pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm 

Why did you decide to build cues?
What are you ultimately striving for in your cuemaking career?
Do you test hit your cues before delivering?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:59 pm 

Everyone says I ask all the questions yet I have more and if given 22 seconds could think of even more, damn lazyazz people.

1) Can we please see some pics of some of your work, maybe early work that lead up to what we have seen, or even some pics of work currently in the works?
2) can we see some pics of your shop?
3) Can you tell us what inspired you when coming up with the idea for the ICCS cue?
4) do you have any dream cue ideas that you plan to build some day?

Jim <----Might ask more before the day is done

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 pm 

Sorry if these have been asked already. I'm too lazy to go back and read. ;-)

1) Is there any one (or several) cuemakers you'd like to collaborate with?

2) What are your thoughts on ferrule-less shafts?

3) Is there any cuemaker out there that has imparted any knowledge or wisdom on you that helped you grow as a CM?

4) How many cues have you built to date?

5) Is it me or does Jim look like Suge Knight?

[JimBo] 12:29 pm: why is the forum dying?
[Patrick] 12:29 pm: diabetes
[Patrick] 12:30 pm: we need skinnier members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Does Jake know about this ATCM?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:

Yes he does. It's #11 on his list!

Larry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm 

Murray Tucker wrote:

LOL We were waiting for Searing to ask a question before he answers.
Also it was a holiday weekend so I am giving it some time for everyone to see it.

Jim <---Patience grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:13 am 

JimBo wrote:
Everyone says I ask all the questions yet I have more and if given 22 seconds could think of even more, damn lazyazz people.

Jim <----Might ask more before the day is done

not lazy......i am just FAT....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 am 

I see your already understanding " CUE MAKER TIME " when did you embrace it ?

Did you learn it from anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am 

I see your already understanding " CUE MAKER TIME " when did you embrace it ?

Did you learn it from anybody?

Is there an echo in here ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:05 pm 

Are you building cues to order or are you building spec cues?
Do you prefer cored or uncored cues. If cored, what's your preferred coring material?
Cues built using the aid of cnc machinery: handmade, hand crafted, etc?
Other than the designs, do you have anything in construction that you feel make your cues different?
Is there a standard taper, ferrule, tip, etc?

PS- Has anyone offered to trade a website for a cue yet? If not, put me in coach! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 am 

do you want people to play with one of your cues, or just collect them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:14 am 

JimBo wrote:
Jake Hulsey is a 33 year old guy from TX who came out of nowhere to win the 2012 AZ Billiards cue of the year award. He won the award based on his fresh take on cue design and his unique style. Last month Jake displayed another stunning and unique cue that gained him entry into the ICCS as a displaying cuemaker. All this for a guy with a young family and a full time job who has only been making cues for 3 short years. I want to thank Jake for taking the time out of what must be an insanely busy schedule to answer a few questions here and help us all to learn a bit more about this new up and coming cuemaker. As always I have the pleasure of asking the first questions so I will start us off.

1) How did you get involved with pool and cues and how long and at what level do you play?

[b]Well, there were basically just a few guys at our local pool room who were doing it and i thought i'd give it a try! BCA "A" player, of course now that most of my free time is in the shop i'm a scrub. Other than that i've been playing since about 12 years old. My brother and I used to get my Mom to drop us off at the pool hall as we didnt have a table at home.

2) What type of cue did you play with before you decided that you could make one better?

Actually multiple cues but nothing crazy fancy. The last cue i played with was a Darrin Hill. It had 3 shafts "all different specs of course" One played amazing and the other 2 sucked. I was intrigued by the fact that so much could be altered to affect the overall feel

3) What made you think that you could build a cue, do you have a background in machining or any knowledge of woods?

I guess the thought never crossed my mind that i couldnt. The biggest hurdle was figuring out what equipment was needed and how to use it. I started out with a Desktop lathe which was probably extremely wise. I had it little to no time before "i got it" and began the machinery addiction. None of which is to complicated as long as you have common sense. Have no background in machining but now love it. I grew up in the country where we kinda had to just make things happen. I think thats where alot of my mechanical aptitude came from. We did have the typical "country boy" woodworking projects as well as cutting mountains of firewood. When i was 10, I litterally hated wood...felt like a slave when cuttin all that damn wood. I'm now grateful I was made to do it, but it sucked then.

