RIP "Blud"

Another One Gone
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:48 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:
1pRoscoe wrote:
John, first - when do I get my cue?!?!?

Secondly, I've noticed your cues usually lean towards the fancier side... Do you prefer to do a highly ornate cue that will sit and never see the light of day - or - build a plain jane that will be used every chance possible?

What do you get more enjoyment out of - the design or execution?

John,
May I suggest a cup and kevlar underwear when dealing with Ross. Unless, of course, you like your sac raw.

Where's Jay to promote Sac-Fresh when you need him???

[AndyB] 11:04 am: wanna see something gay?
[pharaoh68] 11:04 am: sure!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:54 pm 

JimBo wrote:
AlexB wrote:
Mr. Showman, no questions at this time. Just a sincere "Thank you" for the ebony on ebony cue I have from you. The absolute best playing stick I have. Not too shabby looking either. I can't imagine how you did it, or how you can possibly better it, but I suspect you will. Keep up the incredible work, please.

Alex if you have any please post a few pics of the cue so we can see yet another example of John's work.

Jim <-------Would love to see more of John's cues

I think it is the one that Kam used to own. Super sweet cue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:58 pm 

BoisdeRosie wrote:
Mr Showman.....I have often been curious as to where cue makers such as yourself get the inspiration to continue to do what it is you do? Do you ever get bored with it? Are there times when you just feel like you need a break to 'recharge'? Is there a particular design element that you ever get tired of repeating?

BTW, you do beautiful work....just curious as to what it is that keeps you 'driven'?

Lisa

I've often thought of becoming a pool cue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 pm 

1pRoscoe wrote:

Sac-Fresh
Cupping a Cue Maker's Balls? Keep it Clean When You Cup. Use Sac-Fresh.
Now available in Menthol for that "Extra Tingle."

Mezz Cues USA
Kurzweils' Country Meats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 pm 

brooklynjay wrote:
1pRoscoe wrote:

Sac-Fresh
Cupping a Cue Maker's Balls? Keep it Clean When You Cup. Use Sac-Fresh.
Now available in Menthol for that "Extra Tingle."

Back to chat with you!!!!

Jim <----doesn't know how they get out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:55 pm 

ScottR wrote:
JimBo wrote:
AlexB wrote:
Mr. Showman, no questions at this time. Just a sincere "Thank you" for the ebony on ebony cue I have from you. The absolute best playing stick I have. Not too shabby looking either. I can't imagine how you did it, or how you can possibly better it, but I suspect you will. Keep up the incredible work, please.

Alex if you have any please post a few pics of the cue so we can see yet another example of John's work.

Jim <-------Would love to see more of John's cues

Scott, you are correct, both as to the origin of the cue and it's sweetness. There are pictures on AZB from when Kam owned it, and I believe (memory loss from alcohol abuse) when Mr. Showman was working on it, but I will attempt to take new ones and post them this weekend if able. The ebony on ebony, along with the dark and thin paper veneers, does not photograph well. The pictures from Kam are probably going to be far superior to anything my feeble photo skills can accomplish. Alex.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm 

AlexB wrote:
ScottR wrote:
AlexB wrote:

Scott, you are correct, both as to the origin of the cue and it's sweetness. There are pictures on AZB from when Kam owned it, and I believe (memory loss from alcohol abuse) when Mr. Showman was working on it, but I will attempt to take new ones and post them this weekend if able. The ebony on ebony, along with the dark and thin paper veneers, does not photograph well. The pictures from Kam are probably going to be far superior to anything my feeble photo skills can accomplish. Alex.

Doesn't matter if the pictures show it........ That cue is HAWT!

Subtle is great. I'd love to see and play with that cue some day.

Scott <<== has a certain ebony/ebony cue in mind.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 pm 

first let me say thanks for having me on the JimBo army

1) John since your cues are of the classic style can you please give me your take on Cue design theft. As I am sure you know it’s something I have been vehemently against for years on these forums?

as you probably know most of my cues are based on the traditional style as defined by george and gus.
i feel copying things is wrong and especially making counterfiets, i also feel copying a design from somewhere else and using it on a cue is still the same. just because nobody ever put on a cue doesn't make it original.

2) John please tell us what roll Rocky Tillis and his cues played in your early days?

rocky was a dear friend and i miss him very much. rocky built cues in the traditional way and did some very innovative things like recuts in the 60's. i met him after his stroke when he wasn't very functional but his mind was still sharp, i was able to learn a lot of cue construction from our inumerous conversations. he was a getter done kind a guy who built three houses from the ground up, cabinets and all. he made knifes, did beautiful leather tooling and won blue ribons with his model airplanes. i played with one of his cues for about 7 years.

