RIP "Blud"

Another One Gone
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: OT: Smoke Free
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 am 

Dave - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 9 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 210 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $68.21.

Freedom baby... 8)

For ANYONE who smokes and wants to give quitting a try this website is the only place I have found that truly helped. I tried patches, etc... but cold turkey was the only way.
http://www.whyquit.com
Look at Joel's library under Education.

Also, beer tastes better 8)

Koop - no more preaching, I promise.

Post subject: Re: OT: Smoke Free
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:33 am 

Koop wrote:
Dave - Free and Healing for Eight Days, 9 Hours and 24 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 17 Hours, by avoiding the use of 210 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $68.21.

Freedom baby... 8)

For ANYONE who smokes and wants to give quitting a try this website is the only place I have found that truly helped. I tried patches, etc... but cold turkey was the only way.

Koop, years ago I was a smoker (3-4 packs a day).
I could never cut down. My only choice was to smoke or not smoke and I eventually chose to not smoke. Cold turkey was the only way for me to do it.

Fast forward many years and I found myself in the emergency room with a health problem. The doctors told me if I hadn't quit smoking when I did, I probably would have been dead.

As you can see, I don't regret my decision to stop smoking. I'm sure you won't either.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am 

Less cigs = more pool/beer $$$ :mrgreen:

Rock on, buddy!!!

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:41 am 

I quit for a few yrs once by using the patch. Something just clicked in my mind & I did it. I haven't had that "click" since then & the patch hasn't worked.

Wellbutrin worked the first time I used it. I had quit for about 2 yrs and started back on a drive down to SC. I didn't want a cig, I just did it out of boredom cause I tend to smoke the most when I travel. I had just changed jobs, didn't have insurance benefits yet and the wellbutrin was ridiculously expensive w/o a RX card. Since then (with an RX card) I've tried the wellbutrin but the dosage needed to work this time around is too high and my doc won't agree to it.

I'm at the point that until that "something clicks" in my mind again, I'm going to need help in a pill form. The latest stuff on the market has been raved about by users but there's a few problems with that too. It's really expensive and not covered by insurance. Also, my doc said they're now starting to see some physical side effects that they weren't initially aware of so again, he won't do it.

Koop, I'm seriously proud of you! I've been down that road and it's hard as heck, esp when you drink! I've failed many times on that road and kudos to you for not failing my friend. Big kudos to you!

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out when I get home tonight.

Tims <--- proud of and very happy for koop (and his family!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 am 

Timberly wrote:

Thanks Tims.

Check out this link first: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_03_Q ... oking.html

Go through each one. Strangely, all my previous attempts at quitting failed because I didn't have the knowledge that this site gave me.

Rich, good for you buddy and thank God you quit. See you soon man.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 am 

Koop wrote:
Timberly wrote:

Thanks Tims.

Check out this link first: http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_03_Q ... oking.html

Go through each one. Strangely, all my previous attempts at quitting failed because I didn't have the knowledge that this site gave me.

Rich, good for you buddy and thank God you quit. See you soon man.

Koop, it's not about me now. I did my thing many years ago. Thankfully, you quit. Keep it up and I will definitely see you soon.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:01 am 

Koop wrote:
...Also, beer tastes better 8)

Also ? Did you say "Also" ? Surely you meant "first and foremost" ! I'll forgive you just this once.

Just out of curiosity, do you keep active Dave ? At 50 my activity level is way down from my jockular youth, and I've added an inch or two to my waistline as a result of quitting. If I have any regrets it's that I didn't do more exersize/workouts as part of quitting.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Good Job. The money you save on cigs will buy you a nice cue and you will have plenty left over to buy me lots of Mich Ultras.

Koop wrote:

Freedom baby... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:08 am 

Way to go Koop!! You hang in there. It gets easier with each passing day.

Timberly, I agree that you must have your own motivation. For a whole year before I quit I reminded myself that on such-and-such a date, I will not smoke anymore. You have to be fully committed to trying.

Barbara<~~~9 years smoke free this month

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:16 am 

davek wrote:
Koop wrote:
...Also, beer tastes better 8)

Also ? Did you say "Also" ? Surely you meant "first and foremost" ! I'll forgive you just this once.

Just out of curiosity, do you keep active Dave ? At 50 my activity level is way down from my jockular youth, and I've added an inch or two to my waistline as a result of quitting. If I have any regrets it's that I didn't do more exersize/workouts as part of quitting.

Dave

LOL Dave. I do keep active but not as active as I should be. I am starting at the gym next week and just want to do cardio for about a month. It will feel good to walk/run without feeling like my heart is going to explode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:17 am 

Murray Tucker wrote:
Good Job. The money you save on cigs will buy you a nice cue and you will have plenty left over to buy me lots of Mich Ultras.

You going to VF this year? Mich Ultra's coming your way :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:18 am 

Barbara wrote:
Way to go Koop!! You hang in there. It gets easier with each passing day.

Timberly, I agree that you must have your own motivation. For a whole year before I quit I reminded myself that on such-and-such a date, I will not smoke anymore. You have to be fully committed to trying.

Barbara<~~~9 years smoke free this month

Thanks Barbara and congratulations to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm 

Great going, Koop! You won't miss those "middle of the night" coughing fits or the lack of stentch in your car/clothes, etc here soon..... and you'll notice it on others and it'll actually be somewhat nauseating..

I haven't had a cigarette since April 4th, 2007, so coming up on two years for me... Quit cold as well, which is the only way to go.

[AndyB] 11:04 am: wanna see something gay?
[pharaoh68] 11:04 am: sure!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm 

1pRoscoe wrote:
Great going, Koop! You won't miss those "middle of the night" coughing fits or the lack of stentch in your car/clothes, etc here soon..... and you'll notice it on others and it'll actually be somewhat nauseating..

I haven't had a cigarette since April 4th, 2007, so coming up on two years for me... Quit cold as well, which is the only way to go.

Thanks buddy. You know what's funny, after only 8 full days I could smell it on my buddy last night at pool and it was nasty. Good going for you too. See you in a couple of months.
Did I mention beer tastes better now too 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 pm 

Great going Koop! Now go out this weekend, and eat your favorite meal, and let us know how it was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next