4) Your take on cue design is very refreshing, do you have any training in art or design and is there any other aspect in your life where this artistic side comes through? DO you attribute it to anything in your past?

Thanks, the only real training I think I can attribute anything to would be Drafting in HS and College. I think my creativity shows through in alot of aspects of my life. While alot of it may not be so "artsy" but rather innovative. My natural tendency is apparently to see the big picture and see how it can be improved upon. The difference now is that I have something I enjoy and can focus that energy on.

5) I’ve heard rumors that you bought Bill Strouds shop out, and use his old machines, can you clear that up and if Bill helped you in your career at all?

Bill and I had history from about 2 years ago when he gave away a cnc machine he decided was not the path he wanted to take. This time around i got a phone call from Bill saying that he was done and that if i wanted it, to come and get it. I called riggers and drove out there. This was not an acquistion, it was a donation. I did however cut a small check for a few things addtional that were certainly worthy of purchase. Basically, I was given a million $ worth of equipment for the price of riggers and transportation. That equipment resides in our manufacturing facility and i hope to put some of it to work soon. I've not used any of it yet. Certainly Bill has helped me, he's served as great inspiration where cue design is concerned and is another mark to shoot for.

6) Can you tell us people or Cuemakers who have helped you along the way with your cue making career.

This is a big one.

Early on I was fascinated with a traditional fullsplice blank and how to pull it off. I began trying and struggling etc. I had ordered a few blanks from John Davis as "fortunately" I didnt know of Martin. After speaking with John a few times on the phone, I had somehow miraculously talked him into me visiting and learning to build blanks. I'll never forget the moment when i arrived at his house and walked through the back gate. He was shoveling snow off the sidewalk and the look on his face was like "holy sh...t", what did i get myself into. Obviously not what he was expecting but i get that alot. Anyway, after welcoming what appeared to be a young punk kid in we actually hit it off quite well.

The profound thing about the trip is the transformation that occurred with my outlook. I'm usually the guy who wants it now and doesnt mind paying for it. I had every hope and intention of getting out there and being offered the chance to measure all the jigs and walking away with the keys to the castle. After 2 long days and becoming fully aware of the struggles and heart that John had put into it, I developed a respect that i might not have ever gained otherwise. At the end of my trip John actually offered everything i thought i wanted for free, but by that time i had made up my mind that paying my dues was the direction i wanted to go. John is one of the most amazing people i've ever met and I hold him as close to my heart as my own father.

Shortly thereafter, John introduced me to Paul Drexler who also invited me up, I asked him if I could bring a buddy so Larry and I went and hung out for a few days. Paul started us out at ground zero. He knew we obviously knew how to assemble cues etc. but he wanted us to see the correct way to build a solid cue. I feel like this is where i got a really solid foundation that really helped offset the learning curve and move forward faster without the typical struggles of figuring it out. Alot of the things i've learned from Paul are things I likely would have never figured out or had to go another direction in general. I've been blessed with success where design is concerned but without Pauls guidance i'd still be trying to figure how to put a pin in straight!

As of late, Thomas Wayne has been surprisingly helpful. I say surprisingly because we got off to a rough start but i've since gotten to know him and feel blessed to have gotten the second chance. I'm at the point now that starting and struggling is the way i roll. I'm not going to straight up ask anybody how do i pull this off. Theres been multiple occasions where we've conversed and i've expressed my struggles. He won't usually give me the answer, rather he'll point me in the right direction. This i'm sure is usually by design as hes a smart guy and knows that if i have to work a little for it, then i'll be better for it. My ICCS cue probably wouldn't have been done in time had he not given me a hint on what i was doing wrong.

These are the most prolific so far but there are many others who have helped although they may not know it.

7) Many people out there believe that there is nothing new when it comes to pool cue designs, to those people what would you say?

I can't imagine people actually believe that. Anything that exists can be put on a cue. The problem is getting it on a cue or that it doesnt actually belong on a cue. I think alot of folks subscribe to that notion out of fear of failure. The easy road is the safe one and as such has a much smaller pot of gold at the end. I also think its possible that alot of guys let there lack of equipment dictate there creativity which i can understand but don't agree with.