3) I understand all your inlay work is done by hand, can you explain your process please?

i did all my inlay work by hand until 1999, i was buying premade mop inlays and cutting ivory ones on a bandsaw and sanding them. i've been using a pantograph since. so tecnically it is not by hand but with a machine......but nothing happens unless my hand is doing it. the process i'm using is the schick method of making male patterns twice as large as you want the inlay and casting a female from it for the pockets. i've made all my patterns that i've used . the majority i made by myself and a few i had a master made that i could make my patterns from . this past year i had a good friend making me a pattern for engraving the tops of my joint protectors, ivory coins and but cap/plugs. that's the only pattern i did not make that shows up on my cues. recently i had another good friend making some new masters for some new inlay work.......i'm having trouble with one of them because it is so delicate, i may have to ask him to make me the actual template. i don't know why i've been so stuborn about making my own patterns. it is a big waste of time and doesn't get any cue work done. oh well

billiardly yours john showman

Jim <---Let the questions begin[/color][/b][/quote]

Last edited by johnbo on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 pm 

First post here.

All I have to ask is when are you getting back to Massachusetts? The steaks I have ready to grill are stinking up the house. Please don't tell me you've switched to tofu. My wife is Japanese and big on Tofu. I'm so proud of our daughter when she spits it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm 

Michael Webb wrote:
Mr. Showman,
Am I on the list yet?

of course, i've been trying to get it ready to send it in the mail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:
John,
Thanks for taking time to answer questions.

no no no thank you

1a) What kind of cue(s) did you play with before starting making your own and

my frist cue is a meucci star of david, then a adams which i traded for my rocky tillis, then i played with a dice cue that i made in for valey forge in 98 that did not sell....one of the japanes dealers that bought half of the cues i had did not want buy it he said no dices....since then its been known to all my friends as the "no dice" cue, then i played with the first mop propeller cue i made for my wife, then a hoppe i made for my wife , i finally made a cue for me in 2003 which i finished right before i went to japan. i've been playing with that cue ever since. and i would guess at least five hundred people have tried that cue out including several us open winners and one world champ........boy i love that cue. the last two cues i tried to make for me i couldn't afford to keep. :cry: i've been very fortunately to play a lot with some balabuskas, szambotis, old ginas, joss, and some for quite a while but they were not mine.

1b) did those cues influence how you want your cues to look and play.

yes, its funny the very first cue i ever designed (in my teens ) was meucci styled.......but its more up jimbos' alley.
the more i got exposed to the classics the more i felt in love with them. both looks and play. i also learned that steel joint cues amplified the quality of construction..........meaning certain cuemakers steel jointed cues played better then others.
its funny a steel joint cue is more work/labor but certain cuemakers still offer it as part of the base but charge for ivory when its overrall more cost efective. i guess i am stuborn enought to make steel joints because i love the look and the playability.

2) What do you really think of Jimbo.

now you are trying to get me banned :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 pm 

Rich R. wrote:
John, I'm also formerly from PA. What part of PA are you from?

sharpsville, between pittsburg and erie. paul mottey was the first cue maker i ever met 86 or 87 i believe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:30 pm 

PBat51 wrote:
John,

Whats your favorite wood combo to work with?

its hard to say but you can't go wrong with ebony+maple or rosewood+maple

Is it also you favorite playing combo?

yes although it doesn't really matter cause i haven't been in stroke since i got married :mrgreen:

ps it was nice meeting you at vf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:48 pm 

brooklynjay wrote:
how did you get into cue making?

i've always been artistic and love to make things, its really the only realistic thing i wanted to do. a pro football player was out pretty quick as was playing pool for a living.
being it was something i always want to do i learned all i could about cues , i started doing my own tips and then my friends in my teens then in my early 20's i started doing little things at a friend shop, made my first ring bullet in 1990 so i could have new matching shafts for my tillis, then i made my first cue (yes its a deusie :mrgreen: )in 1992 at 25yrs old...have not stop since.

did you do a traditional apprenticeship et al?

not really, it was mostly mental and not hands on, althought i had experience with machines in my teens.

what's your feelings on all the new cue makers coming on the scene who haven't learned the traditional way?

they still can learn :mrgreen: jk i think it is great there is room for everybody. i especially love the ones who do it out of love.
its funny you say traditional cause when i started a lot of people made fun saying "oh youre making those old kind of cues" but now it seems many cuemakers both new and old are going back to that style.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:07 pm 

thepavlos wrote:
Hi John
-Have you made any non traditional cues?

my wife thiks so but i don't think so......maybe Alexb's? i feel somehow everything i've made is at least a twist on traditional.

-Did you come from a machinist background or did you pick up the skills as needed?

no but wouldn't that be nice. i've always played with TOOLS and used to stay late at middle school and play in the wood shop and the metal shop, i used a metal lathe in 6th grade ... wasn't allowed but my brother was in eighth and the shop teacher let him in the shop after school...so guess what i did.

-Do you try to put your spin on inlays when you take them from traditional cues?

yes on some but the slotted mop diamonds and dots are my favorites. so how you spin them.? gus's propeller is one of my favorite and i have several different twists on the propeller.

-How often have you been in the process of putting a cue together and thought to yourself "that isn't going to work"?

i don't think that's the problem... the problem is doing the quality of work i think is acceptable ...which is not very often.
if you mean ugly i've made a couple of those but the customers loved them and i'm glad because everybody has different taste.
i've been very lucky in a way that i've been pigeon holed in a way that almost all orders have been traditional (which i like) but i haven't had much time to work on newer designs.

Paul <---still thinking of more questions

ps she got the cast of today, now she has a cankle

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next