pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:24 am 

We've had bigger names in our ATCM series but in this media this man could have the biggest reputation yet. Eric Crisp is an internet phenom who started to make cues back in 2000 in Korea while serving his country in the military the early work had some issues, but in 2002 in the great cue making state of Alaska Eric honed his skillz and began his love affair with beautiful woods that he's know for today. Eric is a full time family man and cues are a side note, he claims he'll build cues for beer but as most know his work is as hard to get as any due to his limited time in the shop and his limited production numbers. Eric is known not for fancy inlay work but for cues that let the wood speak. Eric has been quoted as saying his end goal is to create a cue that will make the game easier.

Eric's wife is home from a tour in Iraq and he will be going away soon, so this thread will go quick, please pass the word along to other cue lovers and get your questions in early and often. This thread will be locked by Tuesday.

As always I get the honor of asking the first questions.

1) I quote you above as saying you want to build a cue that makes the game easier, do you really believe that is possible? If so what aspects of the cue can help that happen?

2) Your post here to King after he listed his favorite cuemakers was spot on and one of my all time favorites, I've not followed any of your posts on other forums was this type of honestly in character with how your posts on other forums are or is it unique to this forum? If so why the change and which is the real Eric Crisp???

3) You are known for your fancy wood squares but those are all butt wood, can you speak a little bit about what goes into what I consider the most important wood in the cue the shaft, what do you look for in a good shaft? What in your opinion plays the biggest role and what do you look for? Weight, Stiffness, growth rings, tone??

4) I understand you have not used books or videos to learn the craft has any established cuemakers opened their door to you as an apprentice type of deal?

Jim <----Thanking Eric for the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:35 am 

5) Can you please list the guys (other then you) who are currently making these cues that make playing easier?? In other words who's cues influence you?

6) I know that inlays are not something you do a lot of (if any) can you tell us if that is by design and will this practice change down the line???

7)When considering all aspects of a cue can you please list the top 5 in order of importance for example but not limited to (Tip, Ferule, shaft, taper, balance, joint material, joint construction, A-joint, tone, bumper)

8) What's some of your thoughts on coring cues and do you core your cues???

9) How many cues have you made life time and how many last year?

10) can you post up a few pics of your shop??

Jim <---10 is enough for now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:45 am 

Thanks for playing, Eric.......

11) Where did you obtain your extensive knowledge of wood and trees?

12) What is the most satisfying part of building a cue? The worst or most unsatisfying?

13) Similar to Jim's question above, what machines are in your shop?

14) Your tag line says that you can't afford a cue. Let's say you can and you want to buy one. Whose do you buy (not your own)?

15) When you started building, did you have a certain hit or feel in mind and develop your construction techniques toward that? If so, what/whose was it?

16) Besides cue building, what other hobbies do you have?

17) What made you decide to see if you could build a cue?

18) Do you exclusively use flat-face, big pin joint configuration?

19) Is worminator really connected to the mafia, like I've "heard"?

20) Does Dave Barenbrugge really exist? Does he really dress his dogs funny?

Thanks.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:33 am 

1. What part of one of your cues do you think attributes most to the playability of it?

2. Other then yourself :lol: , who would your top three favorite cuemakers of all time be?

Thanks for participating in this!

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am 

Similar to Heath's question but instead of 'all time' I'll ask about todays cuemakers.

1) Who are your top 3 cuemakers in the game today (and why)?

2) I've seen plenty of examples of your pointwork but to date, do not recall having seen a veneered point from you. Do you do veneered points? If not, do you ever plan to?

3) I also a big fan of the 'no inlays... let the woods do the talking' mindset. Sometimes, beautiful figure in a wood can be ruined by even the tiniest of inlays. That being said, what are some of your favorite woods to use based on figure/looks alone?

4) Along the same lines as question 3, what are some of your favorite woods to use for PLAYABILITY?

5) I know that a lot of cuemakers don't like answering a question like this, but I gotta ask: are there any cuemkaers that you think are just not doing it right? Whose cues you DON'T really like all that much? (I understand if you don't want to answer - no worries)

6) It seems there have been a few cuemakers in the past month that have 'adopted' a Sugartree look. How do you feel about people using designs that are similar to yours?