To those people i say "take a chance"....I mean if you fail then try again or go back to the safe route

In the end i guess the only thing that really matters is did you enjoy yourself and were you true to yourself

And! if your a cue buyer, don't always assume that your builder of choice expects you to order a "cue style A" because he makes alot of them. He might want to push himself but can't really if buyers just assume thats all he wants to build or they may put him out by making a rediculous request. Its up to buyers to push the envelope as much as the builder. Of course this is just my opinion and i know it doesnt apply to everyone but i thought i'd throw it out there.

8) I have mostly focused on cue designs can you give us some background about your thoughts on the way a cue should hit/play and what about your construction techniques go into that aspect of building the cue.

I have pretty much defined my construction techniques and my theory behind them where general construction is concerned. My biggest issue is my opinion. I'm fanatical about the feel and sound a cue makes. For me, it non-negotiably has to have that "what Jake thinks is perfect" feel and everyone does not prefer that. I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that i'm going to have to bend my beliefs slightly to accomodate some customers.

9) I believe you claim that you are too busy right now to take cue orders, what do you hope for your future with regards to making more cues in the future, and taking orders?

Thats a tough one because its tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment. I have a business which is insanely busy right now and 2 very young children. We are currently moving facilities and adding on at work and i've made provisions for a second shop. I'm hoping that will afford me a few hours a day in the shop in lieu of now where its only Saturdays and evenings when the kids are in bed and i can still keep my eyes open. At this rate and with the type of cues i'm building, I might get 10 done this year. I would hope that i can get things refined and get to around 30ish a year.

10) How do you come up with your designs, who has influenced you in that department as far as cuemakers go?

Usually laying in bed at night, then i have to turn the light on and draw them so i don't forget. Or driving, I drive alot. Try drawing some of this stuff while driving down the road! Or i will screw something up and have to come up with a way to fix it, possibly everything you've seen so far has a little bit of that. I think the influence question goes with some others questions so i'll show them some love. Question hog

Jim <----Enough from me for now.[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:16 am 

tattoo wrote:
well jimbo asked most of the question i could think of....
1. how do you think that your out of box designs will be viewed by new cuemakers 25 years from know?

Well, i guess the ultimate hope is that they will not get lost in the mix and will somehow inspire others to do something different. Kind of the same way i look at some of the vets now like Richard Black and Gina.

My Goals in a nutshell are just that....not really cuemaker fame and fortune with a bunch of nuthuggers, rather to end up being someone like these guys who inspired me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:17 am 

ScottR wrote:
Jake,

It was great to meet you at the ICCS.

1. What part(s) of the cue building process do you like most and least? i.e. designing, experimenting, building new fixtures, machining, finishing, the finished product, etc.

2. What were the highlights and lowlights of the ICCS for you?

3. What do you want to be remembered for within the cue world in 30 years?

4. What is your wing-spanned? (inside joke related to Eddie Wheat) :mrgreen:

Thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

Scott

Scott....was good to meet you too. Finally :mrgreen:

1. I like making the blank "butt" This is the part where i get to see the concept come to life and is really rewarding. Really just being able to turn a plain block of wood into something un-imaginable. I'll run in the house and wake up my wife at 2 in the morning to show her. Crazy thing is, she'll always wake up and act interested!

I pretty much tolerate everything after that!

2. The ICCS was great, People were great and the response to the cue was more than i could have hoped for. I had this huge fear that I would be the un-accepted new guy which wasnt the case at all.

The lowlights were not really low but just from being overwhelmed, I feel like i missed something or someone, etc.

3. I'm not entirely sure. I can tell you that it used to be to establish a name like Bushka. After seeing what i've seen and meeting the folks i've met, i think it would be better to leave behind some type of legacy of friendships, mentoring, inspiration etc. That would mean that i get to experience all that stuff now, while i'm alive. If my cues are coveted when i'm done and gone then thats a bonus.

4. All you need to know is its long enough to bitch slap yo ass from Dallas to Atlanta :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:17 am 

chris byrne wrote:
When did you first discover you liked boys?
How does your wife cope with it?

Well, actually it wasnt until I saw you this year at the ICCS

While she is somewhat jealous, she totally understands as she agrees it would be very difficult to deny a sexy beast such as yourself.

P.S. Aren't you the one who was inviting all the boys wood shopping? :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next