pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 pm 

LAST CALL!!!!

Jerry is a busy guy and can't answer our questions all month, so if you have any more please ask before this thread is closed.

Jim <----let Jerry get back to work

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm 

Jerry McWorter wrote:
...Now the questions are getting serius! Levon Helm (from "The Band") Simple, musical, swampy, all heart.

A man after my own heart, I love The Band. I assume you've read This Wheels on Fire, if not, I wholeheartedly recommend it. Until reading that book I bought into the myth that The Band was all about Robbie Robertson, it was eye opening.

I thought of another question prompted by your logo, "A cue that actually plays as good as it looks". If I were to buy one of your beautiful cues, I'd be very tempted to let it set on display out of fear of damaging it or having it stolen. So it prompts me to ask ... Does it bother you if somebody buys one of your cues for display only, never to play with it? I asks because your logo suggest you are quite proud of the playability of your cues.

"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." Victor Hugo-Les Miserables

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:41 pm 

The Hamster wrote:
Catscradle wrote:
Steve. <== Once was a very poor drummer and thinks Gene Krupa was the best that ever was.

He was a pretty good drummer, almost as good as his buddy Cozy Cole who never got the recognition he deserved, but Joe Morello was the all-time master...

I was at a Buddy Rich band gig once when a woman in the audience stood up and shouted out... "Go, Buddy, go!" in the middle of a drum solo. Buddy stopped dead and said into his microphone, "Somebody get that crazy bitch outa here..." and refused to continue until she left.

I have a new tag line!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 am 

Jerry
Do you have a favorite out of the designs you've created?
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 am 

Jerry,
Great answers and very much appreciated.

Will you have some new cues for sale at SBE in March?

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:17 pm 

Thanks for answering all the questions Jerry.

I have one question...Do all your cues have the same style of joint? If so, why do you pick a certain type of joint?

I would like to add that I think your cues are beautiful and elegant. I think some cue makers try to squeeze too many inlays into their designs suggesting that more inlays and/or more complicated designs equals higher value. It's just my personal opinion, but I prefer more simple, but elegant and precise designs with complimentary wood/materials combinations. I think you do that better than anyone out there.

http://TubeBilliards.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 pm 

Skippy9Baller wrote:
Thanks for answering all the questions Jerry.

I have one question...Do all your cues have the same style of joint? If so, why do you pick a certain type of joint?

I would like to add that I think your cues are beautiful and elegant. I think some cue makers try to squeeze too many inlays into their designs suggesting that more inlays and/or more complicated designs equals higher value. It's just my personal opinion, but I prefer more simple, but elegant and precise designs with complimentary wood/materials combinations. I think you do that better than anyone out there.

If I understand you question correctly, this was asked on page 1 by AndyB and answered by Jerry on page 3.

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:58 pm 

MBTaylor wrote:
What is the most rewarding aspect of cue building for you?

1) The creativity of it?
2) The execution of a design?
3) Making someone's vision come to life through a combination of the previous 2?
4) Something else completely?

"Rewarding" is a good choice of words. Doing anything that is creative has it's personal reward. As I have said before I am really only driven by my own personal taste in design. I try to build what I like. I enjoy the creative process when it's clicking. The processes I have for building a good playing, straight, well balanced, solid, harmonic pool cue I have "had down cold" for many years. So the creativity is all in the design and execution of design. When those juices are flowing it's fun. When I create something I really like it's rewarding, when other people like it as well it's very rewarding.

Thanks for asking
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:46 pm 

ScottR wrote:
Since Jim broke the ice in picking a favorite McWorter design, here is my choice.

Jerry, was there any specific inspiration for this design?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting the pic. I call that design "The Deco". I remember when I designed that one. That was one of those ideas that just popped out. I was standing in my shop watching one of my machines run and for some reason that idea popped into my head. I picked up a piece of paper made a quick sketch and it was done. I knew it was different and I knew it was good. Done. I love it when that happens.

