pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:50 pm 

I would like to add that I think your cues are beautiful and elegant. I think some cue makers try to squeeze too many inlays into their designs suggesting that more inlays and/or more complicated designs equals higher value. It's just my personal opinion, but I prefer more simple, but elegant and precise designs with complimentary wood/materials combinations. I think you do that better than anyone out there.[/quote]

Boy I could give a twenty minute speech on this topic. Lucky for all or you I cant type very well. (not even as well as Jimbo)

The syndrome you speak of I call "ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag". Many Cue maker still have the "counting inlays" mind set. "This cue has 108 inlays so it MUST be worth more than that cue, it only has 62 inlays". Not my way of thinking at all. True artistic simplicity is magic. When an artist is able to make a few perfectly timed stokes with a brush and have people stand back and say "wow, there is somthing about that I really like" That's magic!

"More inlays means more value" is one mind set, here is another. "One-of-a-kind".

I am constantly in the position of people wanting me to build them "something different". Something "one of a find". "Can't you just add some extra inlays here or there- that will make it different"? "Yes, that would make it different. It will also make it suck"- is usally what I'm thinking. I always want to say (but never do) "I'm glad you like my work. I have a few one-of-a-kind cues you might like". "I promise I will never make them again". All for the same reason. THEY ARE UGLY AS HELL!!

(Looks like you've got me on a rampage.)

As you can tell I'm not very big on the "One-of-a-kind" concept. In my opinion too many collectors seem to think just because there is only one of something that means it has value. How much money do you think it would cost if you went to BMW and said "I would like a one-of-a-kind BMW". "You dont have to change anything on the inside, I would just like a different body style."

I do have to admit, those of you (Jimbo I'm talking to you) who have one of Thomas masterpieces from years back have a one-of-a-kind treasure. However this one-of-a-kind concept was the over arching force that has almost put him out of business. He came to Valley Forge, the BCA Trade show and The Gallery of American Cue Art every year with ALL NEW DESIGNS. So his work is spread all over the country in private cue collections, cue cases and closets- and 99% of the billiard public will never see his creations. Not all of those cues were works of art but many were. He found you just cant keep going to the "creative well". Many of those designs should have been reproduced because they were great. He could not keep pumping out disigns on "a one-design, one-poolcue, one-sale basis". It's just too much work to come up with a "unique" design that really works. It put him out of the game. In my opinion Richard Black is the most prolific cue designer and has fought this chalenge better than anybody. Hats off to Richard.

My having this position and choosing to repeat my design (usually less than 10) causes some collectors to view my work as less worthy than other cuemakers "one-of-a-kind" creation. Oh well. You can't please everyone.

My point is this: Just stacking on a bunch of inlays does not make a cue valuable or artistic. Fancy cue making is a unique American art form. When a cuemaker creates a design that really sings- that's art, thats magic, that has value. More stuff is just more stuff.

That my story and i'm sticking to it.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:43 pm 

Jerry McWorter wrote:

My point is this: Just stacking on a bunch of inlays does not make a cue valuable or artistic. Fancy cue making is a unique American art form. When a cuemaker creates a design that really sings- that's art, thats magic, that has value. More stuff is just more stuff.

That my story and i'm sticking to it.

Jerry

Well said. Tip of the hat.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:44 pm 
There's another cuemaker who posts occasionally here who uses a Sharpie Magic Marker to draw his rings - it really keeps the cost down, you know what I mean?

Have you ever tried this technique? Even though I'm not a cuemaker, the idea of a Sharpie just didn't cross my mind.

Yours truly,
The Woim<----Loves Jerry McWhorter's work!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:18 pm 

The Woim wrote:

Yours truly,

... just not quite enough to spell his name correctly. (I'll give you a hint. Look how he spells it)

Roger - was confused himself earlier, but paid attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 pm 

Hi Jerry,
Do you still build "players cues"? Also I was wondering what your favorite pool game is? Also I must add that your cues are a cut above the rest in design and execution. Thanks for taking the time answering our questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:34 am 

Rich R. wrote:
Jer,

You have mentioned making multiple cues of the same design. Do you limit, in any way, how many cues you will make of the same design?
Also, do you make exact copies of the design or do you insure that there are some small differences in each?

Hey Rich,
There is a natural limiting of my designs. I still make (like most cue makers) a classic 6 point cue with veneered point and simple Ivory ring above and below the wrap. I tend to make 10 - 15 of those per year (in many different woods). That is one of my entry level designs so there is the widest demand for those cues due to price point. The most expensive designs I have such as the "Victorian" or the all Ivory "Deco" have a much smaller customer base also due to price point. Everybody loves those cues but $6000.00- $7000.00 is ALOT of money for most people to spend on something because it's pretty. The most common range for me is $3000.00 to $4500.00 and that covers most of the designs I build. That is still allot of money but manageable for the cue buying public.

I actually try very hard to create designs that I can build in the $2200.00 - $3000.00 price range. I'm always trying to build cues in a price range that’s affordable but still has some style and value to them. It's very hard. All the cues you see on my web site I build in many different woods and materials so its actually pretty rare for me to make the "exact same cue".

