Been a Tough Year
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hey Skins.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 pm 

Skins wrote:
RunScott wrote:
That is a good story.

Is there any way to date new southwest based on the year and pin number? (To the month or day of sale or completion?)

Thats a good question. I dont know but I would think so. Maybe someone here knows for sure and will chime in.

Simple answer is of course Laurie has all that info, not sure how much she would share, specificly who the original buyer was. But I think common sense would give you hints as to when it was made, they start at 300 and I don’t think they make 250 cues a year, so I’d say cue # 312 was early in the year 350 mid year and maybe 411 in the fall. But my question would be what would it matter???

Jim<——-curious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 pm 

JimBo wrote:
Skins wrote:
RunScott wrote:
That is a good story.

Is there any way to date new southwest based on the year and pin number? (To the month or day of sale or completion?)

Thats a good question. I dont know but I would think so. Maybe someone here knows for sure and will chime in.

Simple answer is of course Laurie has all that info, not sure how much she would share, specificly who the original buyer was. But I think common sense would give you hints as to when it was made, they start at 300 and I don’t think they make 250 cues a year, so I’d say cue # 312 was early in the year 350 mid year and maybe 411 in the fall. But my question would be what would it matter???

Jim<——-curious

I wonder what records they do have from early on. I've seen LOA's that are not very specific as to when the cue was made and always wondered why that was. Does Laurie not want to share the specifics or are those records too vague to offer accuracy? As for the # of cues built per year, that's always been a hot topic. Just for the sake of discussion, I've always thought their average yearly production was about 200 cues/year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am 

Skins wrote:
I wonder what records they do have from early on. I've seen LOA's that are not very specific as to when the cue was made and always wondered why that was. Does Laurie not want to share the specifics or are those records too vague to offer accuracy?

I bought a South West cue in 1991 from a cue dealer who originally ordered the cue. From that point on, whenever I spoke with Laurie about the cue, when I told her who ordered the cue and the date it was delivered, she knew quite a few details about the cue. In particular, she knew the original tip brand, ferrule material, ferrule diameter, taper, weight, forearm wood, point wood, that it lacked veneers, and butt diameter. She knew that it was the thinnest butt diameter South West had produced up to that date and that they had built thinner cues since then. She may have known more about the cue, but those are the details I recall discussing with her. She told me she would put my name on her index card but failed at least once to do that. Whether she eventually recorded my ownership doesn’t really matter to me. But the information of who ordered and approximate date delivered was enough to find the construction details which could authenticate the cue. The pin engraving seems to provide a more rigorous and lasting path to their recorded details from the time of production. After several ownership changes, the information I knew about my cue will likely be lost.

I only have experience with one of their cues. But I was impressed with how many details she could provide.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:23 pm 

JimBo wrote:
But my question would be what would it matter???

Jim<——-curious

Because mine is 2012/366 and one of the most emotional and strangest periods of my life began May 5, 2012 and continued through August. Seems like my cue might have been born during that period.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 am 

JimBo wrote:

Simple answer is of course Laurie has all that info, not sure how much she would share, specificly who the original buyer was....... But my question would be what would it matter???

Jim<——-curious

It matters to me. I want to know the history of any collectible item I have. Not only is it a neat thing to know an items history but it also proves provenance when selling. I mean we're talking items selling for thousands of dollars here. The more info you have the better right? Of course. It's like when I look for old muscle cars. Knowing the history (to me) is always better so if it has the original build sheet, engine tags, etc.. that state what options were included when the car left the production line thats much better. Especially if the car still has all those matching options. Thats a major plus and benefits in resale tremendously.

Skins-----------thinks build sheets for cues would be very cool 8)