RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 am 

I haven’t been playing much but the last few outings have been at a pool room that’s been open for over a hundred years (est 1884), Booches in Columbia, MO. It’s a pretty small place but they have a 10’ billiards table, two 10’ snooker tables and three 9’ pool tables. Here’s the table I was playing on yesterday:

The tables actually play really well. The only things that take some getting used to are the tiny rails and the fact that they’re angled down some so bridging on the rail is sometimes wood on wood. It’s definitely interesting playing on antique tables. I also took all three of my cues out to directly compare them. I enjoy all three and it was cool to feel the differences back to back.

The Joey is definitely the stiffest and it took a little bit to get used to the butt taper as seems to get narrower at the but end. The Brent Summers is thinner and lighter than I’m used to but it’s still a really solid feel. I need to change the tip though as it’s too soft for me. Lastly, there’s my JMW which just feels like home lol. I have managed to put some scuffs in the finish, I think with my shoes, but it’s not a display piece so I don’t mind it looking played. I was going to take a new group picture but I forgot. I may take my good camera today and see if I can get some decent pics. Here’s a couple I took of the JMW between racks after taking pics of the table:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm 

I tried a bit of snooker today and about 20 minutes worth of 3-cushion. After a couple racks of solo snooker I started working on just trying to straighten out my stroke as this let me know how lazy my stroke and aiming has gotten! At the end, I racked the reds and practiced a bit of one pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:23 pm 

I just flashed back to Raytown Recreation in Raytown, MO. Lordy I love those old rooms and tables.

The JMW is still as stunning to me as when you first designed it. Beautiful cue.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:03 am 

ScottR wrote:
I just flashed back to Raytown Recreation in Raytown, MO. Lordy I love those old rooms and tables.

The JMW is still as stunning to me as when you first designed it. Beautiful cue.

Scott

I agree, I forgot how much character the old rooms have. They also take better care of the tables so that’s a bonus as well. I think I’m going to definitely practice more on the snooker tables to work on honing my stroke as much as possible. I’ve also decided to start playing in a weekly 9-ball tournament on 7’ Diamonds. I don’t really care for the small tables but I need to start competing more often so I’m not just hitting balls into the rails lol.

The JMW is still very special to me and I can’t thank you and Steve enough for taking care of it in my moment of need and allowing me to get it back. I met a kid at the pool hall this week who was quite complementary of the design. It’s always nice to have a design you had a hand in creating be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 pm 

Cool room. Beautiful cue. Thanks for posting pics.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm 

What you need to do is get 4-6 guys who all shoot around the same speed and get a golf game going on the snooker table. It’s a fantastic game for improving many areas of your game. How is the next cue project coming???

Jim<——- also a huge fan of having a hand in the cue design

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:52 pm 

Josh Treadway and I have been playing around with a Celtic design theme. We're going to nail a design down after the SBE. I've been thinking of a Tartan inspired veneer theme (Black, double green, blue, red, blue, double green), green maple burl for handle and minor points and ebony for major points and butt sleeve with a maple burl nose. Beyond that, I've got to see how far my budget will stretch but my last thoughts were a Celtic knot ring at the base of the butt sleeve and possibly a Claddagh ring motif in the points. I think something similar to this would be cool for the butt sleeve:

Attachment:
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG [ 34.91 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Claddagh ring:

Attachment:
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG [ 14.95 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Tartan pattern:

Attachment:
tartan.jpg
tartan.jpg [ 74.95 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Perhaps something simpler for the joint rings:

Attachment:
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG [ 21.59 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 pm 

That’s an ambitious project, keep us updated, but I was talking about your project with Tonkin, did I miss that cue completed??

Jim<——-hasn’t been paying attention

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:40 pm 

Yeah, I’ve got to talk with Josh and see what the actual possibilities are and figure out a budget. As for the Tonkin, I had to put it on hold for a while but Pete should be able to start working on the cue again later this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk