pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:50 am 

To Jimbo and the Army,

I just wanted to say thanks for this agonizing reappraisal. It's made me think a little, which is more than usual, about where I've come from, where I am and where I"m going. Cue making is a pretty funky road to travel so, if you can suggest a twist or two please be my guest.

Thanks again,
Richard Chudy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 am 

I believe we have covered everything that was asked and it's been another great ride, but since my advice to a person in another thread was to come here and ask you a question I was thinking that maybe if it's ok with you we leave this open for just one more day??
I hate to keep you tied up here when you can be off making one sided something new type cues, but pleae give us one more day Richard.

LAST CALLL !!!!!! ( 4 Real this time)

Jim <------Hopes Jake will come by.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am 

rc3 wrote:
To Jimbo and the Army,

I just wanted to say thanks for this agonizing reappraisal. It's made me think a little, which is more than usual, about where I've come from, where I am and where I"m going. Cue making is a pretty funky road to travel so, if you can suggest a twist or two please be my guest.

Thanks again,
Richard Chudy

I'm late to the party. Glad to see this Richard.

Freddie <~~~ asked Richard enough questions

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 pm 

at Jimbos request, and in lieu of me being a puss....here goes.

Richard,

I made a single sided veneer cue, played with it twice, a couple of people saw it, i never represented it as my own design, it has resided in a case for more than a year now. Was never intended for sale. Was intrigued by how you did it. Did it slightly different, but it still screams RC3. Told Jimbo i would cut it up. Had fun doing it, learned alot, not sorry for it as i had fun and there were no immoral motives behind it.

The question in the other thread was "does this make me a scumbag?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm 

rc3 wrote:
To Jimbo and the Army,

Thanks again,
Richard Chudy

Mr. 3,

One more Q ..

Do you have desire/obligation to pass on your knowledge to next generation? Either sharing to more than one person or do you have heir apparent?

Do you do repair works around your area or primarily focused on new creation and repair of your work only?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:12 pm 

Thank you for the reply!

To core or not to core- what's your philosophy?
If so, what materials do you like to use as the core?

Oh, and what brand/types of lathe chuck do you prefer?

~Beau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 pm 

Jake wrote:
at Jimbos request, and in lieu of me being a puss....here goes.

Richard,

I made a single sided veneer cue, played with it twice, a couple of people saw it, i never represented it as my own design, it has resided in a case for more than a year now. Was never intended for sale. Was intrigued by how you did it. Did it slightly different, but it still screams RC3. Told Jimbo i would cut it up. Had fun doing it, learned alot, not sorry for it as i had fun and there were no immoral motives behind it.

The question in the other thread was "does this make me a scumbag?"

Wow, a confession. I hear it's good for the soul. But now you've got me curious. If you wouldn't mind could you e-mail (rc3@pacbell.net) me a pic? I'd like to see how you did it. Professional curiosity. And to answer you...no, at least I don't think so.

Anybody else want to cleanse their soul???

rc3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 pm 

Hidy Ho wrote:
rc3 wrote:
To Jimbo and the Army,

Thanks again,
Richard Chudy

Mr. 3,

One more Q ..

Do you have desire/obligation to pass on your knowledge to next generation? Either sharing to more than one person or do you have heir apparent?

Do you do repair works around your area or primarily focused on new creation and repair of your work only?

You know cue making is not rocket science. I've always said/recommended, when asked, to simply use your common sense and always answer your own questions. That way you are always responsible for what you know and not dependant on any one/thing else. That said I don't really have a desire to pass on my knowledge, at least not yet. And I don't feel obliged either. Why? Most all the info is all ready out their. What a lot of guys don't seem to understand is the development of their own style. But I'd be glad to try and answer any questions.

I started out doing repairs and still do although I might be a bit more selective these days. Just like all the work that needs to be done I still need to make a living.

rc3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm 

ELBeau wrote:
Thank you for the reply!

To core or not to core- what's your philosophy?
If so, what materials do you like to use as the core?

Oh, and what brand/types of lathe chuck do you prefer?

~Beau

Coring is a good thing when done correctly. It creates a radially laminated structure that's stronger than a single piece of wood.

George Balabushka used straight grained maple for most of his legendary cues. Let me see...

Buck, 6 jaw.

rc3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 pm 

Hi Mr. Chudy! (There's already a 3 here and he might take offense to someone infringing on his territory.)

Do you consider your highly designed cues to be more "art" than cue? I mean, when making cues like The Winchester and the Santa Fe Eagle, do you still expect them to be played with regularly or are they to be displayed as artistic pieces in collections?

Have you ever destroyed an artistic piece because you felt it didn't play quite right?

Thanks!

The Mayor

Mezz Cues USA
Kurzweils' Country Meats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:31 pm 

brooklynjay wrote:
Hi Mr. Chudy! (There's already a 3 here and he might take offense to someone infringing on his territory.)

Do you consider your highly designed cues to be more "art" than cue? I mean, when making cues like The Winchester and the Santa Fe Eagle, do you still expect them to be played with regularly or are they to be displayed as artistic pieces in collections?

Have you ever destroyed an artistic piece because you felt it didn't play quite right?

Thanks!

The Mayor

Well Mayor, they are all meant to be cues first and foremost! I expect every cue I make to be used and I always hate to hear 'it's too pretty to play with' but if the work is good enough to hang on a wall as art then someone gets the best of both worlds. Besides if something goes wrong I know a guy who can fix'em.

I've never had to destroy a cue because it didn't play well but I do have some wayward children on my wall that don't look quite right. Even if it's a simple cue it still has to look right.

rc3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:59 pm 

OK it's a wrap. Great Job to everyone who asked great questions (not Ho) and a great job to the man who took the time to answer us.
Thanks again Richard, much appreciated.
Don't be such a stranger stop by and visit us once in a while.

Jim <----Glad to see another ATCM in the books

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4