pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

What is the most off the wall/bizarre thing you have tried? Both in construction and design and how did it turn out?

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 pm 

1) I’ve heard a lot about your new HAAS CNC mill can you tell us a little about this mill and what you use it for in the shop, also I think we’d all like to see some pics of the mill as well as your shop if you have any.

2) You seem to have created a style that is your own, can you tell us where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs, and more importantly what is your take on CDT (cue design theft).
3) In the last 3 years how many cues have you made each year and how many do you plan to make this year, also what is your estimated wait time to receive a cue ordered today, also please tell us how you go about taking orders?

Jim <---- Thanks again Pete. [/color][/b][/quote]

1) We use the HAAS CNC mills for maching joint,butt caps, furells, cutting points, inlay work and allot of other work that goes in to building cues. I will post some pictures.

2) I never now where it is going to come from in tell I see something and go WOW how cool would that be. My take on CDT is it is never going to stop and is a big part of the cue industry. But my thinking is if you copy someone the best you could ever hope for is to be the same as them but never better and most likely you will only have 50% of there sucess.

3) We have been building around 30 cues the last couple off years. My son Arthur has been working with me full time for about a year now and we are starting to build more players cues. The wait time is 6 to 9 months for a simple cue and 1 to 2 years for a big cue. Contact me by email or the phone and we will go over what you would like after that we work up drawing and email them when the drawings are approved we start construction as the numbers come up in the order book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm 

CMD wrote:
I had the pleasure of seeing your cues first hand at the SBE the last few years. This year, I was able to spend a little time in your booth looking at cues in progress. How did you come about constructing some of the intricate "sleeves" on your forearms?

Thank you very much for your time,
Chris

Chris,
I am sorry but I am not willing to talk about cue construction on a public forum. Come see me at SBE next year and I will talk with you about it in person.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm 

Cornerman wrote:
How do your northern west coast cues hold up in , say, west coast Florida?

Freddie <~~~ west coast... Florida

Fred,

We are pretty fortunate in northern california the humidty stays very consitant through out the year we never need to add or subtract water from the air in the shop. I would thing they would hold up the same as a cue from Flordia coming to California.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:55 pm 

chris byrne wrote:
What do you find the hardest part of coming up with a new design to be?

Chris,

Sometimes it just hits me and its like being in a trance while working on the computer the design just flows out and other times there is nothing that I can do to force it. Usely I have a half a dozed new designs that I am working on as time permits and my thoughts about them progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:08 pm 

Jake wrote:
Pete....your awesome, pefect example for all of us.

couple of questions

1) is a cue a cue, or is it more to you? I ask this because i see alot of details in your cues that are hugely appreciable to me in the way that you accomplish/machine some designs. Things that 99.9% of folks including cm's may never even notice. Anyway, if you think some of your witty execution is going un-noticed or un-appreciated then your wrong.

2) whos your favorite cm?

1) To me it is just a cue the more complex it is the more I will enjoy building it after it is completed I lose interest in it. Sometimes after I solve the complex issues I get bored with the cue before it is completed.

2) Richard Chudy, His designs are so fresh and totaly him every time I seen one of his new cues I go WOW.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:21 pm 

John,

johnbo wrote:
Whats your favorite color? Blue

". ". ". Wood? Ivory or rare exotic burls

". ". ". Cue you made? I would have to say Will Prouts Night Spirt. For two reasons the first being the friendship that devolped between Will and myself while the cue was being built and the second is my wife is Native Amerian and all the symbols that were inlayed in the cue mean allot to me.

". ". ". Cue from someone else? If I have to pick I would say Thomas Wayne's Celtic Prince I am a big fan of celtic art. When I look at celtic art I get lost in it.

What material do you want to use that you have not used? Gold, But I have stayed away from it as it does not reflect light like silver.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Pete Tonkin on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm 

rocketq wrote:
What drives you?
The next cue, the next design, the next order, or just simply the love of the craft?

The thing that drive me is to push myself to see if I can do it and I love building cues.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm 

pharaoh68 wrote:
Hi Pete-
Thanks for taking the time to answer a few of our questions. It's greatly appreciated.

1) Of the cues you've built, do you have a personal favorite? I like parts of all of them but I never been completly satisfied with a cue yet.

2) When a big, well known/respected collector places an order, do you ever feel nervous (for lack of a better term) about attempting to meet or exceed their expectations? Or honored to be a part of an incredible collection? I use to feel nervous but not anymore

3) What do you think are the most difficult/annoying materials to work with and why? That being said, are there any you WON'T work with? You just have to approch evry material differnt

4) Do you consider yourself a cuemaker, an artist, or a combination of the two? I concider myself a machinest

5) What cuemakers do you look up to most? Richard Chudy

Thanks again! Sorry it any of these quesions are repeats or just really dumb questions. Lol

- B <--------- is kinda dumb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:38 pm 

Rich R. wrote:
Hi Pete.
Do you have any formal training in art or engineering?

Hi Rich,

No formal training I am more of a self tought designer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 pm 

thepavlos wrote:
Do you have a preference in making traditional spliced cues versus more artistically decorated cues? I like both traditional and comtempary cues so I try to combine both styles

Are there materials that you prefer not to work with? Zebra wood I don't like the way it looks or finishes

Which cuemaker(s) influenced and/or tutored you in the beginning? I have always strived to be differnt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm 

Jersey jer wrote:
Thanks for participating.

1. What took you so long to get here?

2. Prior to deciding to build your own cue and then cues for customers, what cues were you personally using and what elements from them did you try to emulate or avoid?

3. Most Cuemakers seem to have a fellow cuemaker that has been , maybe not quite a mentor, but a 'go to guy' for questions/advice that influenced them perhaps passed on a few tricks. Do you have one? and who is he? what was the biggest help?

1) I am not sure the first time Jim asked I respectly declined

2) I played with a Benson. I used the dimentions from it do the first drawing. Things have changed over the years the only thing that is still the same is the joint dia.

3) Over the years I would call Richard and he would answer my question with a question than if I thought about it would lead to the solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:05 pm 

zeeder wrote:
Pete, thanks for doing this for we who are cue obsessed!

Since you put so much value in all your cues having the same hit can you describe to us the kind of hit your cues have? Have you found the hit characteristics you plan to use for the foreseeable future or is it a continual work in progress to perfect?

I am most concerned that they play the same. I think hit and playabilty are two differnt things. I would have to say my cues play solid and quiet. We have made a small change it the construction that if my thinking is right the cues should play a little crisper. None are completed yet to tell if it worked out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:09 pm 

06Busa wrote:
Jimbo asked. Timeline to build a cue? 6 to 9 months for a simple 4P4V cue and 1 to 2 years for a big cue
How about pricing? Simple 4 point cue, as of today? Our 4P4V players cues start at $1500.00 with two shafts and a leather wrap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:17 pm 

Here are some pictures of the shop and our first HAAS mill. The shop is realy small it is in the back of our pool hall we are moving to a bigger shop later in the year.

Attachments:
IMG_0229 resize.jpg
IMG_0229 resize.jpg [ 162.13 KiB | Viewed 4248 times ]
IMG_0228 (2) resize.jpg
IMG_0228 (2) resize.jpg [ 167.94 KiB | Viewed 4247 times ]
IMG_0223 resize.jpg
IMG_0223 resize.jpg [ 156.29 KiB | Viewed 4246 times ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next