7) What is your take on cuegers?

8.) As a proud father who loves his kids AND a businessman who's seen the best and the worst side of the business he's in, would you ever try to dissuade your kids from getting into the same business?

- B <------- pissed that some of the other guys asked some of the questions I wanted to ask. :-(

BTW- The micro rings are pretty effin' cool.

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:29 am 

1) do you have a favorite wood combination for your cues
2) are there any woods you won't work with
3) are you working on any new styles of cues currently; any teasers if you are?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:39 am 

Eric, give me your thoughts on 1/2" Ivory ferrules please. Sleeved I'm afraid will crack and I don't think capped will allow enough room to thread for the tenon. Your expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 am 

Hi Crispy, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

- Please list the following materials u think in order of ugliest to least fugly that has gone in a cue: malachite, trapezoid shaped inlays, turquoise, or disconnected silver barbells. Please feel free to include others not listed.

- On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being pretty fkn scared, how afraid are you of small angry asian girls?

- On a scale of 1 to 10, how afraid are you of cuegars?

- We know that you're a huge supporter of TAR, are you currently sponsoring other people such as hacks and cuegars? If no, can you be scared into sponsoring one?

- Knowing that your wait list is pretty much locked up for now, has anyone approached you w/SACFRESH (tm) in an attempt to get on this list?

- How much do you hate being called Crispy? Are there other nicknames you dont like being addressed as?

Thanks again and looking forward to your answers :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am 

Poolmonkey wrote:

<snip>

The monkey is getting bitter and cranky and sarcastic. :mrgreen:

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm 

Eric,
May I please ask,
1) Oily woods, like Rosewoods, Bacote, Ebony..
a) Do you use something to draw out the oils?
1) If so, how and when (Before doing work on them or after making the cue.)
and with what do you use?
b) Or, Do you just put a sealant over the final surface before spraying clear?
Thanks for your time and help..
Alton - Cue Caps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm 

ScottR wrote:
Poolmonkey wrote:

<snip>

The monkey is getting bitter and cranky and sarcastic. :mrgreen:

Scott

Nah, just trying to be funny hehehe.. besides i could never be as sarcastic as Miss OMGWTF :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:27 pm 

Miss Monkey had nothing to do with this set of questions...

1). Can we call you Rice Crispy? We've already dubbed your brother Cocoa Crispy.

2). Would you trust a vegetarian?

3). What do you consider the most beautiful wood and what do you consider the ugliest?

4). Are there any benefits to building cues in the desert versus somewhere with more humidity?

5). How many cases of beer will it take for you to build me a treehouse?

6). What do you think of having so many men as fans of your wood?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:07 pm 

Crikey.... I thought of asking a few questions until I saw that they'd be #467 and #468, which I doubt he'd get to!!

ps - from now on, when/if you use the word "cuegar", you will follow it with:

This word has been trademarked by 1pRoscoe, not to be used without written permission. :mrgreen:

[AndyB] 11:04 am: wanna see something gay?
[pharaoh68] 11:04 am: sure!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:44 pm 

Welcome Eric

Last edited by Michael Webb on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:43 pm 

omgwtf wrote:
How many cases of beer will it take for you to build me a treehouse?

1. Thanks for agreeing to do "ATCM #4".

2. You might want to ask Jimbo for a special sign on that will allow you to post in this section after he closes it cause there's a lot of questions to answer.

3. Unlike some of my asian female friends, I can't cook, I don't eat as much as them (but they're skinnier, WTF??), I'm not as cute as they are, and I'm also not as greedy as they are. No plethora of questions from me, and no great expectations of a tree house. I just have one simple question.

4. From one beer lover to another, how much beer, and what kind of beer, would it take for you to make me a cue?

Tims <--- only asks for a cue, not a house, knows how to transport cold beer (multiple different coolers for different situations) and needs a nice cue, unlike my asian friends who already have very nice cues. :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next