pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:35 pm 

Forgive the long story, but I wanted to share a lesson learned.

I play in a league Toronto's financial core. It is a "fun" league, with league dues going to trophies for the winners and cues and cases given away and a nice banquet. The lack of any cash or Vegas trip has generally made it good group of people and avoided a lot of bullsh$it. It also means that we have a lot of mid-to-low average players and only a few pool nuts. (I am one of the better players in the league, and I suck). That said, people want to win - people are competitive after all.

Last night we played the second round of playoffs. The format is each of our four players play each of their four players (i.e., four rounds of four games), plus two games of scotch doubles at the end. We are in a reasonably close match and in the last round. Player "X" plays my teammate (our team captain), who is at the low to mid level of skill in the league. Player X is a better player, and has been playing for years. X scratches, giving my captain BIH with just her last solid and the 8b remaining. He says "well, this should be over". With the balls where they were (and no remaining time out for coaching), my captain is an underdog to get out. She is annoyed by the comment and does not get out.

Now my turn to play. I am playing a woman (probably the best woman in the league; I am a favourite to win any given game, but not a lock). I am left with a tough long shot on the 1b with very awkward bridging. I am setting up my shot when Player X walks in front of my shot and looks at the balls to see my shot. There was no intervening ball or possible "do I need to call a ref" situation. I get pissed off. Player X is experienced enough to know better, so I bark at him to go sit down (in part annoyed by what he said the game earlier). I make the 1b, but have to leave myself another long shot at the same end of the table. As I am getting down on the shot, Player X walks directly into my line of sight again! Now I'm really pissed and tell him to sit the F down and that I just warned him about this. I make the shot, although I don't get out, I still win the game. My opponent was rattled by the animosity. I feel bad about that and I apologize to her.

After we win the match, I decide that I should apologize to Player X for yelling at him. I do so, and he tells me that he was distracted all night by a personal situation and he was pacing because he was upset about it (he tells me the details - he clearly is emotional about it and I believe him).

So now I feel like an a$$hole. I tell him I'm sorry and thought he was doing it on purpose and should not have acted that way.

I tell this story because I learned a lesson. I think, viewed only from what I knew, my actions were understandable (although I still could have handled it better), but what I learned (or re-learned, I suppose) is that you don't always know the whole story. I didn't know his personal situation and my actions totally made him suffer more stress when he didn't need it. Lesson learned, I hope for good this time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:22 pm 

BULLSHIT!!!! The guy knew exactly what he was doing, he's a scumbag sharking ass. I don't care what was going on in his life, what he was doing is bush league bullshit and he was doing it intentionally.

This guy wants to win and was doing all he could to shark. You yelling at him was well within your rites and warranted IMO. I don't blame him for trying but it's wrong and he knows it, this isn't pool etiquette it's just competition in general, don't feel bad he was wrong you were right.

Jim <------ if you aren't cheating you aren't trying

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm 

JimBo wrote:
BULLSHIT!!!! The guy knew exactly what he was doing, he's a scumbag sharking ass. I don't care what was going on in his life, what he was doing is bush league bullshit and he was doing it intentionally.

This guy wants to win and was doing all he could to shark. You yelling at him was well within your rites and warranted IMO. I don't blame him for trying but it's wrong and he knows it, this isn't pool etiquette it's just competition in general, don't feel bad he was wrong you were right.

Jim <------ if you aren't cheating you aren't trying

What Jim said. Totally spot on. The fact that the azzhole turned it into something about him when you apologized showed his true character.

Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:31 am 

Call Mr. X rite now and tell him he is a cock sucker, and tell him I said so. That should get you off the hook.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:21 am 

Thanks for the comments.

I think my reaction was understandable, but I choose to believe Mr X when he says he was distracted and pacing (at least the second time).

The personal issue was one that would definitely trouble someone, and he seemed genuinely messed up when I spoke to him.