One more note on that cue pic. That is one of the very first "Deco" I built. I have probably made 10 or 15 of that design over the years in many different woods but that one is different. If you look closely at the point where the silver flares out, there is a little wedge of Birds eye between the flared silver. I changed that little wedge to black. I have the "Deco" pictured on my site. You can see the slight difference. I think that slight change draws your eye to the silver work a little more.

Thanks for posting
Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:40 am 

[quote="1pRoscoe"]Hey Jerry - I just thought of a few more questions that are pretty important/close at heart to the members here....

1: What do you think of dealers? (Would you prefer to sell direct to the end user or utilize a dealer?)
2: Provided you are selling directly to an end user, how do you feel about people reselling your cues? (either at profit or loss, they both have good and bad....)

If you do a Google search for my cues you will see lists of dealers that advertise my cues for sale. Almost none of them actually have any of my cues. Most of them just use my name (as well as other makers) just to get traffic to their site. Most of them have never had one of my cues and never will because they will never actually buy one for their inventory. They just want to use my name to help them sell a cue that they can make 100% profit on. Some dealers run across my cues through trade-in's or they might buy them used. I have no problem with that. There is a great need for a healthy secondary market. In Japan I work almost exclusivley through a dealer network. I travel to Japan every year and never sell cues directly to players with out the assistance of a dealer. However, Japan is very different from the U.S. in that way. As far as the states go, I really only have one active dealer and that is Bill Grassley from Cornerstone cues. Bill regulary buys cues, orders cues, advertises (product that he owns) and sells on a very low margin for the true purpose of creating a win, win, win, situation. (That being - making a living for himself, providing a good product at a fair price for the customer and helping the cuemaker make a living.) Martine Backman is another dealer that actually lays out her money to buy cues at a fair price. Some dealers seem to think they should make more money than the cuemakers.

On the dealer topic I will share one more piece of information. I do not court dealer business because I don't offer very much dealer discount (without naming numbers it's VERY low according to the industry norms). I do not want to be in the position of having to offer my cues at an inflated price to the buying public in order to protect the dealers profit margin. People often are surprised at my prices being lower than they expect. The price I quote is really the price I mean. In some cases the dealer mark up has hurt the cuemaker and the buyer. The death nail for a cue maker is when a customer buys a cue for $5,000.00 and when he trys to sell it he can't get $2,000.00. That's BAD for everyone. The customer feels like a sucker, the cuemaker's name loses value and the dealer lost a customer. Selling high-end cues it a tough living. The best dealers work on a very low margin and for the most part sell cues because they love the art form. My hats off to them.

That's alot of words

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:54 am 

Jer,

You have mentioned making multiple cues of the same design. Do you limit, in any way, how many cues you will make of the same design?
Also, do you make exact copies of the design or do you insure that there are some small differences in each?

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 am 

thepavlos wrote:
Jerry
Do you have a favorite out of the designs you've created?
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for asking.
After giving it some thought, I think my favorite would have to be "The Pinnacle". I think that design has stood the test of time, at least to my eye. The truth is my favorite is what ever new design is getting my heart going at the time. I hope my best is yet to come.

Thanks
Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 am 

Hi Jerry
On all the different materials you work with, Your finish doesn't show signs of shrinkage, Most impressive, any hints?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:02 pm 

ScottR wrote:
Jerry,
Great answers and very much appreciated.

Will you have some new cues for sale at SBE in March?

Scott

Hey Scott,

I know I will have one new design (not pictured on my site). Im hoping to finish another in time. I always try to have a nice cross section of my work on display in Valley Forge.

Be sure to intrduce yourself.

By the way. Why does Halli Berry keep sending me pictures of her self. Im starting to feel bad, I never send one back.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:08 pm 

Jerry McWorter wrote:
By the way. Why does Halli Berry keep sending me pictures of her self. Im starting to feel bad, I never send one back.

Jerry, I have to say that the most beautiful work of art on your site is the pic of Mrs Jan McWorter... Halli Berry is ok but...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next