RIP Dennis Dieckman

Hope There is a Golf Course in Heaven
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm 

Let's say you're a fledgling cue collector, and you decided that after you've tasted the cue collecting bug with a fairly big Schon, met Evan Clarke after he retired, got a bit of story on cues he built and why he built them, you decided to start collecting. And you start big.

Within a year, you've picked up these cues:

Tascaralla - Full splice, nothing but sharp, veneered points up and down, ebony into maple
Ginacue - Plain 4-pt, no sharps since Ernie didn't do V-splices, ebony points in to maple
Searing - 4-ptr, good history, nothing beyond "Level 3" , ebony points into maple
Barry Szambot - another plain 4-pter, ebony points into maple

Seems like a good pattern of cuemakers and related combination. Two from the Northeast, One from CA and the other from Florida.

What should be the 5th? Obviously, some kind of ebony into maple. I'll cheat and saying adding up to a 6th or 8th cuemaker are okay, but good reasoning has to be presented other than it hits a ton or you have one for sale...

I have a 5th in mind for a specific reason.

Freddie <~~~ has none of the above

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Easy......Barenbrugge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 pm 

Looks like you have done pretty well on your own for the last year!

Buy what makes you happy.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 pm 

With the pedigree, and value, of those makers I think a Hercek or Black Boar would be a good next cue as either would be in line with the theme.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 pm 

Scruggs. 4 point 4 veneer, steel joint 5/16 14 pin. Ivory ferrules.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 pm 

63Kcode wrote:
Looks like you have done pretty well on your own for the last year!

Buy what makes you happy.

Larry

Definitely isn’t me, Larry! I don’t have one on that list!

Freddie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:02 am 

I know nothing, but I would say a Treadway. Likes doing wrapless, is from a different region, is from a younger generation and, most importantly, I love his work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:18 am 

I’m not much of a collector, but if I was I would say that list has a bit of a traditional feel with HOF pedigree, along those lines I would say

1) Schick
2) Hercek
3) Showman

But then another side of me says go with a little Diversity yet staying with the top guys of the day.

1) Manzino
2) Barenbrugie
3) Haley
4) Tonkin

Jim <——- would be happy to own any of these

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am 

This thread really got me thinking about what advice 2018 me would give to 1986 me ( not in life but just cues). I am sure that my collection would look a lot differently.

I’ve told the story before about how I made a top 10 wish list when I started and then started my journey to fill it, of course with no clue and limited knowledge the list was very grandiose (Szamboti, Bushka, Gina, etc, etc...) I also love the advice to buy what you like except “what you like” is such an odd term because “what you like” is solely based off of what you know at the time. As well as what you can afford. I’ve got more then a few cues in my journey that I look at now and wonder wtf was I thinking?!?!?!

I’m an odd guy because after I filled my top 10 wish list I changed focus to a very achievable goal of wanting to try a cue from EVERY maker in my quest to find the best player, at the time I assumed that maybe there were about 40-50 people making cues... boy was I off.

I’m also odd in that I am jealous of everyone, I see people who only buy one era of cue, or one maker and no matter how much I don’t care for that type of cue or style I find myself jealous that they are able to stick to one thing. I’m jealous of guys who just collect meucci or of some of the cooler themes like Heath’s focus on MD makers, that’s some cool shit right there.

I’ve rambled on enough, I had one other suggestion for your “mystery” friend, I would suggest he get to know a cuemaker and work on a project with said maker so that he has a unique cue and story. Of course knowing what I do about some of the guys I’ve worked with this advice could turn him away from cues forever.

Jim <——- it’s all about the journey!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:45 pm 

A SW of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:41 pm 

JimBo wrote:
I’m not much of a collector, but if I was I would say that list has a bit of a traditional feel with HOF pedigree, along those lines I would say

1) Schick
2) Hercek
3) Showman

But then another side of me says go with a little Diversity yet staying with the top guys of the day.

1) Manzino
2) Barenbrugie
3) Haley
4) Tonkin

The HoF pedigree with traditional feel was exactly what I was thinking. Maybe his next 5 should be fancier with Manzino, BB, Barenbrugge, etc., but it feels to me that a traditional cue from a HoF maker completes the first 5. Then I was thinking that other than Dennis, who many feel is the best cuemaker, that the other three on the list are all second generation, with the odd look at Ginacue as a 2nd Generation of Ginacue, the Petes continuing what George wrote down and left, and Barry of course as Gus's son.

For that reasoning, I suggested a TAD, maybe post Tad's passing?

Freddie <~~~ wants 'em all

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:52 pm 

Well as a few know ( Fredbeing one) I am anti TAD, but that’s my cross to bare. Also Ernie is ole school Gangstah, on Mount Rushmore with Gus and GB. I vote no on TAD but again that’s just me.

Jim <——- when will this mystery man post his thoughts here??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:38 am 

Cornerman wrote:
JimBo wrote:

1) Schick
2) Hercek
3) Showman

1) Manzino
2) Barenbrugie
3) Haley
4) Tonkin

The HoF pedigree with traditional feel was exactly what I was thinking. Maybe his next 5 should be fancier with Manzino, BB, Barenbrugge, etc., but it feels to me that a traditional cue from a HoF maker completes the first 5. Then I was thinking that other than Dennis, who many feel is the best cuemaker, that the other three on the list are all second generation, with the odd look at Ginacue as a 2nd Generation of Ginacue, the Petes continuing what George wrote down and left, and Barry of course as Gus's son.

For that reasoning, I suggested a TAD, maybe post Tad's passing?

Freddie <~~~ wants 'em all

Tad, the only Asian brotha in the hall of fame.
How can he go wrong with a Tad ?
I say buy one that the man himself touched.

Maybe a late model when they switched to auto clear finish .
SW, Tad, DPK, TW and McWorter . Can't go wrong with them imo.

If he can find the Judd Dreamcatcher, grab that one too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 pm 

I have never once factored ethnicity into the mix when considering a cuemaker, what’s wrong with me???

Jim <—— starting to think about his favorite ethnicity for cuemakers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:42 pm 

JimBo wrote:
I have never once factored ethnicity into the mix when considering a cuemaker, what’s wrong with me???

Jim <—— starting to think about his favorite ethnicity for cuemakers

Like buying cars ? Dude, it's a joke.

Being in the hall of fame as a maker counts for a lot if you are collecting imo.
If I had the dime, I'd buy a cue ( custom made ) from all hall of fame members except blud's.

You can tell a Tad cue across the room.
How many other cue brands can you say that ?