that win.

If championship pool was decided by a 1 pocket game you are going to see a lot of champions with considerably less talent and ability who are just more patient.

I will say this though... since I have been learning this game and trying to get better at it, my 9ball safes and touch seems to have improved. So it's good for that at least. :)

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 am 

Icon of Sin wrote:
BOGEY54311 wrote:

I dont know... You call it trivial, but seeing the pattern and actually doing it are 2 different things, and there is waaaaaay more to 9ball (as you know as you are a damn good player) then just seeing the pattern.

What about the 2 way shots in 9 ball? Not easy by any sense of the word. Packages. Keeping your opponent in the chair. Having to play 4 rail position to perfect spot. Making that insane full table shot with a massive stroke to get back down on the same end of the table you are shooting from for the next ball (rather then just lagging it up to your hole).

I played 1 hole again last night. I'm trying to get a set or 2 in with a regular 1 hole player every Wedensday. My opponent had me 7 to -2. (I owed 2 balls and he only needed 1). I came all the way back and won that rack 8 to 7. I had a good 5 ball run in there and some good "safety" shots. I was proud of myself but if it wasnt for my 9ball game, I would never have won that rack. The shot making and position play to short sides is what got me that win.

If championship pool was decided by a 1 pocket game you are going to see a lot of champions with considerably less talent and ability who are just more patient.

I will say this though... since I have been learning this game and trying to get better at it, my 9ball safes and touch seems to have improved. So it's good for that at least. :)

I like you alot Heath and I pray you don't take this personally, but you are so far off it's not even funny.
World class 9 ball players who never play one pocket would get decimated with ease to a guy 1/2 his speed if he was a one pocket mover.
This is why I love the game so much. You need a wicked shit ton (that's a measured unit in Boston) of knowledge to play the game.
Your response to me shows you haven't scratched the surface yet. I hope you keep trying and reading up on it. You'll become a more well rounded player.

-Bogeysan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 am 

BOGEY54311 wrote:

I like you alot Heath and I pray you don't take this personally, but you are so far off it's not even funny.
World class 9 ball players who never play one pocket would get decimated with ease to a guy 1/2 his speed if he was a one pocket mover.

I have to say your statement above is 100% correct. My best friend and I started to play pool when we were 15 years old and went straight to the pool room right after school and all day on Saturday. A year later he had a 4 1/2 x 9 set up in his cellar and we played and practiced there also. Both of us got good and I mean real good by our late teens. We had no fear in playing anyone 9 ball, straight pool, or 8 ball at any pool room or bar and came out winners.

I moved away but caught up with him a couple of years later when he told me a story about some older guy coming to town who wanted to play one pocket for money. He thought, what the hell could be so hard about that. The guy looked old and out of shape who couldn't do much with a cue. They started out low and slow with games going back and forth until the old guy suggested they play for a lot more per game. This was back in the mid to late 60's. To make a long story short, the old guy wiped my friend completely out of around a grand as well as playing for my friend's Rambow cue which he also lost. Back in the 60's a grand was a tremendous amount of money. A grand back then would be worth over $7,000 today.

Nobody knew who the old guy was that just passed through town. Maybe Ronnie Allen or any of the old hustlers but my friend got flat out hustled in one pocket and would have killed him in 9 ball.

This is why I love the game so much. You need a wicked shit ton (that's a measured unit in Boston) of knowledge to play the game.
Your response to me shows you haven't scratched the surface yet. I hope you keep trying and reading up on it. You'll become a more well rounded player.

-Bogeysan

I don't have the knowledge it takes to become a world class (or even half-ass) "BRIDGE" player in cards nor do I give a shit to try to learn how. I'd rather play a bunch of other card games. Same thing here with pool games.

I also agree with your statement above EXCEPT for the more well rounded player part. I think one pocket played as the primary game for the majority of the time hurts the deadly accurate shooting skills and precision position play required for 9 ball or other rotation games. Probably 8 ball too.

