pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm 

I have a friend and team-mate who plays great bar box 8-ball. Probably an APA 6.

The interesting thing is that he is a "Little Person" (dwarf if you will), and is not only very short but has short arms. He holds his cue (standard Falcon) just at the top of the wrap area on most shots, but he is also amazingly adept at shooting with an extremely long bridge (e.g., bridging at or below the joint).

On many (certainly most) shots, the cue is too butt-heavy. He is thinking about maybe somekind of a custom cue made very forward-weighted, but of course he's always played with a regular cue and doesn't want to spend the money and find he hates it. I suggested that maybe he take the weight bolt out (assuming there is one on a Falcon) and then add some weight to the forearm with some lead tape to see if he likes it.

Anyone have any different or better suggestions? Are there any cues that are already very forward-weighted that he could try?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

He can try moving a cue’s balance point by removing the weight bolt and the bumper. But I have been repeatedly warned about the potential issue of weakening the integrity of the butt cap where the weight bolt may support the assembly. If he likes the difference, I would suggest replacing it with a plastic or aluminum bolt.

I play with steel jointed cues because I like the effect that much weight has on moving the balance point forward. I would question if the lead tape experiment would give a realistic projection of what to expect from a custom cue. He might find a balance point he prefers, but it would seem a pretty big risk to assume the final cue will feel exactly the same. He needs to remember that removing a weight bolt / bumper or adding lead tape at the joint also impacts overall weight, not just balance point and that combination will most likely represent his preference.

To move balance point forward, he could try heavier shafts. The difference of 0.5 oz. can move balance about a half inch. But if at times he is bridging near the joint, that could be the wrong direction for him, particularly if the heavier shaft produces more squirt. Shaft weight is only one part of the impact on overall balance. Shaft balance point is also a factor even though changes of an inch only affect assembled balance by 0.2-0.3”. I own a Predator 314-2 that weighs 4.15 oz. Its balance point is a full inch closer to the joint than similarly weighted traditional shafts.

Another idea might be to consider a cue similar to a jump/break where the butt is split further back into the wrap area. Essentially, a shorter cue with an extension. For shots where he holds near the top of the wrap, without the extension, the balance would be pretty far forward of the wrap. Adding the extension would allow him to reach further and bridge closer to the joint. He would need to adjust to different overall weights, but everybody who plays with removable extensions does the same. Rather than go straight to building a custom cue, with the assistance of a local cuemaker, he could experiment by converting some old house cue butts to see if he is interested in fine-tuning the approach. I like this idea the most.

I don’t have experience with forward weighted (>19.5”) production cues. So I cannot offer suggestions for brands to try.

Greg <----- just spit-balling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:49 am 

Gideon wrote:
I have a friend and team-mate who plays great bar box 8-ball. Probably an APA 6.

The interesting thing is that he is a "Little Person" (dwarf if you will), and is not only very short but has short arms. He holds his cue (standard Falcon) just at the top of the wrap area on most shots, but he is also amazingly adept at shooting with an extremely long bridge (e.g., bridging at or below the joint).

On many (certainly most) shots, the cue is too butt-heavy. He is thinking about maybe somekind of a custom cue made very forward-weighted, but of course he's always played with a regular cue and doesn't want to spend the money and find he hates it. I suggested that maybe he take the weight bolt out (assuming there is one on a Falcon) and then add some weight to the forearm with some lead tape to see if he likes it.

Anyone have any different or better suggestions? Are there any cues that are already very forward-weighted that he could try?

I'm trying to envision this entire scenario but have questions. It's intriguing. How far above the table is his head and body when he's shooting? If he's shooting from one of the end rails to pocket a ball in the corner, where does the CB have to be to make it "unreachable"? Side pocket...before the side pocket...after the side pocket? Does he use the mechanical bridge a lot? Does he stand on a crate or some other type of stool that can be moved around easily? Is his cue standard length, 58", or is it longer with an extension?

Falcons have a screwball weight bolt. Yes, they can be changed or removed but need a special wrench. I know because I have one with a good number of different weighted bolts. It still depends on how heavy the butt is without the weight bolt and how heavy the weight bolt is to begin with along with the weight of his shaft.

A heavier shaft would help. I have a couple of shafts that weigh 4.8 oz. Put one on a light butt with no weight bolt and it definitely makes it front heavy. He'd probably be better off with a cue longer than standard also. Fyi, the 4.8 oz. shafts don't fit on the Falcon screw.

