RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Making adjustments.
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 am 

Played a set last night. Lost $50.

Still not there yet... the time off combined with the new feel of the cue... I really dogged it a few racks. Learning experience. Happy with myself for stepping up. Gotta keep putting the work in.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:39 pm 

Icon of Sin wrote:

Still not there yet... the time off combined with the new feel of the cue... I really dogged it a few racks. Learning experience. Happy with myself for stepping up. Gotta keep putting the work in.

I’m not sure if you losing has any correlation with this thread. By that I mean do you honestly believe you would have won the set if it took place 4 months ago? How do you think you match up with the person you played if it happened 10 times? I don’t mean you at your best. Because if it’s a close match I believe nerves or rolls can come in to play quite often, but if it’s a guy you normally beat then it can be you not being comfortable with your new set up.

Jim <—— wondering if the extension came into play in the set

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 am 

JimBo wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:

I’m not sure if you losing has any correlation with this thread. By that I mean do you honestly believe you would have won the set if it took place 4 months ago? How do you think you match up with the person you played if it happened 10 times? I don’t mean you at your best. Because if it’s a close match I believe nerves or rolls can come in to play quite often, but if it’s a guy you normally beat then it can be you not being comfortable with your new set up.

Jim <—— wondering if the extension came into play in the set

As I stated last night in text to Jim. I feel I would have won that set just 1 month ago.

There was weight involved. I would say without a spot, he would win about 6 of out every 10 racks. He gave me the breaks and the free 8. I hung 8balls. Had weak safes as I was missing the locks as my speed was off. With the weight, it should be easy for me.

The extension is awesome. That shit comes in handy. Don't have to worry about stretching or not getting a decent stroke or contact with the crutch. Can hit a ton more shots that would normally require the bridge. can't reach everything, still need the bridge, but the extension with the bridge on those make it easier as well. Really glad I had that made.

So I'm still playing a couple hours every night. Shot at home on Monday night and then went back out to the poolhall last night. Played a weaker player but gave him the 7 out. Won by a good margin too and remained in control the whole match, to the point where I had to intentionally dog a few balls and a rack. Before we played I ran a 2 pack on a gold crown with extended rails. First out was perfect, 2nd one I was out of line for half the rack but I kept making some difficult shots. I feel that my accuracy is my weakest point at the moment while adjusting, so I was happy over all.

Last night I feel I shot the closest to how I played prior to having the cue worked on. Still a few uncharacteristic mistakes (I make enough characteristically, so I know the ones I that are uncharacteristic).

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.