pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:09 am 

To celebrate our 1,000th member we are going to reinstate the ATCM section, there are some great reads for any of you new members who may not have checked them out yet. Also for those who don’t really know the rules we get to ask questions for a few days and then the CM will come in and answer them and then we close the thread. This isn’t a place to insult or debate, ask any question you want and ask a follow up, just try to be kind and civil and before you know it another will be in the can.

This installment is cue maker Richard Chudy of RC3 designs. Richard was an art student who started to do repair work for a local billiards supply shop, besides working on tables he also build some cues for the company. Richard then took some time off to work in the family business and stepped away from cues until the late 80’s when he started back up and has been doing it ever since. Richard can be found at every ICCS show as well as VF SBE and many other larger cue related shows, he and his team just got back from the BCA show in Vegas where he used a cue rather then sold them. Let me first thank Richard for taking a few days out of his busy schedule and remind people that time to ask questions is now because we will have a few days before he answers them. I will also remind everyone that since I get the jump on everyone I get to ask the first few and I have a lot of them, so let’s get started.

1) Richard in your write up in the BB it claims you studied art in college, how easy or hard did you find it to translate your studies into cues and are there any designs you can point to that reflect a piece of art that you did in another genre.

2) The single sided veneers is a design element that I had never seen before you did it, can you tell us if that is something you invented on your own, and how did it come to be? Did you ever see it done prior to you doing it and why do you feel that in todays world of lazy copy cats have we not seen it copied more?

3) Since I’ve already broached the topic in Q2 can you please give us some thoughts on design theft and maybe a little about the law if you know anything. Also do you ever think there will be a case where a maker takes another maker to court over such an issue?

4) How hard is it for you to come up with a new design that fits into *your look* and what is your take on doing one of a kind designs?

5) Last one for now, what is your take on cue dealers and people who beg to get a cue only to sell the cue in the next week, even though “it’s the best cue they ever hit a ball with”?

Jim<--Can’t wait for some good questions to start rolling in.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:26 am 

Hi Richard and thank you for taking the time for this.
What is your background story. What inspired you to build cues. Who helped/mentored you in the beginning. What is your favorite part in building a cue.
Thanks
Paul

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 am 

Hi Richard,

it´s fantastic that you will take some of your time to come in here and talk with all of us.
I am the proud owner of one of your cues, with a design you created - at least I think so :mrgreen:

1. As Jimbo allready asekd about the one sided veneer design, I have to ask about my favorite design.
How you came up with the idea for the "Dancing Wings", and is it one of your unique designs :?:

2. Has your friendship with Jerry McWorter and your ongoing talking with him helped you with some
of your design ideas and with the "silver - working", or do you not really talk about "cue ideas" and
constructional things :?:

3. How many cues have you built without your silver stiched rings :?:
And do you feel your rings are one of these special elements which you try to have in all your cues :?:

4. Do you still have satisfaction in building cues and trying to find new designs :?:
And how often do you really try hard to come out with "something new" :?:

5. And last but not least, do you want me to send you some more of the chocolate I brought you at VF :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Eric"h" ---- the stupid european (austrian)

http://www.billardpro.at

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 am 

Richard, first of all, I have to say that your booth at VF is always a "must see" for me. I love your cues and hope to own one some day.

Both Jim and Erich touched on the one sided veneers and I'm eagerly awaiting that answer, as I'm very curious about that.

As a former art student, do you look to any particular artists for inspiration for designs in your cues? If not, where does the inspiration come from?

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W.T.F.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 am 

Just as others have said, I thank you for, and appreciate you dedicating the time to respond to this thread.

How do you personally balance design and playability? What significance or importance do you assign to each? I'm referring specifically to effort/man hours dedicated to each (conceptualizing the design, constructing the decorative parts etc. versus shaft/joint/splice planning and construction), and how you prioritize one over the other.

Thanks again!

Delicious meats:
Kurzweil's Country Meats

Blogs:
MassiveUnderstatement: Billiards and Food

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:20 pm 

Hi Richard,

Who is your all time favorite cue builder, excluding yourself :) and choosing from those cuebuilders that are still with us, and why?

Are there any regulary used cue component/materials that you either hate working with or truly love working with?