Having played a lot of 14.1 myself, I also feel playing it all the time hurts long shooting accuracy for rotation games because in 14.1 you're normally playing on 1/2 of a table along with congestion. 14.1 takes incredible knowledge, creativity, shooting skills, and CB control. But what I like about it is one player can be at the table for a very long time knocking balls into pockets while the other guys ass is planted. Not true for beginner 14.1 players or a couple of hacks. They'll be up and down like yo-yo's the same way as in one pocket. That having been said, my 9 ball play definitely took a big nose dive when concentrating on a lot of 14.1.

It all comes down to what floats your boat and which game is the primary game played in pool rooms or leagues where ever you live.
Personally, I love making balls and hearing them splat into the back of the pocket and hitting other balls already pocketed. There's not enough of that in one pocket or anywhere close to the frequency. Bouncing balls off of rails and missing the pocket is something that pisses me off, not turn me on.

The pace of one pocket, especially with slower players walking around the table studying endless options and the game itself, is FUNERIAL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 pm 

BOGEY54311 wrote:

-Bogeysan

Nothing taken personally. We are buds :)

When you said a World Class 9 ball player would get decimated by a guy half his speed who is a good 1 pocket mover, I agree 100 percent. This is why I said this in my post:

"If championship pool was decided by a 1 pocket game you are going to see a lot of champions with considerably less talent and ability who are just more patient."

I agree in regards to needing a ton of knowledge about the game and that is where I think the 1 hole player can trump the 9 ball player even though the 9ball player has better ball making and position skills. The way I'm experiencing it now though personally, it's the opposite. I'm drilling guys at the pool hall that all they play is 1 hole, it's because that's all they play. They have no decent ball making ability nor position play. I'll see them line up for a shot and think, why are they shooting that ball? if they shoot a different ball they can get more points on the board. Then I realize they are doing this because they have no confidence in their ball making ability or position play, as they lag the ball up to their hole. There are some more experienced players there that I know I dont stand a chance against even if I was given 10-5, but these players are already damn good players in rotation games too. I know their ball making and position play is good. That on top of the 1 hole movement, I know I dont stand a chance.

It just baffles me that these guys have wasted so much time playing (years) and still dont have any idea how to move the cueball around the table or make a decent shot. It's like they are happy in there ignorance or something like that. Trying to win a marathon before learning how to take their first steps.

I agree that I have not even scratched the surface yet. I'm still not finding the game fun really but I am seeing it as a necessity to my overall improvement. In the grand scheme of things, if I were ever to be known for my ability at a pool game (a stretch, I know), I would like it to be for 9 ball instead of 1 hole.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:01 am 

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've gotten bored with 9 ball. Too much luck, simple to me. I do play it in tourneys cause it's hard to find the other games. I hope you find a friend who lives near that's a high level player that would take you under his wing and show you the in's and out's someday. Eddie Robin's book "winning one pocket" is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Try to borrow a copy if you can, since they're going for about $500 now for a used copy. Even if you don't play it anymore, the info and stories in it are mindblowing.
I'm a huge believer in the more different games you play, the better the player you will become.

Good luck brother.

-Bogey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am 

BOGEY54311 wrote:
I guess it comes down to personal preference. I've gotten bored with 9 ball. Too much luck, simple to me. I do play it in tourneys cause it's hard to find the other games. I hope you find a friend who lives near that's a high level player that would take you under his wing and show you the in's and out's someday. Eddie Robin's book "winning one pocket" is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Try to borrow a copy if you can, since they're going for about $500 now for a used copy. Even if you don't play it anymore, the info and stories in it are mindblowing.
I'm a huge believer in the more different games you play, the better the player you will become.

Good luck brother.

-Bogey

Im definitely going to continue playing it simply because I have seen the benefits of it in my 9ball game.