Have someone bring a decent digital scale that's accurate to the pool room and weigh the shaft and butt as they now are. It'll give some basis to work from instead of conjecture and just pissing into the wind.

The butt on my Falcon weighs 14.05 oz. without the bumper and 14.25 with the bumper and NO weight bolt inside. The shaft is
4.25 oz.

He could try using one of these extenders that slide over and down the cue to extend the butt: The price of these sure beats the hell out of a new custom length cue that may or may not work.

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions/cue-reach/

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions ... extension/

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions ... with-case/

If not anything above, then a lot to choose from here and he might not have to do anything with his cue.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ladders-an ... swodQf0PqQ

These mini step stools look pretty neat and would help quite a bit. Hell, I wouldn't mind using one myself. I've missed more shots and lost more money because of the POS mechanical bridge than anything else I can think of. I HATE those motherfuckers!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/28400404/H ... tep-stools

Probably wouldn't work for Jimbo because it has a maximum capacity of 330 lbs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 am 

wyattearp wrote:
Gideon wrote:

I'm trying to envision this entire scenario but have questions. It's intriguing. How far above the table is his head and body when he's shooting? If he's shooting from one of the end rails to pocket a ball in the corner, where does the CB have to be to make it "unreachable"? Side pocket...before the side pocket...after the side pocket? Does he use the mechanical bridge a lot? Does he stand on a crate or some other type of stool that can be moved around easily? Is his cue standard length, 58", or is it longer with an extension?

Falcons have a screwball weight bolt. Yes, they can be changed or removed but need a special wrench. I know because I have one with a good number of different weighted bolts. It still depends on how heavy the butt is without the weight bolt and how heavy the weight bolt is to begin with along with the weight of his shaft.

A heavier shaft would help. I have a couple of shafts that weigh 4.8 oz. Put one on a light butt with no weight bolt and it definitely makes it front heavy. He'd probably be better off with a cue longer than standard also. Fyi, the 4.8 oz. shafts don't fit on the Falcon screw.

Have someone bring a decent digital scale that's accurate to the pool room and weigh the shaft and butt as they now are. It'll give some basis to work from instead of conjecture and just pissing into the wind.

The butt on my Falcon weighs 14.05 oz. without the bumper and 14.25 with the bumper and NO weight bolt inside. The shaft is
4.25 oz.

He could try using one of these extenders that slide over and down the cue to extend the butt: The price of these sure beats the hell out of a new custom length cue that may or may not work.

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions/cue-reach/

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions ... extension/

https://www.seyberts.com/cue-extensions ... with-case/

If not anything above, then a lot to choose from here and he might not have to do anything with his cue.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ladders-an ... swodQf0PqQ

These mini step stools look pretty neat and would help quite a bit. Hell, I wouldn't mind using one myself. I've missed more shots and lost more money because of the POS mechanical bridge than anything else I can think of. I HATE those motherfuckers!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/28400404/H ... tep-stools

He's maybe 4' 8" or 4' 10". He uses a standard 58" Falcon. He doesn't need a stool or an extension - he uses a number of different positions on the cue and (also shoots a few shots one-handed) and uses the bridge well. As I said - he plays very well on the bar box.

The extension would only make the cue more butt-heavy for normal shots when he's griping up near the top of the wrap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:17 am 

Gideon wrote:

He's maybe 4' 8" or 4' 10". He uses a standard 58" Falcon. He doesn't need a stool or an extension - he uses a number of different positions on the cue and (also shoots a few shots one-handed) and uses the bridge well. As I said - he plays very well on the bar box.

The extension would only make the cue more butt-heavy for normal shots when he's griping up near the top of the wrap.

Then get a new shaft made that's longer and heavier that will fit his joint instead of an entirely new cue. He can use his normal shaft most of the time and then screw the longer one on and off when needed.

You still should bring a scale and see what his current shaft and butt weighs out at. Make sure it's digital and not one of those cheap ass spring scales for food.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 am 

Greg Berger wrote:
Another idea might be to consider a cue similar to a jump/break where the butt is split further back into the wrap area. Essentially, a shorter cue with an extension. For shots where he holds near the top of the wrap, without the extension, the balance would be pretty far forward of the wrap. Adding the extension would allow him to reach further and bridge closer to the joint.

Gideon wrote:

I was thinking of something like a 52" cue with a quick release, light weight 6" extension.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am 

wyattearp wrote:
Gideon wrote:

HEY!!!!

Jim<------- under 330

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:00 am 

Hang out with taller friends.