RIP John Davis

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:19 pm 

Eric-
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I can honestly say this Q&A has given me a certain level of insight as to your cuemaking philosophy as well as your personality. And I gotta add, I like your style... in cuemaking AND in life as well.

I know we've had our differences in the past and have since spoken and put them behind us. I can honestly say I have a good deal of respect for you and wish I knew then what I know now. If I did, I'm sure that situation would have unfolded in a way far different than it did.

You make beautiful cues that are amongst the best I have ever owned and played with. And I too am a Harris and Bender fan!

Again, thanks for taking the time... for giving us insight into Eric the cuemaker and Eric the man. I wish you the best. Now go have a terrific father's day.

- B <----- man enough to admit that he regrets how he handled things.

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

Post subject: una mas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:44 am 

What do you think about these birdseye shafts?

http://www.eyeshafts.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:32 am 

Eric,
Could you tell us about your avatar? Maybe, post some pictures of your cues?

Thanks for taking so much time to do this thread.
Trace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 am 

omgwtf:

Call me anything you want. I answer to "Daddy"

Never trust vegetarians. If you got canine teeth & don't eat meat, something is wired wrong in your noggin.

Sapele is the most beautiful wood. Raman is the ugliest. But any wood has potential to be beautiful is the figure is right....kinda like women.

Building cues in the desert is kinda nice. I had a tough time at first but soon realized that if I left the wood exposed to the elements, the it would season & stabilize very quickly. After a year or two the wood will have warped, cracked, shrunk, twisted, etc. all that it will & is now much easier to work with. The only thing that isn't alleviated is internal stress of being cut or dried improperly.

It'll take a lot of beer to build a tree house. Of course complexity of design will dictate final cost. But be warned, start thinking in terms of kegs instead of cases.

I have to admit that having men giving my wood googly eyes kinda scares me.

playing cue: can't afford one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:07 am 

Timberly:

Tims, if you can get me a steady supply of Alaskan Amber here in NM, then start picking some wood :P I'll work as long as I have an amber in hand :lol: Beer stops, cue stops. I'm like a parking meter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:39 am 

pharaoh68 wrote:
Eric-
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I can honestly say this Q&A has given me a certain level of insight as to your cuemaking philosophy as well as your personality. And I gotta add, I like your style... in cuemaking AND in life as well.

I know we've had our differences in the past and have since spoken and put them behind us. I can honestly say I have a good deal of respect for you and wish I knew then what I know now. If I did, I'm sure that situation would have unfolded in a way far different than it did.

You make beautiful cues that are amongst the best I have ever owned and played with. And I too am a Harris and Bender fan!

Again, thanks for taking the time... for giving us insight into Eric the cuemaker and Eric the man. I wish you the best. Now go have a terrific father's day.

- B <----- man enough to admit that he regrets how he handled things.

Ooohhhhh!! So you're the reason why Eric can't talk about SacFresh anymore, it makes perfect sense now!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:46 am 

Brooklynjay:

Flippers are cool if honest. Liars can go to hell. Seriously, I get some goofy sob stories & excuses why a guy needs a cue, then I see him flip it for double profit a week later.

I would build a cue for a flipper if he were square about his intentions. But he'd be waiting a while :lol:

I certainly never built the first P/J. All I did was introduced high end woods & high end ringwork. Instead of low end, basic custom cues, they are now mid/hi end cues with some collectability. I'm not the first to do it, but think I was the first to make it a standard. Copying is foul. Any builder can do it with their own style, no need to "borrow" mine. But who am I to get upset? I'm doing it for fun & the copiers are just trying to buy food. It's still foul, though. Where's the integrity?

I only raised my prices once due to flippers & that was because my $350 P/J's were going for upwards of $1200. I raised my prices to weed out the hyping flippers & now instead of flipping for $1200, they are flipping for $1600-$1700 :lol: I don't care. Just don't take the fun out of it for me.