Understanding that there was (musta been) a lot of trial and error along the the way in coming up with your end to end process of making a cue, what would be the the biggest " AHA!!!" moment thats made the biggest difference? and/or what was the latest one?

Thanks for the contribution Rich, love your work, and stop in chat when you can ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 pm 

only one request from me: could you post some pics, especially of your shop setup ?

J...still in the planning stage(s)

“he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions” (I Timothy 6:4)

www.internationalcuemakers.com
www.pro9.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:25 am 

This is soooo cool. One of my all-time favorite cues is an RC3 cue and now we get a chance to peek inside the creative min behind that cue and dozens of others.

Here are a few questions I have. Thanks for taking the time to answer...

1) is there one wood/material you love to work with more than another a well as one you hate using?

2) are there other cuemakers from the past that inspire you?

3) are tree any youngbloods out there whom you see as the next generation of artistic cuemakers and if so, whom?

4) apart from yourself whom do you see as one/some of the top artistic cue builders out there today?

5) how often do you get a chance to play and what's your favorite game?

Again, thanks for your time. It's so cool to get a chance to ask a few questions to those whose work you admire. And forgive me if there are any typos, lol. It's 8:30am and I'm typing this from an iPhone on vacation with a two year old bouncing on my chest... literally.

- Brian <--------- Burl box cue with one sided veneers.... Aaaahhhhhhhh! :-)

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:03 am 

Hi Richard - hope all is well:

1) What percentage of your cues do you get to build with your designs versus a customer's design?

2) How many cues do you make during a year?

3) Does it upset you that your cue "Stiletto" was not deemed a "monster"?

If you could select three (3) hands down Chudy monster cues which would they be (with pictures)?

4) Details and photos of your shop setup please.

5) We seem to be in some tough times where cues are almost given away at less than cost on the used market. What do you see is needed to fix the new and used cue markets? Will it ever get better?

6) What are your thoughts on low deflection versus non-low deflection? What defines each?

7) Your silver engraving work it very nice. How is this done and what tools/methods are used to layout and finish a design?

Thanks for taking the time to educate an interested audience.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:06 am 

Mr. Chudy,

I don't really have a question, because I haven't seen more than a few of your cues in person. Nor do I know much about you. So I guess my question is, in your own words, who is Richard Chudy? Why did you get into building cues, what do you do for fun?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 am 

Richard,
Do you still do other types of art work to keep yourself creatively inspired? Can you name some artists that personally inspire you? And lastly, what's your favorite pool game to play?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

~Rex
P.S. LOVE the cue you're currently shooting with. Appears to be ebony with a brown wrap. Very clean design! Have any pics or specs on it handy?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 pm 

Richard:
Are there elements of construction that you won't "mess" with because you feel that they affect the structural integrity or "hit" of the cue? Do you think there are any elements that others might use that for this reason you wouldn't?

thanks,
Roger

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm 

Mr. Chudy,

What the hell is 3 behind RC3? Is this a cuemaker thing? Is it similar to Murray Tucker III?

Any comment about current cue market and how it impacts you and/or other cue makers? It seems like "wrapless" cues are more popular, traditional designs are en vogue and "artistic" cues are not in demand or hold values, IMHO. Also, what is the impact of Japan/Asian market which appears to be down? It seems like some cue makers who sold prodominantly in J market are now vying for US market?

Hidy Ho III 3

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:36 pm 

I've really no question. I just want to compliment you on the quality of your cues. I've only shot with one, it is mine, I bought from you directly at VF 2010. It is just a plain ebony cue with a lizard wrap, but as simple as it is it is one of my favorite cues.
Thank You,
Steve Ellis.

"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." Victor Hugo-Les Miserables

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm 

1- What are your favorite woods/materials to work with and why?
2- What are your least favorite woods/materials to work with and why?
3- What were some of your biggest "lightbulb moments" in cuebuilding when things just clicked and made sense?
4- I LOVE shop pics, too. If you could post some, or discuss some of your machinery- inquiring minds want to know.

PS- Great meeting you twice this past 12 months at both SBE and ICCS. You and yours were very gracious to an inquisitive fella!

~Beau

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next