RIP John Davis

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 pm 

I only had the chance to talk to William a few times, but was very taken by how easy it was to just shoot the shit with him. He seemed very down to earth. Plus he was really looking to learn everything he could about building great playing and also good looking cues. He learned from some of the best.

But the biggest thing that tears at my heart is how he gave his life in a pretty much thankless job (these days) trying to protect others. My dad was a "cop" (God I hate that word) and was proud of what he did. But he also told me that it was not like it used to be when people respected what he was trying to do.

Here's hoping there is a good place for people like William who pay the ultimate price for all of us. No mis-cues, scratches, or bad rolls....

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:31 am 

Hear, hear, Scott!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:18 pm 

I've avoided this thread just because it really makes me so sad to think about how senseless this death was and what a nice guy William was.

I spent a long time talking with William just a few short months ago at SBE, he was suffering with something I've known all to well, a bad back, I gave him some pointers and tips on how I've dealt with it in the past and sadly I never got to follow up to see if he was able to take any of my advice and if he ever got some relief.

I first met William at the first SBE in Edison, we (CMD and Bogey) were at sand castle billiards, William had approached me and asked me if I would take a look at his cue and hit some balls with it and give him my honest opinion. I wasn't feeling great and as many know I am a dick and I politely declined, I believe I offended him. Later that night I was talking to someone else, I forget who but could have been Pavlos, Ron Roach or maybe Dennis and I got an introduction to William, I had known that he wasn't happy with me, but I explained that in the past I've done what he had asked and it never went well. People who ask me for honesty normally don't like my brand of honesty and I end up offending and for that reason I've stopped giving my $.02. We ended up talking for a while about our thoughts on cue construction and attention to details and quality. I think I smoothed over my initial impression and from that point on we had become friends.

From that day forward we had talked on the phone several times about cues and life and mutual friends (mostly John Showman, who we both love) and each year I looked forward to seeing him at SBE. We spoke about his retiring from the police life, only to go back into the job because he got a great offer to be the training officer, a job he really took pride in, one he thought would be less work with the pride of molding and helping to teach the young guys.

He was a quiet guy, who shared a love for cues and had a desire to build a solid cue that would not only play great but represent his quality. Just an all around great guy and his death is sad and way to soon. I hope those lucky enough to have one of his cues appreciates it and the work he put into it, and I hope his family and loved ones knows that there are people out here who they may never meet who feel the way that I do about him.

If there is a heaven he's making cues and his back is pain free, I hope Gus and George are giving him some pointers and I hope one day I can see him again.

Jim <----RIP William

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:16 pm 

im still kind of in shock.....had gotten pretty close to William as a customer and also via his cnc project which was almost complete....Then he's gone in an instant. Same with Royce.

I do have 2 beautiful cues by William that i need to post pictures of....its crazy because i'll never forget how critical he was of himself. He would point out things in his cues as imperfect when they were actually really perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 pm 

I never knew him but had a few dealings with him. He was always very nice and then one time he bought several pieces of wood from me. He sent me a pm and and told me that many of the pieces were bad and he marked the places. I just told him to return what he didnt want and deduct it from the total and I would pay the shipping back. Most were surface cracks and I may have been happier than him.