And, regardless, even if it was a deliberate shark move, I could have made my point clearly and firmly without yelling at him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:11 am 

If his personal problems were bad enough to make him that "antsy" he should keep his ass home instead of coming out to pool night. The last think I would be able to do with a massive personal issue on my mind is play pool.

You weren't wrong, but feeling like the asshole is natural. There have been plenty of times that I apologized or surrendered in an argument because I either felt bad (still knowing that I was right) or was just exhausted at how out of hand things got. I lose sleep over shit like that and it blows that I care about things like that too much. It's hard as fuck to be a pool player and always trying to be a nice guy at the same time.

tl:dr. He should have stayed home. You weren't wrong at all, but feeling bad about it is natural.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 pm 

I barked at the kid I was playing last week in league. I'm two balls from winning on the hill, and he is in my line of sight breaking down one of his cues with a good amount of movement. I could care less if he wants to break down his cue, but he made sure to get into my line of sight to do it. I stood up and asked him if he was conceding (not a easy two shots and knew he wasn't), just pissed me off that he was playing some little shark game in a fun league match.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm 

Gideon wrote:

I play in a league Toronto's financial core. It is a "fun" league, with league dues going to trophies for the winners and cues and cases given away and a nice banquet. The lack of any cash or Vegas trip has generally made it good group of people and avoided a lot of bullsh$it. It also means that we have a lot of mid-to-low average players and only a few pool nuts. (I am one of the better players in the league, and I suck). That said, people want to win - people are competitive after all.

Last night we played the second round of playoffs. The format is each of our four players play each of their four players (i.e., four rounds of four games), plus two games of scotch doubles at the end. We are in a reasonably close match and in the last round. Player "X" plays my teammate (our team captain), who is at the low to mid level of skill in the league. Player X is a better player, and has been playing for years. X scratches, giving my captain BIH with just her last solid and the 8b remaining. He says "well, this should be over". With the balls where they were (and no remaining time out for coaching), my captain is an underdog to get out. She is annoyed by the comment and does not get out.

Now my turn to play. I am playing a woman (probably the best woman in the league; I am a favourite to win any given game, but not a lock). I am left with a tough long shot on the 1b with very awkward bridging. I am setting up my shot when Player X walks in front of my shot and looks at the balls to see my shot. There was no intervening ball or possible "do I need to call a ref" situation. I get pissed off. Player X is experienced enough to know better, so I bark at him to go sit down (in part annoyed by what he said the game earlier). I make the 1b, but have to leave myself another long shot at the same end of the table. As I am getting down on the shot, Player X walks directly into my line of sight again! Now I'm really pissed and tell him to sit the F down and that I just warned him about this. I make the shot, although I don't get out, I still win the game. My opponent was rattled by the animosity. I feel bad about that and I apologize to her.

After we win the match, I decide that I should apologize to Player X for yelling at him. I do so, and he tells me that he was distracted all night by a personal situation and he was pacing because he was upset about it (he tells me the details - he clearly is emotional about it and I believe him).

So now I feel like an a$$hole. I tell him I'm sorry and thought he was doing it on purpose and should not have acted that way.

I tell this story because I learned a lesson. I think, viewed only from what I knew, my actions were understandable (although I still could have handled it better), but what I learned (or re-learned, I suppose) is that you don't always know the whole story. I didn't know his personal situation and my actions totally made him suffer more stress when he didn't need it. Lesson learned, I hope for good this time.

You weren't wrong, and you don't need to feel bad. He seemed to own it, so it's done.

Until the next time.

Freddie <~~~ likes the clever way G. rattled his opponent!

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 pm 

Gideon wrote:

I'll agree with both you AND the others here. I think he probably was very well aware of what he was doing. I do think he was doing it intentionally to distract you. That being said, I can totally understand you feeling somewhat guilty for your reaction. That's not to say that you NEED to feel any kind of guilt. But I've been there and I can empathize.

- B <------------ has done some VERY stupid shit during tournaments / matches in response to sharking

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members