Running balls in it is fun, I will admit, but all the stuff in between is just a bit of a drag to me. Some of the 1 hole players are telling me that I'm making good shots/moves and that I will pick up quick, but these are the same guys that I am beating regularly, so Im not sure if they really know if it is a good shot or not. I think I need to donate to the best 1 hole player there with a spot and see how I do. Just to get a more accurate view of what my 1 hole game is really like.

You coming to the expo? Can we play a few and give me some advice if the opportunity arises?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 am 

I'll know in about 2 weeks if I'm going.
Absolutely.

-Bogey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:45 am 

Played 1 hole last night with one of the best 1 hole players in my area. I was given 10 - 5 as a spot and I pretty much knew going into it that it was going to be a loss. Played a quick race to 2 for 20 bucks and I did it just as a quick lesson and I wanted to see if I actually learned anything.

Suffice to say there is still a fuck ton that I need to learn. I made 1 ball total. I felt he was in control the entire time.

I have a real appreciation for the game and the knowledge that it requires. He just seemed to know what to do in all situations. He made one mistake that still covered ass and sold out absolutely nothing.

Like I said, I have an appreciation for the game, but I still don't like it. Just wanted to test myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 pm 

Icon of Sin wrote:
Played 1 hole last night with one of the best 1 hole players in my area. I was given 10 - 5 as a spot and I pretty much knew going into it that it was going to be a loss. Played a quick race to 2 for 20 bucks and I did it just as a quick lesson and I wanted to see if I actually learned anything.

Suffice to say there is still a fuck ton that I need to learn. I made 1 ball total. I felt he was in control the entire time.

I have a real appreciation for the game and the knowledge that it requires. He just seemed to know what to do in all situations. He made one mistake that still covered ass and sold out absolutely nothing.

Like I said, I have an appreciation for the game, but I still don't like it. Just wanted to test myself.

Yep, that's how I felt when I played. I was selling out left and right because I don't have the patience required and don't see any of the moves.
Not sure if you know him but easy-e, Eric C, is an outstanding player and whenever he comes to my area we meet up and play. He loves one pocket so it's the only time I play but, suffice to say, I get my ass handed to me. It is fun to watch him though since he really gets it. He's also a run-out 9 ball player so when I do sell out it's usually doom from there...lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:50 pm 

I hardly ever, well maybe never, post, but I saw this thread and felt some misplaced need to reply. I do play bridge at a very high level wyattearp, having won 1 national championship and placed 2nd in another and I have played bogey54311 one pocket. If I remember correctly, he and I played in Boston and he was kind enough to let me play with 1 of his cues and we played pretty close. I really like both games. I have played pretty much every pool game and was once considered pretty sporty, but that's just an old man's remembrances.
Hey Chris, I hope you still remember Tom.
I hope all is well with you and yours. Take care my friend.
You are exactly correct in your observations regarding one pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:25 pm 

mustang wrote:
I hardly ever, well maybe never, post, but I saw this thread and felt some misplaced need to reply. I do play bridge at a very high level wyattearp, having won 1 national championship and placed 2nd in another and I have played bogey54311 one pocket. If I remember correctly, he and I played in Boston and he was kind enough to let me play with 1 of his cues and we played pretty close. I really like both games. I have played pretty much every pool game and was once considered pretty sporty, but that's just an old man's remembrances.
Hey Chris, I hope you still remember Tom.
I hope all is well with you and yours. Take care my friend.
You are exactly correct in your observations regarding one pocket.

Impressive on the national championship and 2nd place for BRIDGE!! Actually, incredible! Obviously you like complicated mental games which require a lot of knowledge and thought.

My preference is fast games. I was the household champion in WAR, FISH as well as BLACKJACK! Top THAT, DUDE!! :lol: :lol:
Plus, I was born and raised in a town named AmBRIDGE. (it's in PA)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:22 am 

TOM!!!
I still have my same phone number.
Call me when you get a chance.
Or email me.
Bogey54311@yahoo.com