pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gus on eBay
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:42 am 

TW, what did George B use as his white collars in his early titlist cues?

Bogey<----Has seen a bunch of those over the years

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm 

BOGEY54311 wrote:

No idea, since George died several years before before I became interested in cuemaking. However, I WAS building high-end custom knives and swords while he was still alive, and if a stark white, fiber-reinforced phenolic material had been available (in ANY form) we almost certainly would have known AND been using it. The closest thing that wasn't genuine ivory was the paper-based GE "Ivory Micareta", and we all know how poorly THAT stuff aged.

One point to consider - and possibly investigate - was the actual source of the material George used for his non-ivory white rings and joint collars. Most of the materials that went into his cues, besides wood, were products used in other industries THAT HE HAD DIRECT ACCESS TO. For example, his A-joint splice bolts were a mild steel, double-ended lag bolt with a self-cutting thread. These were specifically made for, and used by, the outdoor playground equipment manufacturer where Balabushka worked. He also built accordions, so it would be reasonable to think that many of the various plastics he used were prominent in THAT trade.

Importantly, most of the early Balabushkas were built from Titlist house cues, and "coincidentally" many of the pool halls within a 5-mile radius around George's workshop had been experiencing mysterious late-night burglaries in which ONLY house cues were stolen. Furthermore, these burglaries stopped as suddenly as they began when Burton Spain started manufacturing and selling full-splice blanks.

Okay, I'm kidding about that last one. I got jokes. That was one of them. But the point is, if you want to really know what materials George Balabushka used to build his cues you're far better off investigating the stuff he was exposed to in his daily life than you are to believe the various apocryphal stories published in The Billiard Encyclopedia, and repeated ad nauseam on AZB (or wherever).

TW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 pm 

Greg Berger wrote:
I have a similar receipt from 7 months earlier for a cue that Barry verified for me. Others should chime in if my understanding from that time is not correct. But I thought that a receipt for work on an ‘Old’ Szamboti is a bit short of signing off on the cue as genuine. He could not find my cue specifically in his father’s book. But he described several signs that led him to believe the cue was made by his father and provided a range of likely years for its production. The ‘Old’ Szamboti receipt was more in the line of written confirmation that he believed the cue was made by his father. I only spoke with him the one time about the cue and perhaps I was too excited to grasp everything he was telling me.

His confirmation letters generally say "I believe" and then go on to describe details as to why he believes it is his Dad's. If he knows for sure (he has documentation in his files) then he states that in the letter.

This is just a receipt - if he paid $200 for verification, there should be a letter somewhere. If there is no letter, you could assume that the cue failed the verification.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 pm 

ThomasWayne wrote:
BOGEY54311 wrote:

No idea, since George died several years before before I became interested in cuemaking. However, I WAS building high-end custom knives and swords while he was still alive, and if a stark white, fiber-reinforced phenolic material had been available (in ANY form) we almost certainly would have known AND been using it. The closest thing that wasn't genuine ivory was the paper-based GE "Ivory Micareta", and we all know how poorly THAT stuff aged.

One point to consider - and possibly investigate - was the actual source of the material George used for his non-ivory white rings and joint collars. Most of the materials that went into his cues, besides wood, were products used in other industries THAT HE HAD DIRECT ACCESS TO. For example, his A-joint splice bolts were a mild steel, double-ended lag bolt with a self-cutting thread. These were specifically made for, and used by, the outdoor playground equipment manufacturer where Balabushka worked. He also built accordions, so it would be reasonable to think that many of the various plastics he used were prominent in THAT trade.

Importantly, most of the early Balabushkas were built from Titlist house cues, and "coincidentally" many of the pool halls within a 5-mile radius around George's workshop had been experiencing mysterious late-night burglaries in which ONLY house cues were stolen. Furthermore, these burglaries stopped as suddenly as they began when Burton Spain started manufacturing and selling full-splice blanks.

Okay, I'm kidding about that last one. I got jokes. That was one of them. But the point is, if you want to really know what materials George Balabushka used to build his cues you're far better off investigating the stuff he was exposed to in his daily life than you are to believe the various apocryphal stories published in The Billiard Encyclopedia, and repeated ad nauseam on AZB (or wherever).

TW

Thomas, I think you're right....I have a fancy cue that Pete Tascarella made for me about 10 years ago with the same non ivory white material that George used for his white rings at the A joint... This material looks like the exact same stuff...