So to answer your question, I don't formally limit the production of my cues except in cases like my 20th Anniversary design. (that design is limited to 20). The Amboyna collection was limited to 5 sets (all in different woods).

Thanks
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 am 

Jerry, I have to say that the most beautiful work of art on your site is the pic of Mrs Jan McWorter... Halli Berry is ok but...[/quote]

What a nice thing to say. Thank you Very much. That's Gods handy work.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 am 

RogerO wrote:
The Woim wrote:

Yours truly,

... just not quite enough to spell his name correctly. (I'll give you a hint. Look how he spells it)

Be nice Roger- thats one of my fans your talking to.
By the way, if you see me at Valley Forge ask me the story of why I dont spell McWorter with an "H". Long story and almost interesting.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 am 

Jerry McWorter wrote:
Be nice Roger- thats one of my fans your talking to.
By the way, if you see me at Valley Forge ask me the story of why I dont spell McWorter with an "H". Long story and almost interesting.

Jerry

I'm sure it's an interesting story, not unlike the many Ellis Island stories where names were changed. My grandparents came from Italy. Their last name begins with a "J." There's no J in the Italian alphabet. As I mentioned, I too was confused by the spelling. Before I replied to the Woim, I went to the Blue Book to make sure that YOU were spelling it correctly ;-)

Roger - really did check the Blue Book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 pm 
RogerO wrote:
The Woim wrote:

Yours truly,

:oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm 

Jerry McWorter wrote:
[...]

As for Thomas Wayne, one of my best friends in or out of the business[...]

[...] He has been a great friend and I love him dearly. If he would just finish that Dale Carnegie course everyone else would too.
[...]

"Well you remain a sweet, crazy brother to me,
you know I love you like I should,
You never talk dirty behind my back;
But I know that there's some out there that would. "
[John Martyn 9/11/1948 - 1/29/2009 R.I.P]

TW
(PS: Dale Carnegie was a fag.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:
Hi Jerry
On all the different materials you work with, Your finish doesn't show signs of shrinkage, Most impressive, any hints?

Hey Mike,
The old shrinkage problem. First of all thank you for the compliment but we all fight it. That is the nature of combining two or three different types of wood and metals (Silver). I think the most important thing is to have your fits as tight as possible and use an epoxy that gets very hard. (I like West Systems). As you know the lines you see around inlays is usually the epoxy shrinking between the inlay or veneer. The tighter your fit the less epoxy there is filling. The other thing I would say is that it is somewhat unavoidable in some combinations. When your combining Amboyna burl, Ebony and Silver they will all shrink and stabilize at different rates once they are cut off from the air by being put under the finish. The absolute best case is to let all the materials stabilize under the finish. A then, sand out and refinish the cue 6 months later.
The first finish is never as good as the sand out and re-spray 6 months later.

(Now shrinkage in cold pool. That I can not help you with).
See you in Valley Forge
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm 

Jerry McWorter wrote:

Hey Mike,
The old shrinkage problem. First of all thank you for the compliment but we all fight it. That is the nature of combining two or three different types of wood and metals (Silver). I think the most important thing is to have your fits as tight as possible and use an epoxy that gets very hard. (I like West Systems). As you know the lines you see around inlays is usually the epoxy shrinking between the inlay or veneer. The tighter your fit the less epoxy there is filling. The other thing I would say is that it is somewhat unavoidable in some combinations. When your combining Amboyna burl, Ebony and Silver they will all shrink and stabilize at different rates once they are cut off from the air by being put under the finish. The absolute best case is to let all the materials stabilize under the finish. A then, sand out and refinish the cue 6 months later.
The first finish is never as good as the sand out and re-spray 6 months later.

(Now shrinkage in cold pool. That I can not help you with).
See you in Valley Forge
Jerry

Thank you, I like west also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59 pm 

Bells wrote:
Hi Jerry,
Do you still build "players cues"? Also I was wondering what your favorite pool game is? Also I must add that your cues are a cut above the rest in design and execution. Thanks for taking the time answering our questions.

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes I do still build player cues. I even make a few plain front cues every year. (I don’t show them on my web site). I always have two or three 6 point cues and simple crowns when I go to Valley Forge.

I am a 9 ball player. That’s what I grew up playing and when I'm in stroke it's by best game. I love one pocket but I don’t play very well. I LOVE straight pool but don’t play it as well as 9 ball. They started an in-house straight pool tournament here in Ventura. About 3 months ago I ran 85 ball (which was my high run) the problem is I haven’t run 40 balls since. (very difficult game).
I currently play pool about 5 hrs a month. More music than pool. This working for a living really gets in the way of the good life.

Jerry

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:08 am 

I think Jerry answered all our questions, He needs to get back to making cues for VF. I want to thank him for all the time he took out of his busy schedule. I'd also like to thank TW for crawling out of his hole to say hello.

For all those going to VF please stop by Jerry's Booth and check out his cool designs and perfect execution.

You ROCK Jer, Thanks.

Jim <----One more in the books

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5