pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 am 

Just saw this cue on AZ and thought to myself "Wow. That looks... familiar. :shock: :x

Attachments:
TW knockoff.jpg
TW knockoff.jpg [ 231.24 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Well, whoever did it added Stroud ring work so it's legit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm 

I saw this on AZ and was going to make a post here about it. I wasn't shocked by it, some things never change, it's really sad. I've never understood how this stuff is so excepted and how some dopes believe everything has been done. What a joke.

Jim <------ desintigrating cue is how I was introduced to TW and what made me a life long fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 am 

JimBo wrote:
I saw this on AZ and was going to make a post here about it. I wasn't shocked by it, some things never change, it's really sad. I've never understood how this stuff is so excepted and how some dopes believe everything has been done. What a joke.

Jim <------ desintigrating cue is how I was introduced to TW and what made me a life long fan

The guy who started the thread on AZ private messaged me, admitting that he took his 'inspiration' from Thomas' cue. But he also used the "aren't all cues copies" defense citing 'points, veneers, boxes, etc.".

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm 

I build the first (of two ) "Disintegrating Cue" designs in 1992. That's 25 years ago, and - frankly - I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed as inspiration before now.

My vision, such as it was, engaged the idea of a design that disintegrated and re-integrated along the length of the cue [in the forearm] and around the circumference of the cue in the buttsleeve. To enhance the visual, I scrimmed tiny seam lines in the solid-block portions of the inlays, near the "disintegrating" ends, to lead the mind in the direction of tiny "blocks" breaking off and falling down [and around] the cue. That part was subtle, so I was especially pleased when my life-long friend Mark Griffin pulled me aside to let me know, in a whispered voice, that some cracks were developing in the larger inlay pieces [lol].

The cue shown in this thread is far too removed from both the original concept AND the finished piece to be considered a "knock off", in my opinion. From a design perspective, there are things I like about it, and things I don't.

I like that the falling pieces are "drops", and that these drops obey the surface-tension characteristics of fluid drops - they stretch as the fall free from the top piece but rebound into spheres as they are falling. I also like that they obey the laws of gravity, in that they are only falling one direction.

I don't like that the rest of the design is fairly derivative of many other cues, and I also don't like that the transformation of gravity-stretched drops reverting to their natural sphere shape is only represented by two different shapes - they're drops... they're drops... they're drops... oh now they're suddenly spheres. In other words, I think a progressive transformation would have been more interesting AND made more sense (visually).

Overall, I like the cue - and I'm actually pleased that someone took my design and used it for inspiration that ISN'T just a poor copy of the original. That's how art progresses, as all art is - at it's core - derivative. Plus, it absolutely beats the hell out of another "My Szamboti Tribute" post.

TW