Others' blanks are totally cool with me. If you want to pay me $2500 for a sneaky, then i'll use my blanks & it'll take a few years to build it. Otherwise, it's gonna be a schmelke or prathers blank. Titleists are great when converted, if done correctly. But building any cue from a raw 1-piece blank is tougher for me than starting from scratch. A sneaky built correctly is not an easy cue. It's a common misconception amoung buyers & many unknowing builders that sneakies are cheap cues, but that's just because they have no idea what goes into one that is built right.

Depends on who's serving up the sacfresh. It's be economical & effective for you to hire a stripper to deliver it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 am 

8BallDropper:

Wes Hunter is the ACA cuemaker who builds Hunter Custom Classics. He's a veteran of the trade & a fine builder. Anybody who knows anything about cues, knows who he is. He's been around for a long time.

He doesn't make my ringwork or points, either one. In fact, he makes nothing for me. Again, anybody weho knows cues, knows this stuff.

Call me anything you like. It's no mystery that your words hold very little weight, so feel free to call me an assembler if you wish. I find it ironic how non-builders seem to be more opinionated & know more than the actual builders. Even worse is when the guys know nothing about cues but still want to seem like they do. Come to my meager little shop & i'll show you how every aspect of building my cues is performed. I do it myself, from the joint pin to sometimes even the bumper. The rubber bumpers & some tips I buy, everything else I make. You have an open invitiation to see it happen if you feel so compelled to question it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:56 am 

cubswin:

Depends on the beer & how cold it is

Yes, people totally underestimate my slowness ... but they are wising up

I should be coming through MW in late september. Gotta pick up a load of maple I cut & milled this past winter, then visit the MW cue show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:57 am 

BHQ:

I'm just good like that 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 am 

somms69:

The scallops flies came from years of doing butterfly points, refining them as I went. I wanted to keep getting smaller & smaller until they looked proportionate to the cue. I think I found it. It required some pretty intense machine modification but I got it. They are still evolving. My next step will confuse some some people. I won't say what the change is yet but i'm calling them "infinity scallops".

My taper was born from several years of experimentation. It has changed much over the past several years but the past 3-4 years it has been the same. It is not the standard curved progressive taper used so commonly. It is two distinct conical tapers that meet at a predetermined point in the shaft that seems to be the most flexural. So my taper pitch change happens exactly at the flex point in the shaft. This alleviates the flex behind the bridge hand, allowing only the shaft ahead of the bridge to flex. This keeps the cue stroking smooth through the hit & prevents the shaft from flexing inside or behind your bridge, which leads to high deflection & inaccuracy. I hope that makes sense :lol: I could show you in person, but it's tough to say without having a demonstration.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 am 

omgwtf:

I wouldn't use heavy figured birdseye maple for shafts. The more eyes you have & the bigger eyes you have, the closer you get to being burl. I do, however, love the microscopic birdseye with hundreds of thousands of tiny eyes. I don't even mind a few medium size eyes in my standard shafts. But there's a point where it can go too far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:17 am 

Trace:

The cue in my avitar is the cue I built for the ICCS show last year. One of the displaying collectors comissioned that cue. It's ebony, narra & ivory. It has 8 narra points recut with ivory, and 16 narra scallop flies recut with ivory. It took a long time & a lot of patience to get it right. I actually ran out of ivory on that cue & the next chunk I cut into was a different color, so I had to scramble to another builder's shop & bum some ivory that matched what was already in the cue. We think of ivory as white, but when you have 2 shades of white touching, it shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:18 am 

qbilder wrote:
Timberly:

Tims, if you can get me a steady supply of Alaskan Amber here in NM, then start picking some wood :P I'll work as long as I have an amber in hand :lol: Beer stops, cue stops. I'm like a parking meter.

pfft... that's easy... if you're in the northwest... LOL

Thanks for answering all of these questions, great stuff.

[AndyB] 11:04 am: wanna see something gay?
[pharaoh68] 11:04 am: sure!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 am 

What kind of cues did you have before you started making cues? If you didnt play with your own cue that you built. What cuemaker would you have build you one?

Thanks Bryan

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next