RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:33 pm 

Well, I received my Becue in record time! I was able to get out and play around with it for a couple hours last night and I will echo the others that have said it has a great, solid feel without the hollowness of the other low squirt shafts I’ve tried. Surprisingly, I seemed to adjust to the deflection characteristics quite quickly but definitely noticed the more pronounced swerve, especially when elevated, but found it very controllable. I actually made two or three semi-masse shots. I tried a couple full cue jump shots and they didn’t go well but it’s a medium tip instead of my standard hard. All-in-all, I really enjoyed the hit of the cue and it seemed like the long straight shots were immediately more consistent.

I tried both shafts with, and without, the glove and, also surprisingly, I think I am liking the 5.1 more. My initial thoughts are that it’s closer to the 13mm shafts where I’m stroking the cue combined with the fact that my closed bridge is fairly loose and it tightens nicely at the middle/end of the stroke. Without the glove, there was definitely some “squeakiness” but smooth at the same time. I’m curious to see how it will feel if I take my Qwiz to it. With the glove, it was way slicker than anything I’ve played which, I suppose, is to be expected. The only drawback was the Velcro on the wrist portion. It was way too tight on my wrist if I closed it all the way and if I didn’t, the exposed portion rubbed uncomfortably on my wrist. I eventually really loosened it and that was better so I’ll have to continue playing around with things to see what I settle on.

Lastly, I played around with the adjustable weights and the extension. I can say 21oz was too much and I’ll likely settle on either 19.5 or 20oz. The Leonardo system is definitely cool and insanely easy to modify. However, as others have said, once you settle on a weight you’ll likely not change it again. The extension is the first screw in type I’ve used. It is very cool and worked well but the thinness of the pin makes me a little worried that I’ll break it or possibly over-torque it. I’m sure it’s perfectly robust though and it’s cool that it goes into the hex hole used for torquing/removing the bumper to install/swap weights. I look forward to putting in some hours at the table with the cue and sharing more thoughts afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:34 pm 

Quick pic:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm 

Don’t get mad at me but...
What’s a BeCue???

Jim <—— seriously? I have no clue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:28 pm 

Don’t get mad at me but...
What’s a BeCue???

Jim <—— seriously? I have no clue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 pm 

It’s an all carbon composite cue. Similar tech to the Revo but the butt is carbon composite as well. It’s from a company in Italy that started with a kickstarter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:40 pm 

zeeder wrote:
It’s an all carbon composite cue. Similar tech to the Revo but the butt is carbon composite as well. It’s from a company in Italy that started with a kickstarter.

The idea of a "carbon composite" cue butt is ridiculous. The benefits for carbon composite fabrications are weight savings and highly controllable flex patterns. Neither of those attributes improves - in ANY way - the function of the butt section of a cue.

Decades ago Cuetec achieved pretty much all that can EVER be achieved in that arena by producing a cue that showcased the interesting light-shifting weave pattern of carbon fiber construction on the butt - though I personally believe that was mostly ornamental, and that the piece actually contained little (if ANY) carbon fiber.

TW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm 

Quote:
The idea of a "carbon composite" cue butt is ridiculous. The benefits for carbon composite fabrications are weight savings and highly controllable flex patterns. Neither of those attributes improves - in ANY way - the function of the butt section of a cue.

The weight savings is so laughable . Maple to maple butts are so light, a heavy joint screw and weight bolts are needed to get it up over 18 oz.
Quote:
Decades ago Cuetec achieved pretty much all that can EVER be achieved in that arena by producing a cue that showcased the interesting light-shifting weave pattern of carbon fiber construction on the butt - though I personally believe that was mostly ornamental, and that the piece actually contained little (if ANY) carbon fiber.

TW

I even remember the Balicini cue line by McDermott. They were graphite cues with swirly color . Graphite shafts at that .

Black cues are in again somehow.
Gonna make me a cored black phenolic forearm cue with a cork wrap or just purpleheart handle.
It would be a good bar banger I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:04 pm 

I don’t think the carbon fiber butt is about weight savings. The website says it is more about stability, consistency, and durability over time. I played with it in a tournament this weekend and it is definitely a really solid hit. Like other reviews have said, it hits similar to a full wood shaft but with the vibration being a different frequency and lasting for a shorter duration. I love how stiff and solid it feels. I’ve still only played 6-7 hours with it and have been switching between shafts to try and see which taper I prefer. The ‘pro’ taper is only 12mm and feels super small in my hands but the conical taper gets pretty big pretty quick. That said, I’ve enjoyed playing with both.

It is definitely funny to see others reaction to the white shaft and carbon fiber butt. I’ve let a couple folks hit a few and, so far, everyone has been impressed. One person couldn’t wrap his mind around why I’d buy an Italian cue instead of American lol. I’ve tried to play a bit without the glove but it definitely has to be wiped down often and is still grabbier than I’d like on my bridge hand. The touch glove works well except for the exposed Velcro on my, apparently, delicate wrists lol. As a work around, I folded up a little piece of paper towel and put it under the Velcro. It’s funny that this entire setup is everything I’ve been biased against for most of my pool playing life! I’m going to try to a few tips to make the shafts more friendly to non-glove play but, having used the glove a bit, it solves some issues I’ve had even with my wood shafts so I may learn to deal. Besides, it seems that the majority of players are using them nowadays.

I’ve decided to play exclusively with this cue for a few months and am interested to see what effect it may have on my consistency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk