pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:31 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:
How do you dye your epoxy to match the wood so well? Looking at your cues I can hardly see the glue line.

To get back on topic here's a pic of one of my favorite designs.

Jim <---Thinks it would look good in PH without the long points

Attachments:
MCW1.jpg
MCW1.jpg [ 66.95 KiB | Viewed 6912 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 pm 

pharaoh68 wrote:
Hi Jerry-

and finally, on a NON-pool related note...

5) Could you name the top 5 drummers (your opinion) of the last 25 years?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
-Brian

First let me say your cues are amazing, but what keeps you going whats that spark?

Drummers in no particular order.

Buddy Rich <---- number one
Pert
Bonham
Moon
Appice

and you cant forget Animal of Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 am 

PBat51 wrote:

Jim <-----Turns out one of my fav drummers also likes McWorter cues???

Attachments:
animalwcue.jpg
animalwcue.jpg [ 53.59 KiB | Viewed 6886 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm 

Hi Jerry
Long time listener first time caller......

I was wondering do you have a preference between the artistic or traditional cues?
Also who influenced/inspired you to get into cue building?

Thank you for your time
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:37 pm 

PBat51 wrote:
Buddy Rich ---- Died 21 years ago. The last 4 years of his work were not really enough to put him in this category. Sorry.
Pert ---- Ok. He's a good candidate.
Bonham ---- Died 28-29 years ago. Ineligible. Again, sorry.
Moon ---- Died 30 and 1/2 years ago. Ineligible.
Appice ---- Assuming you mean Vinnie, I suppose he fits.

and you cant forget Animal of Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem. ---- Got his butt kicked by Rich on the Muppet Show in a drum-off!!!

Ok. Now that we got that cleared up, I'm looking forward to Jerry's answers to ALL questions asked.

Thanks again Jerry.

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm 

pharaoh68 wrote:
PBat51 wrote:
Buddy Rich ---- Died 21 years ago. The last 4 years of his work were not really enough to put him in this category. Sorry.

and you cant forget Animal of Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem. ---- Got his butt kicked by Rich on the Muppet Show in a drum-off!!!

Ok. Now that we got that cleared up, I'm looking forward to Jerry's answers to ALL questions asked.

Thanks again Jerry.

I assumed he meant Carmine Appice, but I could be wrong. Carmine definitely fits the bill.

I can't wait to read Jerry's answers. I only wish I could think of a good question that someone didn't ask already. :roll:

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 pm 

What is the most rewarding aspect of cue building for you?

1) The creativity of it?
2) The execution of a design?
3) Making someone's vision come to life through a combination of the previous 2?
4) Something else completely?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 am 

pharaoh68 wrote:
PBat51 wrote:

Thanks again Jerry.

yes I meant Vinnie.

what hitting skins with sticks has changed that much in 30 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 am 

As far as playability... what combination of materials do you think provides the best playability/feel/hit for one of your cues or even cues in general...

Joint type and material?
forearm wood?
points/no points?
ferrule material?
anything else?

Thanks a lot for taking time to answer our questions...

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 am 

tough crowd... :mrgreen:

do you feel that your cues are now more "works of arts" to be admired or do you feel that they are still pool cues to be used and to be played with?

have you every made one that was a great design but had to junk it because it didn't play the way you wanted?

can i get the location of your trash can for junked cues so i can go dumpster diving?

Mezz Cues USA
Kurzweils' Country Meats

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:36 am 

Since Jim broke the ice in picking a favorite McWorter design, here is my choice.

Jerry, was there any specific inspiration for this design?

Scott

Attachments:
DSCF1620r.jpg
DSCF1620r.jpg [ 83.44 KiB | Viewed 6684 times ]
DSCF1624r.jpg
DSCF1624r.jpg [ 73.72 KiB | Viewed 6688 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm 

JimBo wrote:
PBat51 wrote:

Jim <-----Turns out one of my fav drummers also likes McWorter cues???

JERSEY JER <======== Thought jim couldnt photochop????

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:33 am 

ScottR wrote:
Since Jim broke the ice in picking a favorite McWorter design, here is my choice.

Jerry, was there any specific inspiration for this design?

Scott

Good grief, that is awesome!!

Jerry,
Jim has maintained (I think) that anybody, somebody like me for instance, can be creative and take a big part in the design of the cues they buy. I'm of the opinion that some of us just don't have that gift. We can rework the traditional designs, but we can never really come up with something truly unique. What is your take on that?

I look forward to your answers to this and the previously asked questions
Steve. <== Once was a very poor drummer and thinks Gene Krupa was the best that ever was.

"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." Victor Hugo-Les Miserables

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 am 

[
1) In your cues I can see a huge Thomas Wayne influence, can you please tell us what roll Thomas has played in your evolution as a cuemaker, also tell us a little about how you feel about Thomas’s influence on the cuemaking industry.

2) Your Bluebook bio says you made your first cue as a high school project, do you know where that cue is today? Is it still straight and playable? Do you have a picture of it?

3) My favorite McWorter cue is the one you made for the Greco Roman collection, how hard did you find it to do a 1 of a kind design and do you see more theme type cues in your future?

Jim <-----Big fan of Jerry’s work, and will give others a shot now.[/color][/b][/quote]

Hey Jimbo, First and foremost. I need a few more shirts. (JimboArmy large)

Ok lets get started.

As for Thomas Wayne, one of my best friends in or out of the business, people occasionally comment on our similar styles in design. I'm sure he would say my look and ideas have had as much influence on him as he has had on me (which is a great compliment). For my money, he is by far the most talented designer cuemaking has ever seen. He is the most creative in design and execution for sure. He is one of those people that just has designs fall out of his head and loves the puzzle of trying to figure out how to build it. I have to labor over my work much more. It does not come as easy for me (most of the time).

Thomas gave me the real start in the world of CNC. He actually hand built my first CNC machine and taught me step by step (over the phone) how to design on my CAD drawing software. But, in terms of design, I always had my own ideas. My very first creative cue design (The Squares, for those of you that might remember) I built on my Gorton pantograph from plastic templates that Thomas cut out for me on his CNC (1993'ish). I faxed him my drawing with measurements and he made the templates for me. He has been a great friend and I love him dearly. If he would just finish that Dale Carnigie course everyone else would too.

My first cue from High school wood shop; I still have it. It has no finish and centainly not much to look at (I was 17 what do you want from me) I should post a pic.. huh.

As far as theme cues go: They're great when I have an idea. When I don't have an Idea they are no fun. Right now I have no ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am 

Catscradle wrote:
Steve. <== Once was a very poor drummer and thinks Gene Krupa was the best that ever was.

He was a pretty good drummer, almost as good as his buddy Cozy Cole who never got the recognition he deserved, but Joe Morello was the all-time master...

I was at a Buddy Rich band gig once when a woman in the audience stood up and shouted out... "Go, Buddy, go!" in the middle of a drum solo. Buddy stopped dead and said into his microphone, "Somebody get that crazy bitch outa here..." and refused to continue until she left.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next