pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 am 

I am very pleased to announce that our first ATCM thread is none other then John Showman. John started to build cues in 1992 after moving from PA to FL. John fell in love with tradition style cues back in PA when he was a kid coming up in pool rooms. John is a throw back not only in his style but in his building techniques. He has made less then 30 cues total in the last 2 ½ years and now has a 6 year wait list and many are happy just to get a spot on it (mentioning JimBo Army is a way to get on the list quick)

Some of John’s work can be seen here http://www.ilovecues.com/main_st/showman/js/01.html
As well as here
http://www.showmancues.com/index.html

John is a class act and his cues are as well built as they come, if you are lucky enough to own one I feel you have something worth holding on to. His great sense of humor has been with us on all our moves and now with some luck we can look inside his very small and private shop. As always I kick off the ATCM threads with a few of my own questions.

1) John since your cues are of the classic style can you please give me your take on Cue design theft. As I am sure you know it’s something I have been vehemently against for years on these forums?

2) John please tell us what roll Rocky Tillis and his cues played in your early days?

3) I understand all your inlay work is done by hand, can you explain your process please?

Jim <---Let the questions begin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 am 

Mr. Showman,
Am I on the list yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:55 am 
Site Admin

John,
Thanks for taking time to answer questions.

1a) What kind of cue(s) did you play with before starting making your own and
1b) did those cues influence how you want your cues to look and play.

2) What do you really think of Jimbo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:30 am 

John, I'm also formerly from PA. What part of PA are you from?

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:58 am 

John,

Whats your favorite wood combo to work with?

Is it also you favorite playing combo?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 am 

how did you get into cue making?
did you do a traditional apprenticeship et al?

what's your feelings on all the new cue makers coming on the scene who haven't learned the traditional way?

Mezz Cues USA
Kurzweils' Country Meats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm 

Hi John
-Have you made any non traditional cues?
-Did you come from a machinist background or did you pick up the skills as needed?
-Do you try to put your spin on inlays when you take them from traditional cues?
-How often have you been in the process of putting a cue together and thought to yourself "that isn't going to work"?
Paul <---still thinking of more questions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:16 pm 

Mr. Showman, no questions at this time. Just a sincere "Thank you" for the ebony on ebony cue I have from you. The absolute best playing stick I have. Not too shabby looking either. I can't imagine how you did it, or how you can possibly better it, but I suspect you will. Keep up the incredible work, please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm 

Hi John,

I've always admired your cue work!

1) First, I would like to learn what kind of exacto knives you like to use to do your inlay work, and do you employ the use any electric power tools such as a dremel or carving tool when doing inlay work as well?

2) What do you do to keep yourself in shape to be able to run your foot pedal driven lathe for so many hours at a time without tiring?

Thank you in advance for sharing!!! 8) :mrgreen: :lol:

Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 pm 

Hey John-
love your cues. Elegant, classy, simple, yet unique. Truly beautiful.

Just curious as to what kind of cue you play with (maker, woods, etc.) and assuming that you made it, if you were to play with a cue from any other maker, who would it be and why?

Thanks,
B

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

Like everyone else, I really appreciate you taking the time to post here with us.

1. What is your favorite part of the cue making process? Your least favorite?

B. What do you think is the hardest part of building a cue; especially the part that gives newcomers the hardest time to get right.

3. If you couldn't be a cue maker, what would you like to do?

D. Doesn't that Dennis Searing just piss you off sometimes?

5. Have you made any 6 or 8 point, or box inlay cues?

Scott (class of 2011)

Last edited by ScottR on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:27 pm 

John, first - when do I get my cue?!?!?

Secondly, I've noticed your cues usually lean towards the fancier side... Do you prefer to do a highly ornate cue that will sit and never see the light of day - or - build a plain jane that will be used every chance possible?

What do you get more enjoyment out of - the design or execution?

[AndyB] 11:04 am: wanna see something gay?
[pharaoh68] 11:04 am: sure!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

AlexB wrote:
Mr. Showman, no questions at this time. Just a sincere "Thank you" for the ebony on ebony cue I have from you. The absolute best playing stick I have. Not too shabby looking either. I can't imagine how you did it, or how you can possibly better it, but I suspect you will. Keep up the incredible work, please.

Alex if you have any please post a few pics of the cue so we can see yet another example of John's work.

Jim <-------Would love to see more of John's cues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

1pRoscoe wrote:
John, first - when do I get my cue?!?!?

Secondly, I've noticed your cues usually lean towards the fancier side... Do you prefer to do a highly ornate cue that will sit and never see the light of day - or - build a plain jane that will be used every chance possible?

What do you get more enjoyment out of - the design or execution?

John,
May I suggest a cup and kevlar underwear when dealing with Ross. Unless, of course, you like your sac raw.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm 

Mr Showman.....I have often been curious as to where cue makers such as yourself get the inspiration to continue to do what it is you do? Do you ever get bored with it? Are there times when you just feel like you need a break to 'recharge'? Is there a particular design element that you ever get tired of repeating?

BTW, you do beautiful work....just curious as to what it is that keeps you 'driven'?

Lisa

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next